southpaw23's reef

southpaw23

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Gee... tats some nice shapes of the rocks and great scaping . :D the elevation of the base would provide water current passing thru the rocks, good work. B) Intending to add more rocks ?

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member

Don't have any plans to add anymore rocks for now. My wife doesn't quite like the cluttered look so i'm keeping the scaping as is. Kinda like the open space on the sandbed :)

Speaking of circulation, yes the elevation of the rocks help...but i think i need more circulation cos as of now, it's only handled by my 12m3 plus Wavysea. So current is pretty gentle for now. I'm concerned about deadspots along the swim thru caves etc.

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

well, time will tell where the dead spots are... then maybe to add a smaller wavemaker to help further strengthen the circulation to prevent dead spots:)

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

• SRC Member
Don't have any plans to add anymore rocks for now. My wife doesn't quite like the cluttered look so i'm keeping the scaping as is. Kinda like the open space on the sandbed :)

Speaking of circulation, yes the elevation of the rocks help...but i think i need more circulation cos as of now, it's only handled by my 12m3 plus Wavysea. So current is pretty gentle for now. I'm concerned about deadspots along the swim thru caves etc.

hi bro im goi to copy your style---chromis and yellow tang..but need to cycle longer 1st.

how long you cycle your tank b4 adding all the fishes?

how big are your yt and how muc???

• SRC Member

Next on my list is a school of blue eyed anthias...and maybe 3-4 blue tangs :D

The tank has been cycling for a little over 3 weeks before i added the tangs. However, the rocks were pretty cured from the LFS i got em at, plus i used Live Sand so that helped the process out i believe.

The YT are abt medium sized and i got em from Iwarna. As for the price, check with Lilian...or pm me ;)

Tank 66"x27"x28" - Return Pump Red Dragon 12m3 - Skimmer Deltec AP701 - Chiller Starmex - Wavemakers Wavysea - Lighting DE 6 x T5-HO

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Got another question for you folks..

What are my chances of keeping a clown tang and sohal tang in the same tank? I've read that clown tangs are equally as aggresive as sohals and yet i've seen some folks with both in the same tank?

My plan is to possibly put a smaller specimen clown tang in first then when i've got all the tangs i want...get the sohal into the tank last.

And will the both of em get along with blue tangs? I didn't have much problems with the sohal and a blue in my last tang so i'm assuming it should be alright.

Your experiences and input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers! :)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
Got another question for you folks..

What are my chances of keeping a clown tang and sohal tang in the same tank? I've read that clown tangs are equally as aggresive as sohals and yet i've seen some folks with both in the same tank?

My plan is to possibly put a smaller specimen clown tang in first then when i've got all the tangs i want...get the sohal into the tank last.

And will the both of em get along with blue tangs? I didn't have much problems with the sohal and a blue in my last tang so i'm assuming it should be alright.

Your experiences and input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers! :)

hi southpaw. well i used to plan in advance which fish to go in 1st but each time when at lfs lost all my discipline. simply buy and just put into tank. was told thew bigger the tank better survival rate-more room to hide i guess heehee...

but of course what i did was wrong..just stating facts. believe lots of ppl in this hobby hv this itchy hand syrdrome heehee...

• SRC Member

Yeah...i guess we all tend to suffer for itch hands...but i try to stick to my plan as much as possible. It's especially crucial when dealing with the intended tangs i have in mind.

Getting the wrong ones too soon would be a bad thing as that might prevent me from adding anymore future tangs to the tank.

Besides...if we get all that we want right at the start...where's the fun left in the hobby? The funs in the researching and planning for me :)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
From cost point of view, sohal tang cost must higher than clown tang and LFS does not bring in sohal tang that often.

For me, I will go for sohal tang first incase the clown tang get too aggressive and kill the sohal tang later...

That's a good point...but i guess i would still need to wait it out before i put the Sohal in the tank. Gotta acquire all my other desired tangs first. Guess i gotta be patient :(

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member

Hi Kenny,

l have both of them in my tank and no prob so far.

From what i observed, usually the clown tangs tt are sold here are smaller in size as compared to the sohal which are much bigger. Maybe i'm lucky cos my clown tang never disturb new tangs added in...it's the PT and YT tt always bully the newbies.

Clown tang can be quite fussy in choosing food esp when introduced to a new tank while sohal is easier to get it feed. For me, i wld recommed introduce a pellet feeding clown tang (in the LFS) followed by Sohal. Either way, the first likely aggressor wld be yr YT.

Just my 2cts.

• SRC Member

I've got plenty of YT so that's not a good thing if the aggressor is the YT...imagine 6 aggresors...haha :P

Anyways...i introduced a Powder Blue Tang later in the day yesterday and no fights broke out so that's good. The YT so far seem to be fairly peaceful...with each other and even the PBT. Well, the PBT is larger :)

Oh btw...the coral banded shrimps are doing fine in the tank...the pair is back together again and take refuge under a cave in the smaller rockstructure. Will take a pic soon :)

southpaw23's reef

• SRC Member
That's a very nice rock scaping bro....Looks natural.

Thanks...it's tricky trying to scape a 2 sided view tank. Especially when one doesn't have enough depth to play with. Am pretty happy with how it turned out :)

southpaw23's reef

6 YTs? :shock: Slow down a little bro :)

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica