how to rid phosphate inexpensively ??

• SRC Member

One way is to set up a refudge. Needs another bypass tank and facilitate the growth of macro-algae.

Macro-algae is the so called seaweed. you can get them at any LFS or seaside.

But If you get them from seaside, you must must side you quarantee them and dip them before use. Since you are new to the hobby, better don't get any stray things in the sea as they contains pathogens which may means a disease outbreak in your tank.

So just look ard diff. LFS for macro-algae.

Macro-algae can facilitate the deplete of phosphate and nitrate as they will be absorbed by these macro-algae.

If you haven't a surge tank, then you also can try grow them in a space below. AND with lighting on 24/7. By doing so, you allow them to photosynthesis and produce oxygen too instead of contributing CO2 which will affect your pH.

This is the lowest cost method and nature method. harder to do it cos you are dealing with the balance of nature.

Another way is that to use phosphate removing filter medium.

There are brands like seachem and aquapharm that produces these filter medium.

not that expensive. most likely to be around $17. a good investment but not a long term plan as you must replace them once phosphate level starts climbing. :(

My advice is that must judge by your tank size and your filter system.

If you have a small tank, you can use the second method which will be more efficient and fasting.

As you are dealing with lesser water volume, the filter medium also won't be exhausted so fast.

If you are keeping a big tank, it's good to use both method as the natural method can help lowering your expenses and is more realistic for long term. the filter medium can help to prevent a sudden increase in phosphate and can it set a benchmark for your tank to be maintain at.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

u put ur phosphate removal in the FR, u can get a resun in reborn, iwarna and may other LFS.. normally a new one will cost 20++ or more.. depends on the brand.. and for the macro algae, u can pm mi if u r interested in starting a refuge.. can pass u some chaeto.. which will be safer.. :)

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

• SRC Member

I always have problem with marco-algea, dun know izzit with the light i try to use those osram 18w one but alway my will die off if it is cheato. Or going absexual and make my tank cloudy so after so many attempt i give up liao. But my coral seem to be well, maybe some pro can teach mi some trick. Like lighting wat k or wat the conditon it must have.

Sorry bro manathanJB for using your tread.........

I always have problem with marco-algea, dun know izzit with the light i try to use those osram 18w one but alway my will die off if it is cheato. Or going absexual and make my tank cloudy so after so many attempt i give up liao. But my coral seem to be well, maybe some pro can teach mi some trick. Like lighting wat k or wat the conditon it must have.

Sorry bro manathanJB for using your tread.........

Based on my experience with Chaetomorpha... a 18W (if placed not too high above) can just sustain their growth... sufficient flow will avoid rotting... basically that's all needed... and of course... it depends on the nutrients level in your tank. A tank with high PO4 and NO3 will see their Chaeto grow faster... but in the event of depleted nutrients... your Chaeto will either stop growing or slowly die off :cry:

The latter was the fate of my 1.5ft by 1.5ft worth of Chaeto... they simply stop growing anymore :shock:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Sorry to cut in,

but is it possible to set up a FR to the main tank? I don't have a sump tank :cry:

yes.. u can still fixed ur FR directly to ur main tank.. but wad filter r u using?

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

You can actually place the PO4 media into a stocking and place it inside your canister filter (latest stage). That can also do the job... without all the piping... and heat from yet another feed pump. If you wanna do that, go for a PO4 that is a bit coarser and one that comes with the assurance of "no leaching" in the long run.

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

I've been doing that, using both Sorb4 and PhosBan (yes, both are now in my canister filter), and even Kent Marine's Phosphate Sponge for 2 days. PO4 climbing down but slowly. Thinking would FR be better since the slow flow of FR is supposed to work better with PO4 media.

• SRC Member

I am using a canister filter for my 3 feet also... u can use filter medium for the short term removal but that going to cost u alot...I use seachem's phosguard...and if the effect is good, I remove it after one day of use when the level of phosphate is still high and use another batch.

What I suggest is that u do a water change often to prevent building of phosphate and nitrate.

and at the same time use filter medium to lower it too... with Aquapharm's Instant mud. It can lower phosphate and helps in coral growth too. :)

and at the same time, set up a refugium...yes u can even with a canister filter becos that's what I do.

u can connect the two tank and canister together with some calculations. :)

grow chaeto and other macro algae in ur refugium to control ur phos and nitrate level.

but first let ur refugium have a tank cycle before linking up ur main tank becos u are increasing the volume of water and increasing ur bioload so just in case that ur main tank have an ammonia and nitrite spike.

It will be good to let the refugium cycle alone and at the same time u can inspect the effectiveness of the chaeto in ur refugium. :)

Just in case that the refugium breakdown during that period, it also wun affect ur main taNK. :)

Having a refugium is good becos it can also be use as a quarantine tank or u can use it as a seahorse and pipefish tank or....blah blah blah...it has many uses.

u can email me if u need any help at secret_cracker@hotmail.com

I will be glad to help u.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I should add on a bit, the cost of FR may be cheap, but the cost of the medium is quite expensive. Many bro using Rowa phos, which cost more than $80. So have to consider the medium part also. Without it, the FR cannot work.

• SRC Member

one of the most cheapest and fastest way to remove water-soluble PO4 and NO3 is bacteria and phytoplankton(tiny plants). These tiny animals take up the nutrients as quickly at they are created, they grab it first even before it reaches your chaeto. You just have to find a way to harvest them out. .. to allow new ones to take their place, then harvest them out again. This cycle continues non-stop.

Skimming wet allows for this as you remove bacteria flock and phytoplanton in the wet skimmate together with detritus.

If your chaeto can grow, you already have more than what is needed. (which is not entirely a bad thing as some systems need more nutrients than others).

• SRC Member
Hi i have jus started tis new hobby and my tank is now 3 mths old . Its been doing fine but only thing is that theres is alot of algae due to the high phosphate level in my tank .

Hv you toyed with the idea of using bivalves or gastropods.? ;) They are cheap, easy to find, dno't need lighting and always very hungry. :lol: