Some Questions to ask

Hi, there's some questions that i like to ask. I'm buying a 3ft by 2ft by 2ft tank. So i'hv calculate it's volume will be 339.8l. Which type of chiller/pump i should use?

Eg, Resun CL 650:

1) Power: 650w/ 1/4hp

2) Rec. Pump: >1800 l/ph (what does this mean?)

3) 8° Below: 650 L (Means if tank vol is 650l, the chiller can drop the temp of the tank to -8°?)

4) 15° Below:400 L

How to see whether which type of chiller/pump is enough for my tank?

For return pump / powerhead, how will i know if the flow back to the tank is enough or the current in mt tank is too strong? :(

Can any pro pls help me in this? :bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

i know -_- i brought the tank from another reefer, it's comes with the chiller so i tot should be enough to chill the tank. But just wanna know more knowledge as how to see which chiller / pump is suitable for hw many volume of tank, incase nxt time wanna change new one.

Tnks bro barnacle! :bow::bow:

l/ph = litres per hour

Bro kennethk, so the chiller is pumpin 1800l per hour, my tank is only 340l. wat is the normal recommandation for the flow?

In this case, the chiller will be doin about 240l per 5min, if i'm rite. Is this normal or too much?

Tnks in advance!!!

• SRC Member

Bro kennethk, so the chiller is pumpin 1800l per hour, my tank is only 340l. wat is the normal recommandation for the flow?

In this case, the chiller will be doin about 240l per 5min, if i'm rite. Is this normal or too much?

Tnks in advance!!!

Follow the specs of the chiller lor. For me i usually use stronger flow abt 3000lph as my flow is sump to chiller direct back to tank. If sump to chiller water back to sump 1800lph should be enuff.

Bro vdfne, find 1 day i ask desmond jio u out for kopi.

The l/hr is not always acurate, the l/hr shown on the pump is when nothing is connected to the pump, meaning with direct water flow out of the pump, the pump can pump 1800l/hr of water, but since you have soft pipe connected to the pump, and have to see where your chiller is located, whether on the floor or on a chair etc... The pumping of water rate will sure reduce a bit even if chiller is placed on the floor. Since the specs of the chiller specify that the recommended pump is minimum 1800l/hr, then use that as your pump, don't buy one that is below 1800l/hr, and don't buy one that is extremely powerful, it could cause leakage. For the 8 Degree below amd 15 degree below, I don't really know what it is about, but I guess it's mentioning the chiller can bring down a temp of 8 DegreeC and 15 degreeC if your tank size is what they specify. :lol:

• SRC Member

hi there bro vdfne,

with regards to your questions,

1) the recommended flow rate of 1,800L/hr refers to the flow rate you should pipe through the chiller for maximum efficiency. so the pump you use to feed the chiller should be around 1,800L/hr. i would say a 2000L/hr pump would serve you best, seeing as most pumps would come with round number flow rates rather than be so specific as to move 1,8000L/hr. i would recommend the aquabee 2000/i for the chiller, as its reliable and not likely to fail on you. because i've realised that your chiller pump is way more likely to fail than your chiller, which both ways, will disable the chilling effect on your tank, so best to get a reliable chiller pump.

2) as for the 8° Below: 650 L- this means that for a tank of about 650L capacity, the chiller is able to lower the tank's normal operating temp without a chiller by 8 degrees. so if your tank, with the lights and equipment runs at about 31 degrees without a chiller, by using this chiller, the max you can achieve is an 8 degree drop, from 31 degrees to 24 degrees.

3) so likewise, 15° Below:400 L - means that the chiller can achieve a 15 degree drop in tank water temp for a tank below 400L in size.

for chillers, i would recommend oversizing a little, because, even though the chiller is capable of the specified max chilling capability, it doesnt help its lifespan to constantly run it at its max.

well, hope that helps.

cheers,

ian

• 2 weeks later...

Follow the specs of the chiller lor. For me i usually use stronger flow abt 3000lph as my flow is sump to chiller direct back to tank. If sump to chiller water back to sump 1800lph should be enuff.

Bro vdfne, find 1 day i ask desmond jio u out for kopi.

Roger, Tnks!

Sure, find 1 day, we 3 come out lai kopi then i can ask advise from ur pros, :)

Heard desmond coming back to reef.