Tom's Dream

vdfne

• SRC Member

get a buffer to increase your KH, i suggest you remove any bioballs if you have any and also try to hide your seio pump if you can, make sure your flow is adequete to remove any dead spots. Dont start stocking yet, do it a monh later and the key to keeping your tank alive and well is to STOCK SLOWLY, haha there is a saying that in reefkeeping, nothing good ever happens fast so ya, take your time man :) run ROWAphos if you are not doing so now to help with your control of algae and adding bacteria into your tank would really shorten that 1 month wait if your hands get itchy and excited to add stuff in(like i did) haha

i think u are reading your KH wrongly bro, anyway six drops is 6dKH. so there you have it, your KH is 6! :) oh ya, my advice to you is repair your chiller or get a new one, how you going to run a chiller without any thermostat???

Oh, Tnks for correcting me, :bow:

Atm, chiller is running on timer, off every 2hr, activate for 1hr. Getting it to repair soon.

Heard from my seller that resun will auto cut of at 26, so i run the chiller to test over nite. Guess what i see the nxt morning??

The temp went down to 22!!!!!!! dam shock man, heng none of my snail went forzen...... phew..

get a buffer to increase your KH, i suggest you remove any bioballs if you have any and also try to hide your seio pump if you can, make sure your flow is adequete to remove any dead spots. Dont start stocking yet, do it a monh later and the key to keeping your tank alive and well is to STOCK SLOWLY, haha there is a saying that in reefkeeping, nothing good ever happens fast so ya, take your time man :) run ROWAphos if you are not doing so now to help with your control of algae and adding bacteria into your tank would really shorten that 1 month wait if your hands get itchy and excited to add stuff in(like i did) haha

i'm transfering most of my rocks n sands from my preious tank, so is it ok to add in LS earlier? :upsidedown:

Any advise on why hide the seio pump?

I'hv seem some ppl put a live prawn, like those sold in market in the sump. Are they of any use there? Anyone here also done this? Can help to enlighten? To my knowledge, i onli know put dead prawn during cycling, but live prawn :blink::blink:

• SRC Member

lol. Live prawn, maybe for fishing?

juz joking. :P

Anyway, you can mod your reef octopus. :D

The longer you wait to add livestock in your tank, the better.

Since ya using live sand and previous live rock, the time span can be shorten. How long is your tank already?

:)

• SRC Member

Pic of sump, ps abit blur...

a little observation.... Turn the sump the other way round where the "up" pump do not have such an acute and long distance could save $$$ in the long run....

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

bro, ur seio seems to be blowing a sand storm to the sand bed. Could that the sand are covering the rocks. try to tilt the seio till the sand are not been blown away. :) U might wanna use cable tie for ur wires, will definitely looks neater and pleasing to ur eyes.

The rescape looks better. try to wait till ur tank finishes the full cycle then put in ur fishes and corals ya :D Keep it up bro

A person, himself can be his own Lawyer, but he can never be his own Judge ........

a little observation.... Turn the sump the other way round where the "up" pump do not have such an acute and long distance could save $$$ in the long run....

Gd idea! Will try to U-turn the sump. :thanks: Think will look neater also.

but hor, how it could save $ in long run? The return pump will be using the same power right, regardless the distance? Pls enlightened on this, Tnks.

bro, ur seio seems to be blowing a sand storm to the sand bed. Could that the sand are covering the rocks. try to tilt the seio till the sand are not been blown away. :) U might wanna use cable tie for ur wires, will definitely looks neater and pleasing to ur eyes.

The rescape looks better. try to wait till ur tank finishes the full cycle then put in ur fishes and corals ya :D Keep it up bro

Tnks for the comment!:thanks::thanks:

Just made some final rescape few days ago, hehe. Will try to post some pics, using hp. pis take liao not nice -_- so dun dare to post....

The cables i hvnt decide how to hide them, thinkin of DIY the wooden stand by adding a cover around it and a cover for the chiller. Now waiting for my plywood to arrive nia.

• SRC Member

Bro, since they're no livestock and corals, why not just off the chiller and save the electricity? You don't need to chill yr tank now till you get the chiller thermostat repaired. Alternatively, go for external themo controller...more accurate i heard.

• SRC Member

Gd idea! Will try to U-turn the sump. :thanks: Think will look neater also.

but hor, how it could save $ in long run? The return pump will be using the same power right, regardless the distance? Pls enlightened on this, Tnks.

there is less energy loss so u can either lower the pump rating or get more flow up your main tank.

Another point is that do u have any filter floss anywhere in the filteration? Ur skimmer does not seems to be a powerful enough to cleanse the water.... better have some mechanical filter where u change regularly unless your skimmer pump can deliver 10X faster than your overflow pump.....

Also, I notice that the pump serving your chiller is taking unfilter water which may result in more "growth" internally in chiller and eventually result in lower efficiency....

Bro, since they're no livestock and corals, why not just off the chiller and save the electricity? You don't need to chill yr tank now till you get the chiller thermostat repaired. Alternatively, go for external themo controller...more accurate i heard.

How much does a external themo controller controller cost? Issit easily to fix on the chiller like need to open the chiller for operation? If so, might try. hehe

Tnks for the advise. i run the chiller awhile tryin to see hw much it can drop on the temp as currrently do not hv themo.

there is less energy loss so u can either lower the pump rating or get more flow up your main tank.

Another point is that do u have any filter floss anywhere in the filteration? Ur skimmer does not seems to be a powerful enough to cleanse the water.... better have some mechanical filter where u change regularly unless your skimmer pump can deliver 10X faster than your overflow pump.....

Also, I notice that the pump serving your chiller is taking unfilter water which may result in more "growth" internally in chiller and eventually result in lower efficiency....

Ty Kareen, will do that, gonna U-turn my sump.

The filter floss u mean by those cotten filter? :ph34r:

ps har, still new to this hobby some terms need to confirm, wait act clever, anyhow poke hole then die liao :pinch:

The pump servicing my chiller is link from my return pump so i guess should be ok hor.

Reef Octopus NW110 not enough for my 3ft tank?

The weipro in the pic is extra 1, i just put in the 1st few days thinking it migh help to clear up. Already taken it out le. PS for any mislead.

lol. Live prawn, maybe for fishing?

juz joking. :P

Anyway, you can mod your reef octopus. :D

The longer you wait to add livestock in your tank, the better.

Since ya using live sand and previous live rock, the time span can be shorten. How long is your tank already?

:)

Ps, wat u mean by mod the reef octopus? modify it har? i'hv seem some post regards abt modify the pump to make more bubble? Seem abit chim to me.... -_-

Tank is about 2weeks le, old stock from preious tanks about 2mths old nia.

• SRC Member

Ty Kareen, will do that, gonna U-turn my sump.

The filter floss u mean by those cotten filter? :ph34r:

ps har, still new to this hobby some terms need to confirm, wait act clever, anyhow poke hole then die liao :pinch:

The pump servicing my chiller is link from my return pump so i guess should be ok hor.

Reef Octopus NW110 not enough for my 3ft tank?

The weipro in the pic is extra 1, i just put in the 1st few days thinking it migh help to clear up. Already taken it out le. PS for any mislead.

ya... I mean the common filter wool lah... Uh, I didn't ask you to poke any hole hor :huh: I din't see the skimmer in the pic that's why... whether enough or not do the calulation yourself. To me, filter wool is a great way to do the coase level of filteration. The only drawback is regular maintaince which I do anyway.