My 2nd Learning Tank Journey (RSM)

thedidavid

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rather unique way of mounting your moonlight... interesting effect :bow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member
Finally decided to get RSM, after more than one week searching what is the best tank that I can put at 2 feet space in my living room. After exploring custom made tank possibilities, Aquamedic tanks, and ready made tanks in QH, I decided to go for Red Sea Max comes with cabinet to house my chiller, FR, and UV. I like the quality and finishing of the tank but the cabinet kinda flimsy....

Hi there!

Nice Setup! ;)

Care to share your set up. :P

Do you use one pump for each of your equipment, Chiller, FR and your UV?

If so, what model you use?

If not, how to you hook them up?

Which compartment do you put the pump/pumps in?

:bow:

:thanks:

aquatronica7na.gif

Main Tank - DECOMMISSIONED ON 24.01.11

48"x24"x26" 12mm thick starfire crystal glass(3 sided) EOS with Black Silicon(Germany)

Sump Tank

32"x15"x20" complete with egg crate, bio-ball, top up reservoir

Equipments

Return Pump: AquaBee up7000

Skimmer: Skimz Monzter sm200 with AquaBee pin wheel and AquaBee up2000(Germany) as feed pump

CR: Skimz Monzter CM150 powered with AquaBee 2000i(Germany), solonoid valve and CO2 tank

FR: Skimz 150

MH Lighting: 2x250W Lumen bright(USA) MH pendant with 2x250W 12000k Reeflux bulb(USA), 250W Coralvue (USA) dimmable ballast

T5 Lighting: 2x54w ATI(Germany) high output T5 bulb with aluminium stand

Controller: Aquatronica ACS ADVANCE Package

Dosing: Aquatronica Dosing Pumps-ACQ450

Hi there!

Nice Setup! ;)

Care to share your set up. :P

Do you use one pump for each of your equipment, Chiller, FR and your UV?

If so, what model you use?

If not, how to you hook them up?

Which compartment do you put the pump/pumps in? all pumps are in the empty space near heater chamber.

:bow:

:thanks:

Running eheim compact 600 series with my FR and UV 3x

Eheim compact 1000 for chiller

Hydor pico just to create turbulance at skimmer outlet to reduce micro bubbles.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

• 5 weeks later...

November update...disaster month after almost 3 weeks in Peru and tank under my OC supervision something quite bad happen. Couple of my sun corals heads died due to one SPS disloged and drop onto it. I lost 2 fished, PBT and Fairy wrasse, RIP. Found out the problem mostly comes from the skimmer, the air inlet into the needle wheel was blocked by gunk luckily my spare complete set Red Sea Max skimmer that I ordered arrived. I changed 20% of the water yesterday and change the skimmer and hope the best :unsure:

Soaked the whole skimmer into rice vinegar for couple hours yesterday before all the calcium deposit can be rub off. The hole for air intake is about 2mm dia only........

post-34-1195860470.jpg

• SRC Member

Uhmm care to get a goby to clean ur sandbed.But overall looks nice.

girlone.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not to mention the $3000+ camera he is currently using :eyebrow:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

wow sei bro..u got alot of high tech stuff for a small tank....keke.... :eyebrow:

With these equipmt,u can go for more sps stuff soon aft ur tank is more mature :eyebrow:

Difficult to make LPS thriving in RSM, I think light intensity is not there only my milliepora looks growing. Getting this ACS due to installing sander ozoniser and bit shock to find that American Marine pin point ORP controller is $400+ :look: then for me the choice is clear. I got hell lots of trouble to find a way to mount the sensor into RSM sump. It was not a smooth installation for me, the software doesn't run on my Mac, so tried to install on my wifey laptop but it didn't running with with window vista. So installed on my old laptop still running on XP, plaque with blue screen of death every time I try to connect to my ACS solved only couple hours ago when I got updated program from Aquatronica website. AM still owe me ORP interface, if the items come I will take some photo of my DIY installation.

Finally it's up and running!!!!

Adding water leak sensor to my aquatronica to shutdown my chiller & FR pump when there is leak from the hose, it's very nice function. I just don't like the new interface design looks shabby and cheap (I think this will be cloned for Aquamedic aquarium controller).

post-10642-1198416201_thumb.jpg

post-10642-1198416219_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

After disaster struck my Reef tank and left deep scar in me and in my house http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...=66561&st=0 I will bounce back. Today marking 11 days of cycling and parameters are good:

NO : 0 PPM

NO2: 0 PPM

NO3: 5 PPM

Ca : 440 PPM

Mg : 1140 PPM

Den : 1.025

pH : 8.8 (light off)

Decided going to collect my LS today since the death toll still raising (lost my leopard wrasse & clams dying due not enough light) and put it back to the tank.

I did total overhaul of my cabinet by installing Deltec NFP509 (bought 2ndhand) and Aquatronica dosing pump for balling way and relief me from dosing ritual and one pump to feed alcohol to my Deltec.

Just found some down side of of Aquatronica dosing pump, it doesn't interact with the sensors plugged in power bar. To control dosing pump the sensor and interface needs to be plugged to dosing pump. Another problem is the liquid mix that I use is not homogenous so some part will settle after couple hours. Anyone know how to reduce this problem?

post-10642-1200666826.jpg

Welcome back bro! Your tank is indisputably the most advanced RSM in the world :bow: :bow: :bow:

Do you do your own mix? Why not use the Grotech Liquid specially formulated for balling? A 1L bottle can last long considering you relatively small volume. You can try:

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...id='22'

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...id='23'

Welcome back bro! Your tank is indisputably the most advanced RSM in the world :bow: :bow: :bow:

Do you do your own mix? Why not use the Grotech Liquid specially formulated for balling? A 1L bottle can last long considering you relatively small volume. You can try:

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...id='22'

http://www.aquamarin.com.sg/productsDetail...id='23'

It was me trying to do crude DIY :paiseh: :paiseh: :paiseh: I modify my FR to accommodate all dosing ports and supply to denitrator. I was thinking to use CR but no way i can house it the cabinet and my CO instruct me not put any equipment beyond cabinet interior <_<

I use Aquapharm, because I got lots of it. I think I may need to switch to Grotech in this case but I only have 2 channels left.

Thanks for the info, should go to AM now but bit lazy to drive now so collecting LS postponed to tomorrow afternoon.

It was me trying to do crude DIY :paiseh: :paiseh: :paiseh: I modify my FR to accommodate all dosing ports and supply to denitrator. I was thinking to use CR but no way i can house it the cabinet and my CO instruct me not put any equipment beyond cabinet interior <_<

I use Aquapharm, because I got lots of it. I think I may need to switch to Grotech in this case but I only have 2 channels left.

Thanks for the info, should go to AM now but bit lazy to drive now so collecting LS postponed to tomorrow afternoon.

I think Balling is a much easier and less risky alternative for your tank size where running a full scale CR may not be practical. A lot of European reef tanks run successfully by Balling method, but once the volume exceeds a couple of hundred litres, Balling can be expensive. Note: The Grotech liquid additives come in 5L pack too :D

2 channels enough, you do not need KH+Ca3 as it is formulated for those using RO water.