My 24G Nano Tank

scubajazz

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
imo, a chiller is a worthwhile investment for the tank, as it is hooded, water temp is considerably warmer compared to tanks without hoods. besides, it greatly expands the selection of corals u can add to the tank. ;)

I agree, but is a eye sore to see that chiller beside it and it also genrating heat, will do so for last resort,

So far my tank has a highest temoperature so far 28.5 degrees and the corals still doing well, for this few weeks it is having a average of 27.5 degrees cause of the cool weather and the lowest is 25.9 degrees, maybe due to place here is quite cool. Will only know how bad is it when we have the hottest period :upsidedown: .

For me I always on the light during the night when I return from work and if it is hot, will lift the cover up halfway when I go to work to help it to lower the temperature.

Hi White,

Forget to answer ur 2nd question, do not stir the sand too much, I did it once n it kill my beloved mandarin fish. Cleaner shrimp is a must for me, I have seen them work hard n help my lemonpeel n other fish to overcome the itch problem when I introduce a new fish which later develop itch the next day. Lucky for me, I feed them with brine shrimp soaked in garlic guard and omega-one pellets (with garlic) which also help to boost the immune system to fight the itch.

My advice, do a research on the fish n coral u want to add in the tank, what is their behaviour n maintenance level like and compatiablity with others.

For a tank like ours with no chillers, we r limited to coral like mushroom, zoas, star polyp, frogspawn n hammerhead. Others will be a gamble.

Hi ScubaJazz,

Thanks for your advice. I have started buying some LS. I have put photos of my tank in the members tank forum. Hope to share experience in future. I am also against having chillers...it is too bulkly and ugly which defeat the purpose of having a nano cube in the first place

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Fishs : 1x Cardinalfish, 2 x false Percula Clownfish

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

Tank Thread : [url=http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=83257]

• SRC Member
Hi ScubaJazz,

Thanks for your advice. I have started buying some LS. I have put photos of my tank in the members tank forum. Hope to share experience in future. I am also against having chillers...it is too bulkly and ugly which defeat the purpose of having a nano cube in the first place

No problem bro, all the best :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
I agree, but is a eye sore to see that chiller beside it and it also genrating heat, will do so for last resort,

So far my tank has a highest temoperature so far 28.5 degrees and the corals still doing well, for this few weeks it is having a average of 27.5 degrees cause of the cool weather and the lowest is 25.9 degrees, maybe due to place here is quite cool. Will only know how bad is it when we have the hottest period :upsidedown: .

For me I always on the light during the night when I return from work and if it is hot, will lift the cover up halfway when I go to work to help it to lower the temperature.

Hi bro I share the same idea that chiler is a eye score especially why I choose JBJ is the slick look.

But you can try to get the Internal Chiller from nanotuners. It is build into the hood no external Chiller,

I iwll venture into this idea when I return from my trip to the pacific.

enjoy

• SRC Member
Hi Kenneth,

My tank is a nano cube 24G and I am using the standard pump that comes with it. The additional stuff is the Hydro Koralia wavemaker 1 n will be adding in the Resun SK-05 mini skimmer to it.

Sand Grade is 1

Tropic Marine Salt

Irwana Topup water

Will be revamping the filtering compartment soon, currently is

1st Compartment is the sponge

2nd is the media rings, charcoal n bio balls

3rd compartment is the return pump.

Will be changing to :

1st Compartment, put the media ring n then the charcoal and then the filter sponge ( will discard away the bio balls)

2nd Compartment put in the Resun SK-05 skimmer

3rd Compartment is the return pump.

Hi Guys, any comments on this setup or better suggestions.

Hi bro I have fitted the resun Sk-05 in to my JBJ 24G

I use the black sponge in the 1st compartment with white floss ontop,

in the 2nd compartment isthe skimmer only.(and this little skimmer is skimming like no tomorrow, will post a pic for you. and the skimmate is quite good.

in the 3rd compartment is the Sorb and Pur and Ceramic ring and bio ball.

just manage to get all in and running for 3 days and looks good so far.

enjoy

thanks for the inspiration

Hi bro I have fitted the resun Sk-05 in to my JBJ 24G

I use the black sponge in the 1st compartment with white floss ontop,

in the 2nd compartment isthe skimmer only.(and this little skimmer is skimming like no tomorrow, will post a pic for you. and the skimmate is quite good.

in the 3rd compartment is the Sorb and Pur and Ceramic ring and bio ball.

just manage to get all in and running for 3 days and looks good so far.

enjoy

thanks for the inspiration

Hi Huskypower75,

Where did you get the resun SK-o5? How much is it? Do you have to do any modification on the cube?

me interested to...I am willing to try anything except spoilt the look of the cube...my cube is just beside the living room sofa...

WhiteFish

Equipment: JBJ 24g Nano Cube with 9 x 3W White & 9 X 3W Royal Blue LED Lighting + Tunze Nanostream 6025+ 1 Fan

Inverts : 1x Sea Serpent starfish, 1x blue legged hermit crab, 1 x orange starfish

Corals : 2 x Lobophyllia, brown rics, red & green mushrooms, Yuma, Torch, Octo, favites, , clove, 1 x Aveopora,

• SRC Member

Hi whitefish,

U can get the skimmer at Aquamarin.

For me no mod required, except for using white tap(those for plumbing) n wrap around all joint n the potruding rounded part, I take it out and use the black sponge(provided) to block the out the outlet. Will take a pic once I have the time.

Hi Huskypower75,

Where did you get the resun SK-o5? How much is it? Do you have to do any modification on the cube?

me interested to...I am willing to try anything except spoilt the look of the cube...my cube is just beside the living room sofa...

• SRC Member
Hi Huskypower75,

Hi bro

I need to remove the adaptor to reduce the length, once the adaptor is removed from the out put of the pump you can fit exactly in the 2nd compartment.

I used super glue to joint up some parts to prevent it from falling a part.

The remove the out put with the black sponge from the output of the skimmer, if you do not do that you can never fit in.

To prevent micro bubble, i line the out let flow from the 2nd to the 3rd compartment with white floss.

Do not cover the output from the skimmer with white floss.

you will need a wide open output from the skimmer cos the flow of the pump is too high.

and then let is run in for 30mins and now I am skimming foam the colour of tea O...

enjoy

h

• SRC Member
Hi Huskypower75,

I bought it from the shop infront of ah beng

and no mod needed on the cube

Thanks both of you for your advice onm the skimmer. :thanks:

Pls share the results of the skimmer later on.

What is reduced after you see after you installed it?

Did the water quality improved?

I find it hard to believe that something that small can make a difference. :rolleyes:

But if it works, I will install it...must keep it from my wife..she is complaining that I spent too much time on this new hobby..

Getting scolded for something that do not work vwery well is just not worth it..hehe

WhiteFish

• SRC Member

Bro. this piece of equipment is only $15 from where I bought it.

Thanks both of you for your advice onm the skimmer. :thanks:

Pls share the results of the skimmer later on.

What is reduced after you see after you installed it?

Did the water quality improved?

I find it hard to believe that something that small can make a difference. :rolleyes:

But if it works, I will install it...must keep it from my wife..she is complaining that I spent too much time on this new hobby..

Getting scolded for something that do not work vwery well is just not worth it..hehe

Last one for the day, my red coco worm

I like your red coco worm best. Is it difficult to take care?

What do you feed it?

WhiteFish

• SRC Member

I think is quite easy, no special care needed, I just feed my corals with plankton once a week. It is with me for close to 2 mths now. Bought mine at Iwarna, but saw some at Pacific reef too.

I like your red coco worm best. Is it difficult to take care?

What do you feed it?

• SRC Member

Got it from Pacific reef at Pasir Ris.

That Coral (the green one is it) got it from Iwarna at Pasir Ris too, they still have some over there when I was there last Sunday, no idea what is it call, maybe some kind soul out there can help enlighten us on what is the name. Quite easy to maintain, just need light to keep the color.

hi scubajazz, u got a nice tank. Love that madarin fish. where did u buy it from? Btw, wats the name of the coral beside ur zoos?

Hi Scubajazz and Huskypower75,

I am thinking to get the Resun SK-05 skimmer for my Nanotank too.

But the tank is not from JBJ, so the compartment might be a bit

different and afraid it would not be able to fit the skimmer.

I would appreciate if you guys could share some pictures of your

tank how the skimmer manage to fit into the JBJ tank....

many thanks

• SRC Member

Here is the pic of the skimmer, notice the rounded part on the right which I will not connecting to it n hence shorten the width. Will be putting it in the second compartment but I have not installed it into the tank yet cause I need to change the plug head from the 2 pin to a normal one, too lazy to got n get the 3 pin head yet.

Hi Scubajazz and Huskypower75,

I am thinking to get the Resun SK-05 skimmer for my Nanotank too.

But the tank is not from JBJ, so the compartment might be a bit

different and afraid it would not be able to fit the skimmer.

I would appreciate if you guys could share some pictures of your

tank how the skimmer manage to fit into the JBJ tank....

many thanks

post-7342-1198771891_thumb.jpg

Hi Scubajazz,

Is your skimmer working?

I just bought one fr AM but it seem faulty...

The parts are loosely joint. When I switch it on, there

isn't any tornado like those pics in HUSKYPOWER95 or TUNICATE.....

Water just oozing out from the top of the skimmer cover....

Another thing...how deep the skimmer can submerge in the water?

• SRC Member

Dun put in straight to the sump compartment, put it in the main tank and try it out, and adjust the level until u see those tornado swirl. also ensure that the swirl reach only around the tip (not collection cup tip) and it will skim thru with those tea like stuff on the collection cup. Then after u know which level to place it that it will skim properly then u put into the sump compartment and adjust to the level.

For me it works, but I still have to figure out how to get rid of the micro air bubble going to the main tank and is a bit of noisy.

Hi Scubajazz,

Is your skimmer working?

I just bought one fr AM but it seem faulty...

The parts are loosely joint. When I switch it on, there

isn't any tornado like those pics in HUSKYPOWER95 or TUNICATE.....

Water just oozing out from the top of the skimmer cover....

Another thing...how deep the skimmer can submerge in the water?