• About 1 month
    • About 2 months
    • About 3 months
    • About 4 months
    • About 5 months
    • About 6 months
    • > 6 months

• SRC Member

I understand a good rule of thumb is to change our filter wool once every 1-2 weeks

But how often reefers really change their filter wool actually?

Do give your honest vote.

If i left out any possible options above, please indicate.

And I wish to take this opportunity to wish everyone having a great 2008 ahead. Happy New Year! :peace:

Thanks!

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

I am using mika filter wool too, the big pack so that i can cut to the size that i want.. :rolleyes:

If i dont change the filter wool every 2 weeks, it may get choke and my house will flood... <_<<_<

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

I replace with a new piece too.. :upsidedown:

view my 2ft tank thread update here!!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36399

Tank Dimension: 24'x15'x19' with black silicon. All round 8mm.

Equipments:

Return Pump : Hailea HX6540

Skimmer/Chiller : Sicce 2500lph

Skimmer : Weipro 2011

Lightings: 4xT5s HO..2 20,000k & 2 Blue Pro(Aquaz) Retrofits

Chiller : Resun CL280

Auto Water Top Up

Life Stock:

More then 35kg of figi rocks

Blue Tang, Powder Blue Tang, Bristletooth tang, Clown Tang, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Flame Angel, Six Line Wrasse, Sunrise Dottyback. 2 Cleaner Shrimp

Green Bubble, Orange Yuma, Hammer, True Octopus, Acans,

Frogspawn, Green/Orange Cyannaria, Red Prata, Red Open Brain, Star Polyp, Acan Enchinata

• SRC Member

we got so many members yet only these handful contribute. :(

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Firstly, we must know why we are using the wool in the first place.

Are we using it for pure filtering purpose, juz to collect all the dirts, waste etc?

Or

Are we using the wools as a bacteria home/host?

If we are using it for pure filtering purpose, we can juz ditch it once its fill with dirt, to each preference.

If it is used for bacteria home/host , I would suggest shaking the wool in the sump, give it a few squeeze and siphon out the dirt that drops off. Thus, beneficial bacteria will not be lost. Works really well for freshwater tank too.

• SRC Member

I use Cheato as the filter wool??? I put them in the gaps between the baffles of the sump, therefore the cheato can help the reduction of the nitrate, and they have light as well, therefore no need to wash, just change water??

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

dun be shock with my answer....mine used for 6 yrs liao... wash until the wool pad become wool string... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wash it twice a week. dunno why, i prefer to use old wool. My wool is use as a machanicsm filteration system at the downflow compartment.... before the water in the main tank gg into my sump.

• SRC Member
dun be shock with my answer....mine used for 6 yrs liao... wash until the wool pad become wool string... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I wash it twice a week. dunno why, i prefer to use old wool. My wool is use as a machanicsm filteration system at the downflow compartment.... before the water in the main tank gg into my sump.

:blink::bow:

wow 6 years, thats really extreme but atleast you wash it often. any nitrate problems?

• SRC Member

nope, as i said, the wool is used as mechanical filtration media, rather than bio media. just that it doesnt look like filter wool anymore... more like a lump of cotton string... :whistle:whistle

• 1 year later...