A new beginning

wilsontantw

Today, the algae problem seemed to improve a lot. So decided to spend some time to do a full scale test (based on whatever test kits that i have)...

PO4: 0.03ppm (Salifert) - Hahahaha... the new pump for FR is working well! Phosphate finally under control liao!

NO3: 5mg/L (Tropic Marin) - Is it the algae blenny? Turbo snails? or blue-leg hermit working hard??

Ca: 410ppm (Salifert) - Wah, can dose can dose!!! Kalkwasser, here i commmmmmmmme.

KH: 7.7dKH (Salifert) - Time to dose Part B to balance it to 7?

Alk: 2.75meq/L (Salifert) - Same as above lor....

No chance to measure PH, coz dun have PH meter...

Should be okie right?

Will try even harder to drop NO3 and PO4 to negligible....

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member
Hi there, simi is Nudis ah? (got pic reference not?)

So far, there zoas are doing fine... in fact, the light pink zoas wasn't doing well when i first bought, but when i brought home, it open much nicer than at LFS.

Actually not a lot of zoas leh... only 4 rocks of zoas...

:)

Nudis are slugs with striking colors. No eyes, thus, it flow with the current in my tank and got stung by my anemone...

Cheers,

bgrking

Nudis are slugs with striking colors. No eyes, thus, it flow with the current in my tank and got stung by my anemone...

Cheers,

bgrking

Ah... never really had them in the tank so far (thank goodness)...

once they appear, the killer tongs will come!

Btw, anyone has any idea how i can catch the Bloody Irritating Territorial Candy Hog wrasse?

I recently bought a leopard wrasse, (very nice specimen), it's been trying to come out to the Arena to eat, but everytime he's there, that BITCH wrasse just chase it all over... (really maciam a dog-fight in the arena)

I'm seriously fedup with that, and have decided to give this candy hog FOC! But before that, i'll need to T-Loan a good bettabox, those with both sides slider type... and try to lure that BITCH in! Anyone can t-loan???

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Today, the algae problem seemed to improve a lot. So decided to spend some time to do a full scale test (based on whatever test kits that i have)...

PO4: 0.03ppm (Salifert) - Hahahaha... the new pump for FR is working well! Phosphate finally under control liao!

NO3: 5mg/L (Tropic Marin) - Is it the algae blenny? Turbo snails? or blue-leg hermit working hard??

Ca: 410ppm (Salifert) - Wah, can dose can dose!!! Kalkwasser, here i commmmmmmmme.

KH: 7.7dKH (Salifert) - Time to dose Part B to balance it to 7?

Alk: 2.75meq/L (Salifert) - Same as above lor....

No chance to measure PH, coz dun have PH meter...

Should be okie right?

Will try even harder to drop NO3 and PO4 to negligible....

KH too low, must buff it up.. to 9-11.. it will help to give more stabel ph..

KH will drop pretty fast specially for unmature tank.. it will be good to top up kalk with top up water :rolleyes:

KH too low, must buff it up.. to 9-11.. it will help to give more stabel ph..

KH will drop pretty fast specially for unmature tank.. it will be good to top up kalk with top up water :rolleyes:

Thanks sunny... i thot must keep at 7... :cry:

On the other hand, my magnesium level is below 6000 (if my memory serves me right). That's also very low right? (thot it should be around 1000 or so).

Just remembered you pass me a bottle of magnesium, must i use it with some equipment??

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

KH n PH are kindof linked, so when ur KH below 11 means approximately ur PH is about 7++ only.

pH 7 okie right?

tonight, i'll go buy some kalkwasser liao and DIY a kalkwasser drip (realised, cant always depend on iwarna top-up, too ex!)...

Maybe i'll use it in the water reservoir with auto-top up.

But hor, i remember previously got this round blue tub... nowadays i cant find it anymore.

Any good brands to recommend?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member
pH 7 okie right?

tonight, i'll go buy some kalkwasser liao and DIY a kalkwasser drip (realised, cant always depend on iwarna top-up, too ex!)...

Maybe i'll use it in the water reservoir with auto-top up.

But hor, i remember previously got this round blue tub... nowadays i cant find it anymore.

Any good brands to recommend?

PH supposed to keep between 8 - to 8.3 lah, KH about 10-12. JBJ or TUNZE auto-top up not bad, the TUNZE one comes with a small tub. Or u can use an empty salt tub and DIY a float switch from Sim Lim if u want.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally back from the land of ultra long socks + super mini skirts... (nose bleed man)...

The past 12 days was fun in japan, but kept wondering how the tank is doing, any fish dying, any flooding problem (the tank is barely 3 months old).

Should have installed some web-cam while i was gone.

Anyway, like to thank my bro-in-law (simon) and friend/colleague (simon)... for being my tank's caretaker while im gone.

All fish and corals in superb condition. Funny thing was, only 12 days, and i can visibly see the growth of all the fish.

For the time being, my next project is to catch that Horrible Candy Hog.

Anyone has any clue what's the shortest/easiest way to do it without rescaping?

(Pm will be nice).

wilson

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

glad to see you backk..

hope to see more update from you :rolleyes:

I've taken some shots, but nothing worth updating... everything is pretty much status quo.

except that irritating candy hog is bullying everything smaller than him... nowadays even fight with the purple firefish for food.

In progress of getting a betta box to trap it. This candy hog MUST be removed!

Somehow feel bored of the current rockscape, (though it looks nice), im considering of doing a rescape...

bro, will u by any chance to going down to town? i can arrange to pick up that K2 from u... should have just took it that day man! hahaha.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

FTS - 16 March 2008

post-13920-1205681382.jpg

Did some major spring-cleaning of the tank equipment after 2 weeks of holidays.

1) Removed all pumps/circulation pumps for washing... all thoroughly cleaned, scrubbed every part with toothbrush, inside and out.

2) Skimmer totally cleaned and washed (with toothbrush no less)

3) 25l water change (approx 10%)

4) Remove a dead anthias this afternoon (sad: my first casualty of this new beginning)

5) Still in the plans, catching the candy hog!!!

Next plan: to do up zoas hill on the right, mushies hill on the left.

Trying to find some nice specimens of bubble (got red ones??) + any red based corals...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

I've taken some shots, but nothing worth updating... everything is pretty much status quo.

except that irritating candy hog is bullying everything smaller than him... nowadays even fight with the purple firefish for food.

In progress of getting a betta box to trap it. This candy hog MUST be removed!

Somehow feel bored of the current rockscape, (though it looks nice), im considering of doing a rescape...

bro, will u by any chance to going down to town? i can arrange to pick up that K2 from u... should have just took it that day man! hahaha.

haha..

ask you that day, but you don want.. lol

the k2 still reserve for you..

take your time.. let me know when you want to collect..

the tank look nice and clean, goooood job.

keep it up :eyebrow:

wakao u feeding the fungi i gave u steroids har? So big liao! :wacko:

The one you pass me is on the sand bed. The bigger one on LR is from a fellow reefer.

Nice piece also, green tip with purple mouth.

:eyebrow:

I think target feeding the thing helps. I fed it with prawn meat twice a day (before my trip).

When i came back, i'm shocked (pleasantly) by the growth.

should have taken a picture that day when you pass to me... then can document the growth! shitz.

Thanks for the nice piece!

*sorry cant meet tonight, got a very last minute meeting that i need to attend.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

haha..

ask you that day, but you don want.. lol

the k2 still reserve for you..

take your time.. let me know when you want to collect..

the tank look nice and clean, goooood job.

keep it up :eyebrow:

hai, dun remind me... that day spent so much money in one single day... cannot tahan liao.

on the contrary, should have just taken it! Now waste too much time travelling up and down. :(

Thanks for the compliment... it looks clean coz i've got really nice cleaning crew.

1 turbo snail - nothing on glass to eat, now he's running all over the zoas on LRs.

1 blue legged hermit.... eats a lot of trash, but toppling a lot of corals too... just a matter of time before i throw it into the sump tank.

btw, i'll try to arrange either to ask my friend to pick up the K2 from u or i'll drive down one of these evenings.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Felt a little bored, so thought i'll do a little rearrangements of the corals...

So grouped all the zoas to the right... all mushies to the left.

Also, managed to find a piece of RBTA... though not in very good condition, so will have to slowly nuture it to good health...

As you would notice, most of the corals are still 'shy', coz photo was taken 30mins after relocation. Will take another shot tomorrow once they settle down.

So here's the new FTS - 17 March 2008

post-13920-1205776606.jpg

The new left slope - mushies and more (mostly green/orange yumas, normal ones lah, though would love to get some rics, but too ex, too ex...

post-13920-1205776618.jpg

The new right slope - zoas and more (only one worth mentioning is the red ones at the top right corner. Though the pink ones are slowly gaining back it's colour)

post-13920-1205776653.jpg

The latest addition - Red Bubble Tip Anemone

post-13920-1205776639.jpg

Any comments(+ve or -ve) would be nice.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

The RBTA moved there itself or u placed it there?

i placed it there. afterwards, it moved itself into the cave on the right.

this morning, when i woke up, it's nowhere to be found... hopefully it's still alive... somewhere.

with this new arrangement, there're more space above the zoas slope.

Hmm... what should i get?

What i have in mind is:

1) bubble - cateye

2) true octo

3) any other recommendations?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

hello u better find out where the RBTA is hor, when they die they will release toxins into the tank n everything will die. After that somemore must drain the whole tank wash thoroughly of all toxins b4 restart. U dowanna go thru that better remove it bro.

yah, thats why tonight die die must find the RBTA! but i believed usually for the first 1-2 days, it will usually try to find it's 'G' spot.

Once rooted, think it should be okie liao...

See whether my skimmate got additional red colour or not... hahaha.

But thanks bro, will monitor closer for the next couple of nights when im home.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

i'm letting go some of my LPS like pearl bubble, frogspawn, purple gonia etc soon to make space for more SPS. Give u first dips so hurry up come over my place when u free b4 i post at for sale section.

okie okie! i'll plan to go gown within these few nights. seems like you have everything i plan to get sia! (i want SPS also!!!)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

If u plan to keep sps u will need more than just one seio for water flow bro, i now have almost 20000l/hr of flow in my tank still consider not enuf

definitely... im planning to take over a K2, from sunny (whom i bought my tank).

am going to start small, maybe a frag or two... if that's okie, then i'll upgrade.

thats when i'll fire up the CR thats idling...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|