A new beginning

wilsontantw

haha...good to know a reefer who treats his fishes well.becos brineshrimp is not enough for these fishes to bring out their coloring. just share with u.

those salmon u bought from market are farm-breed. u can see their colors are so "ang ang", is becos they fed them with chemicals so that the meat looks red and fresh.

they did that becos few years back, these captive-breed fishes lose their colors easily over the years.

that's why i starting researching into what these fishes need and their diet to start this food trade. trying to create a diet close to their nature diet. :D

and the joy is to see them happily feeding.a lot of science is involved and really take a long time to come out with this.:D

glad to know the sun corals love them. kinda reminds me of my sun corals. :cry:

used to have a big group of sun corals which are feed until fat fat.hahahaha..

haha...so fast aiming for my blue staghorn liao. haha. :eyebrow:

haha... im someone who likes to buy my fish small, then slowly watch them grow big. Problem is, all the fish have now grown fat! But i like them chubby lah. haha. I bought my BT and black clowns as babies, they were all so small when i first got them. Now, they're grown up already. Soon, the tank will be too small for them.

i dunno what to say, but i'm mixing quite a few different food for the fish/corals now. My freezer is like filled with fish food. (luckily we dun cook much, else sure no space to keep).

Eh, the blue stag is really chio lor, but have to wait till i power up my CR. See, i've been trying to get it up for the longest time (actually i bought it for more than 2 months liao). Problem is, there're many things to do before i can fire it up.

- buy PH Controller

- top up CO2 tank

- buy a small feed pump

- custom-build a small container tank at the base of the CR to prevent any leakage of the Ehiem circulation pump.

- Most importantly... how to use that bugger!?!? need to find someone who has a CR and knows how to use it.

Sigh, just to fire up 1 equipment, i need to do so many things...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member

Ops...was at victor's house. forgot to login my own account.hhaha...nvm, help him earn one post. ;)

that day saw Jem selling his CR with CO2 solenoid. you try searching for that post. think that one is suitable up to 4ft tank. :D

think u can read online regarding CR. think initial stage need some time to set up and adjust ur drip rate.

just need to get a good media or else u need to keep changing the media. try ARM, it's good.

anyway, GO told u that one is table acropora ar ? think u wait and see ba. if it grow outside like a table manner, then it's a table acro.

anyway, saw victor's table acro today.has an acro crab there. kinda cute.haha.

think he is trying out the balling method for his tank with some magnesium he get from other reefers.

maybe get one bag from him to try.haha.

good that u feed them chubby cos some of the fishes i saw at lfs. those ppl keep very long then dun want, they give it to my friend's lfs to sell. those fishes are really big but the color is like.....hahaha..

you see u will cry for these fishes.

i know some reefers who keep fishes but dun wanna feed cos scared later nitrate up, then affect corals.

poor fishes...more like keeping water than keeping fishes...haha.

food is to feed fishes and after u eat, u clean up the table. that's wat filter system is for.

u wan to feed but dun wan to get dirty, it's like u wan to eat but dun wan to wash hand.

hahaha..

anyway, right now i manage to keep twin spot alive for a very long time with X-nature food. think u will see the result soon. very nice fish and clean up my tank's sand real neat. :D those small mouth fishes will certainly benefit from it.

cheers.

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

Ops...was at victor's house. forgot to login my own account.hhaha...nvm, help him earn one post. ;)

that day saw Jem selling his CR with CO2 solenoid. you try searching for that post. think that one is suitable up to 4ft tank. :D

think u can read online regarding CR. think initial stage need some time to set up and adjust ur drip rate.

just need to get a good media or else u need to keep changing the media. try ARM, it's good.

anyway, GO told u that one is table acropora ar ? think u wait and see ba. if it grow outside like a table manner, then it's a table acro.

anyway, saw victor's table acro today.has an acro crab there. kinda cute.haha.

think he is trying out the balling method for his tank with some magnesium he get from other reefers.

maybe get one bag from him to try.haha.

good that u feed them chubby cos some of the fishes i saw at lfs. those ppl keep very long then dun want, they give it to my friend's lfs to sell. those fishes are really big but the color is like.....hahaha..

you see u will cry for these fishes.

i know some reefers who keep fishes but dun wanna feed cos scared later nitrate up, then affect corals.

poor fishes...more like keeping water than keeping fishes...haha.

food is to feed fishes and after u eat, u clean up the table. that's wat filter system is for.

u wan to feed but dun wan to get dirty, it's like u wan to eat but dun wan to wash hand.

hahaha..

anyway, right now i manage to keep twin spot alive for a very long time with X-nature food. think u will see the result soon. very nice fish and clean up my tank's sand real neat. :D those small mouth fishes will certainly benefit from it.

cheers.

Hey RX, How you doing man...

You know what, i actually have a CR with CO2 + solenoid liao. Bought from a fellow reefer when he decommed. But it is sitting there for 2 months un-used. He gave me the medium as well. Not sure what it is. I've got magnesium to be used in a CR also. (from sunnymau whom i bought the tank from)... So technically, it's waiting to be fired only. haha.

My acro (supposedly table), has 2 crabs inside wor. Are they acro crabs?!? It's light red in colour.

Btw, how's Victor doing lately... should have asked you to pass him the frags i wanted to give him. What's balling ah? I dunno what's that man. The magnesium that i have, needs to be used in a reactor. Cannot do direct mix/dose leh.

Hey, you should ask franklin about my fish... hehe... my YT... power one! come over one of these days... you'll go 'waaaaaa'.

The colouration is bright yellow and fatty.

hehe.

Btw, you know how to use the CR not ah? I'm planning to set up by this weekend (latest next week), coz now got quite a few sps, and i'm too lazy to dose, so better get the CR up soon.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Setting up ur CR, what ya need:

1. First thing to do is top up the CO2 tank, takes 3-4 days b4 u can collect its not a 'on the spot' top up kindof service.

2. Buy some CO2 hose to replace the old ones, they harden overtime so its good to change the old ones out.

3. Buy 2-3 adjustable valves to be fitted to the tubings for fine tuning output.

4. Prepare some teflon tape (white type used for piping threads)

5. Buy ur CR media if u havent, ARM by Caribsea is a good choice. Or coarse coral chips will do, see clementi uncle got sell or not.

6. PH controller if u buy second hand one make sure probe is in good condition as its the most expensive part to replace. U will need PH 7 buffer solution to calibrate the unit too. Dont buy the short bottle type of buffer, i bot b4 it aint accurate.

7. Some rubber holders to stick the tubing to desired areas.

8. U will also need a CO2 checkvalve to prevent backflow of seawater towards ur solenoid valve. Sells for pack of 2.

9. I dont suggest using a feeder pump for the CR its wasting electricity n the pump will spoil fast due to restriction of its output since the CR doesnt need more than 50l/hr, just T-off from ur return pump or chiller pump using a pvp T-joint can liao. (must drill small hole and glue an air tubing nipple to it) I can make 1 for u if u want but u come collect hehe i lazy to ride all the way to Bedok. Will post a pic so u know how it looks like.

10. Prepare some pvp glue as ur CR is an external unit so we want to reglue all joints b4 usage just to be sure.

11. Detach the CR pump first and test run in bucket of water, we dont want to last minute set everything up n have a bloody pump not working do we?

Well thats about all that i can think of after recalling back the tedious n frustrating ordeal i went thru a few mths back while setting mine up alone. Feel free to call me if u need more help, i can come help u set up this coming weekend lah but my fee is 2 tiger beers! ;)

Heres a pic of the T-off joint i made for feeding water to the CR ...

post-6513-1208835913.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh yah one more thing, not advisable to put magnesium media in CR, since theres no such thing as magnesium controller or monitoring unit u might overdose since ur CR turns on and off quite a lot meaning everytime the CR kicks in ur magnesium level goes up regardless or whether ur corals are consuming magnesium the same rate ur CR discharges it.

Setting up ur CR, what ya need:

1. First thing to do is top up the CO2 tank, takes 3-4 days b4 u can collect its not a 'on the spot' top up kindof service.

2. Buy some CO2 hose to replace the old ones, they harden overtime so its good to change the old ones out.

3. Buy 2-3 adjustable valves to be fitted to the tubings for fine tuning output.

4. Prepare some teflon tape (white type used for piping threads)

5. Buy ur CR media if u havent, ARM by Caribsea is a good choice. Or coarse coral chips will do, see clementi uncle got sell or not.

6. PH controller if u buy second hand one make sure probe is in good condition as its the most expensive part to replace. U will need PH 7 buffer solution to calibrate the unit too. Dont buy the short bottle type of buffer, i bot b4 it aint accurate.

7. Some rubber holders to stick the tubing to desired areas.

8. U will also need a CO2 checkvalve to prevent backflow of seawater towards ur solenoid valve. Sells for pack of 2.

9. I dont suggest using a feeder pump for the CR its wasting electricity n the pump will spoil fast due to restriction of its output since the CR doesnt need more than 50l/hr, just T-off from ur return pump or chiller pump using a pvp T-joint can liao. (must drill small hole and glue an air tubing nipple to it) I can make 1 for u if u want but u come collect hehe i lazy to ride all the way to Bedok. Will post a pic so u know how it looks like.

10. Prepare some pvp glue as ur CR is an external unit so we want to reglue all joints b4 usage just to be sure.

11. Detach the CR pump first and test run in bucket of water, we dont want to last minute set everything up n have a bloody pump not working do we?

Well thats about all that i can think of after recalling back the tedious n frustrating ordeal i went thru a few mths back while setting mine up alone. Feel free to call me if u need more help, i can come help u set up this coming weekend lah but my fee is 2 tiger beers! ;)

Heres a pic of the T-off joint i made for feeding water to the CR ...

Bro, very detailed instructions... but frankly, i lost you half way thru... I tell you what, i have a dozen of tiger + 6 pack heineken in my fridge! Not to mention the amount of wine + hard liquor... You're welcomed any time! hahaha... (but seriously, i'll do some more reading first...)

Let me go get the Co2 fixed up, buy the PH controller first. This should be done by this weekend. Maybe i'll take one day leave, and we'll get down to firing up the CR! you can see how's the pink frag that you pass me the other day... now it's slowly growing... (the pink is coming out really nice).

Kum sia man!

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

haha...2 tiger beer. think soul's experience will definitely be useful in setting up ur CR.

i didn't set up before so cannot help much.hahaha.

magnesium really need to monitor one.u can try but keep the amount at 10 cal:1 mag.

that's the NSW's level.

maybe can try to add only a very small portion only.think u can try reading it up before u set up.

will definitely helps u alot plus with soul's help. everything will be great.

will definitely love to see ur tank one day. and that fat yellow tang.hahaha.

and balling is a diff. method of dosing. it's u mix ur calcium, mag, strontium, carbonate, trace element and iodine all into containers. then use dripping to add it in.that's what i going to test out. :D

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

Rowalith C+ must be mixed with Rowalith W, i am currently using these media in my CR. Its good but expensive in the long run cos u need to buy C+ & W whereas other types u dont need to. Goto the reefdepot website and u can checkout the pricing. For me i am using it cos the CR i bot had new media just filled already. Feedback on this product is that it requires a CR tall enuf in design so u dont get milky effluet clouding ur tank. U will also need to wash the media thoroughly b4 filling the CR. Coralin algae growth is one of the fastest though ....

I recommend this > http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem~idProduct~KL3511.html , but i dont think its available in SG. I plan to order it for my next media change. The ARM one is good too, but if u intend to use the Rowalith then just go buy media W n mix lor. Ur CR is a little short though bro ...

Rowalith C+ must be mixed with Rowalith W, i am currently using these media in my CR. Its good but expensive in the long run cos u need to buy C+ & W whereas other types u dont need to. Goto the reefdepot website and u can checkout the pricing. For me i am using it cos the CR i bot had new media just filled already. Feedback on this product is that it requires a CR tall enuf in design so u dont get milky effluet clouding ur tank. U will also need to wash the media thoroughly b4 filling the CR. Coralin algae growth is one of the fastest though ....

I recommend this > http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewItem~idProduct~KL3511.html , but i dont think its available in SG. I plan to order it for my next media change. The ARM one is good too, but if u intend to use the Rowalith then just go buy media W n mix lor. Ur CR is a little short though bro ...

i thot Rowalith C+ already 50:50 mixed of Rowalith C n W ? http://www.rowa.com.sg/

• SRC Member
i thot Rowalith C+ already 50:50 mixed of Rowalith C n W ? http://www.rowa.com.sg/

Yah its already premixed however by adding extra media 'W' in the dissolving rate is increased so that the CR works better at keeping PH/KH stable in theory. CO2 usage would lessen too since W dissolves faster. Heres info from the Deltec website in USA where some customers asked Deltec bout media W.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/?q=node/411

Due to some carelessness, my CO managed to get to see the past few month's electricity bill.

Needless to say, kena a good one from her... "how come the bill so high? Furthermore, we were away for 2 weeks on holiday in march?!!??"

Naturally, my first reaction was:

"Oh, Garment increase electricity bill increase lor" - this despite me knowing its only w.e.f 1 Apr. hehe

Then, she went ohhh....

<But can't be so much what!!!>

Naturally, i was speechless thereafter.

Sigh... the hazards of reefing... always keep the bill away from your CO, even if you're paying for it!

Anyway, this afternoon, just saw NEA's TVC on energy conservation... And by some weird coincidence, watched this tv program about carbon footprint (yet again!)

Suddenly felt like i should do my part to save the planet!

Am considering of reverting back to LPS+softies (or maybe even softies + fish only)...

Thus, may be going on a massive selling spree...

Watch this space...

First to go, i believe, would be the SPS...

1) Bright green Acro colony

post-13920-1209306040.jpg

(and i just got this piece of beauty like 2 weeks ago)

2) Red Monti Plate (multi-plate + on a very nice piece of LR)

post-13920-1209306094.jpg

(Just when i started to observe growth on the plate)

3) Purple Monti Plate (no pix for now)

4) CR + solenoid valve + Co2 tank (never used before lor!)

Sigh...

Bro Soul, too bad ah... dun think i'll need to fire up the CR liao. I'll do some careful consideration for one more week, after which, i'll decide whether to put them up on sale or not.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

1) From the height and overall scaping of ur tank theres no need to sell ur sps since u place most of them at the very top. Just switch from ur MH to full T5. Ur bill should cut down to about $50 from that alone.

2) Skimmer i told u when u first bot liao the drawbacks of needing a high wattage pump to run becketts. Skimmer i suggest sell n buy a good skimmer that doesnt require strong pump. What type of skimmer to change to dont worry Uncle Soul help u choose cheap, efficient n low consumption one.

3) FR can just T-off from chiller pump or return pump u save another 10 watts.

4) CR can still use as most dont consume much electricity.

5) Chiller can also try running 1 degree higher shouldnt effect the corals much.

1) From the height and overall scaping of ur tank theres no need to sell ur sps since u place most of them at the very top. Just switch from ur MH to full T5. Ur bill should cut down to about $50 from that alone.

2) Skimmer i told u when u first bot liao the drawbacks of needing a high wattage pump to run becketts. Skimmer i suggest sell n buy a good skimmer that doesnt require strong pump. What type of skimmer to change to dont worry Uncle Soul help u choose cheap, efficient n low consumption one.

3) FR can just T-off from chiller pump or return pump u save another 10 watts.

4) CR can still use as most dont consume much electricity.

5) Chiller can also try running 1 degree higher shouldnt effect the corals much.

Hmm.. let's see.

1) 250W MH > 4xT5s? Thought of doing that, but cant seemed to find something that comes in a set like Solite. Inclusive of 2x 1w moonlight.

What i'll do is just to turn the MH for 2 hrs instead of the existing 4. Thus, some sps (namely the newly bought Acro) have to go. (sianz)

2) Skimmer, wa zan eh, but this skimmer super good sia, i think the 50W is worth it, as long as it's hardworking and keep everything in check.

3) FR, i dunno how to T-off anymore. I've got a AB5000, this is already T to chiller and main return. My current FR pump is a blood s()cking 800l/h @ 16W dolphin pump which will be replaced very very soon! Am thinking of getting a good pump to T-off to FR + CR.

4) CR, dun consume much meh? i think the ehiem pump that comes with it.. tsk tsk tsk, sure eat more power ah.

5) Chiller, ah, this one, confirm i'll push up slowly... 0.1 degree every 2 days... now set at 26.5C, eventually will put it at 27C (+/- 0.5C). This should save a lot more power.

I believe at this stage, i'll still keep my monti... and the smaller frags which requires lower lighting+flow requirements, this should be sufficient. Will observe for the next few months and see how.

Anyone keen on the acro?

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

hahaa...wasted bro,but cool to be so green for the planet.hehe. :D

anyway ur red monti looks nice, how much u letting go ?

Pm me.hehe.

it's not for the planet bro... it's for my wallet ah.

I'm trying to save some dough for my another 'project'... cannot have too many hobbies man... my income doesn't allow so many luxuries, so have to pick my 'battles' carefully.

Monti's are easier to keep, so i think i'll keep this one for awhile... really cant bare to let go of this piece.

But no worries, once my tank stabilises i'll start fragging. (i.e. break into small pieces, hopefully they'll propogate).

Today, realised the importance of having FR! After doing some minor shifting on last Sat, i forgot to turn on the FR pump.

Now got algae problem, just within 2 days only. tsk tsk tsk... can u imagine life without FR (with Sorb4)??? amazing!

And active carbon! I must say it works like a charm too.

My tank used to have some yellowish colour (especially when i woke up in the morning to view the tank. After a fellow reefer (Sonic Frank), passed me some active carbon to try.. woo hoo... beautiful, the water is now crystal clear!

:)

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

MH on 2hrs might as well dont on?!? T5 u gonna need 6 to cover the area properly, which is easy to get as so many ppl decomming n selling their DE T5 sets. Get the 36watts ones with ATI tubes. Can get 2 pairs then DIY the 3rd pair. Moonlight the set i bot has 10 LED bulbs running on 10 watts only, $18. Got smaller set for ur tank size so its even cheaper. Water proof somemore can put anywhere in the tank u want or even externally.

Skimmer i wanted to recommend u not only takes up less space it runs on 1 pump at 22 watts only n performance equals a Deltec but only 1/4 the price of 1.

If u really dont want to keep sensitive type of sps liao all the more theres no pt running the MH anymore bro. Think about it lah ... extra heat from MH = more work for chiller no matter how many hrs u lessen for the MH operation. Bulb somemore expensive u havent change yet u dunno the heartpain.

That's precisely my dilemma now.

Dunno to sps or not. they're doing well now... so its an encouragement. But the running cost (even on such a small tank as mine) already im thinking twice. Am embarking on a new 'project' hehe. Recently my good friends all change car, i see already also gian. haha... so trying to save abit. hehe.

skimmer... that sounds good leh. maybe we should meet up for kopi soon! tell me more abt it.

And i did change the bulb! Pheonix 14KK ah! that's precisely the reason why i'm not selling the light set yet. So lose a lot of money... sigh.

MH on 2hrs might as well dont on?!? T5 u gonna need 6 to cover the area properly, which is easy to get as so many ppl decomming n selling their DE T5 sets. Get the 36watts ones with ATI tubes. Can get 2 pairs then DIY the 3rd pair. Moonlight the set i bot has 10 LED bulbs running on 10 watts only, $18. Got smaller set for ur tank size so its even cheaper. Water proof somemore can put anywhere in the tank u want or even externally.

Skimmer i wanted to recommend u not only takes up less space it runs on 1 pump at 22 watts only n performance equals a Deltec but only 1/4 the price of 1.

If u really dont want to keep sensitive type of sps liao all the more theres no pt running the MH anymore bro. Think about it lah ... extra heat from MH = more work for chiller no matter how many hrs u lessen for the MH operation. Bulb somemore expensive u havent change yet u dunno the heartpain.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

• SRC Member

Heres a pic of the skimmer in action i'm recommending u guys, i want to make it clear i'm not distributing this brand of skimmers or trying to make a quick buck out of anyone thats why i'm not gonna give the brand name or model in here. I have been monitoring the performance n cost factor of this skimmer for a couple of mths already and all i can say is no horse run! Interested just pm me n i'll pass u the contacts n u go get it yourself.

post-6513-1209506300.jpg

Heres a pic of the skimmer in action i'm recommending u guys, i want to make it clear i'm not distributing this brand of skimmers or trying to make a quick buck out of anyone thats why i'm not gonna give the brand name or model in here. I have been monitoring the performance n cost factor of this skimmer for a couple of mths already and all i can say is no horse run! Interested just pm me n i'll pass u the contacts n u go get it yourself.

I think I saw it b4 at Jireh a few months ago :rolleyes: ! U bought from them?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

bro ur lobang is really great..post-7067-1209619728.gif

let me add more infor.. tis skimmer is running Aquabee pump 2000I..

belive me no one can find a skimmer using Aquabee pumps wif tat kind of price in sg..

I myself is using skimmer running Aquabee pump 2000I..

performance equals a Deltec too..

bro Soul may I call yu lobang king.. lolx.. post-7067-1209620265.gif

Some new equipment...

post-13920-1208708576.jpg

Added a 2nd hand ozoniser (Aquamedic) protected by ziplock bag! - Have a question for those using the same one, there're 2 outputs... do i need to seal off one of it?? I'm currently connecting one of the output into the Skimmer input.

post-13920-1208708566.jpg

This, made controlling lighting timing so much easier. One single timer, controlling 3 separate outputs. 15 programmable settings. (Now i'm only using 3).

Superb value for money! (Thanks to sonic_frank for introducing this wonderful piece of equipment).

Previously using 3 x analogue timers to control Moonlight, T5 and MH... all running separately, different timing circuits...

Now, all 3 running on the same timing circuit, no more missing overlaps.

Bro,

Where you get this timer and how much?

Regards

Sherman

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016