Help! Zoas not opening up!?

Icesiren

Hmmm..... I think i din acclimatised them properly.... Cos subsequently, I bought another batch of zoas and they hv been ok. Tested my parameters and everything's fine. guess it's more like fate that 2 particular pieces refuse to open

I have some problem previously too and mine affected the all the zoa in my tank (anout six batches) they have always been happy and fully bloom and suddenly shut and not open for a month.

lastly i did the iodine dip and also a 10mins fresh water dip. manage to save all except for one.

Was told that certain nudy branch effect it too, cause mine monti was affected by it also did the iodine dip to save 75% of the monti...sigh

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

had to stress that dip is absolutely important. bought some zoos which are opened in LFS. having transferred to my tank, they became shut. Quickly did an Lugol dip in Fresh water + Turkey Blast. You can't imagine the amount of gunk in there... mantis, crab, flat worms, bristle worms, n sundial snails.. all harmful to the zoos... now into day 2 after dip.. some are opening up whilst some zoos are not .. but will track the progress.. HTH.

• 2 weeks later...
had to stress that dip is absolutely important. bought some zoos which are opened in LFS. having transferred to my tank, they became shut. Quickly did an Lugol dip in Fresh water + Turkey Blast. You can't imagine the amount of gunk in there... mantis, crab, flat worms, bristle worms, n sundial snails.. all harmful to the zoos... now into day 2 after dip.. some are opening up whilst some zoos are not .. but will track the progress.. HTH.

Hi just interested to know how to do this

"Quickly did an Lugol dip in Fresh water + Turkey Blast"

Is it effective?

• SRC Member

basically. I add in a drop of lugol with some freshwater in a separate container.. then place the zoos in (abt 5 mins).. during the 5 mins, I used a dropper (larger ones), and blast the rock with jets of water from the dropper.. This force of water will dislodge any dead critters, dirt, dead zoos, and some of the fungi that are grown on the zoos...

So far, the ones that are affected before i used this treatment are starting to open op.. about 20%.. some of them are dead (cos they are already in bad bad condition before i tried this method)

For new zoos i purchased, they usually open up after 2 days.

HTH..

• SRC Member
basically. I add in a drop of lugol with some freshwater in a separate container.. then place the zoos in (abt 5 mins).. during the 5 mins, I used a dropper (larger ones), and blast the rock with jets of water from the dropper.. This force of water will dislodge any dead critters, dirt, dead zoos, and some of the fungi that are grown on the zoos...

So far, the ones that are affected before i used this treatment are starting to open op.. about 20%.. some of them are dead (cos they are already in bad bad condition before i tried this method)

For new zoos i purchased, they usually open up after 2 days.

HTH..

if you have a rock with half dead zoos and the rest are ok, do u just scrap off the dead ones? i tried dipping some zoos today... added two cap of iodine into a rather small container. didn't blast the water around on the zoo though

• SRC Member
my 2 cents..

maybe u can buy sgrinye from any pharmacy for using on e blast method..

realli something new i yet to try out..

any1 can teach me how to remove zoos from rocks?

beside dipping them..cus they r heathly but growing too fast..

ur zoos realli got pest meh ?

use penknife to cut along the polyps that u want to frag out, den 'scrape' off the base of the mat of the zzoas.. if done correctly, u should be scraping off the top layer of the rock as the polyps stick to the rock.. so minimal damage is done to the polyps.. den superglue gel the base of the polyps onto another rock..

thats how i usually do it, my 2cents worth.. :D

this could be useful: http://www.zoaid.com/articles003.php

cheers!

Yeah.... maybe it's bcos I shocked them by placing too near the light source when i bring them back.............

Thanks for your advice.... going Auntie there later in the afternoon. get another piece to try..... :eyebrow:

I hav tis occurence too but i change 50% water den k oready

you might try too

Hi all!!

I also have been stung with these problem.. Red Zoas...not opening properly (1/2 open) after water change. At times it dont even open at all.

You guys mentioned about water dips. How do we perform that? What is it really for?

PLease advise.

• 1 month later...

Got rid of the angel already and bought a chiller too. Temp now between 26 to 28 degrees.... Shifted the zoas to the top half of the tank but still seem to be shrinking and losing the colours. Wat should I do now? Water also changed already.... Should I change my lighting setup? Now using Hopar with Aquaz bulbs. (2 blue 2 white).... Sianzz leh.... see other people zoas open up so nicely I very jealous...

• SRC Member
I have some problem previously too and mine affected the all the zoa in my tank (anout six batches) they have always been happy and fully bloom and suddenly shut and not open for a month.

lastly i did the iodine dip and also a 10mins fresh water dip. manage to save all except for one.

Was told that certain nudy branch effect it too, cause mine monti was affected by it also did the iodine dip to save 75% of the monti...sigh

I'm starting to face the same problem with my zoas. Ever since I bought the red zoas that remained closed all the way till it completely disappeared, my other zoas are starting to be partially closed. Any specific brand of iodine to try? Must you soak the whole colony in iodine? Do I need to rinse with fresh water after the dip before putting it back to the main tank?

• SRC Member
Got rid of the angel already and bought a chiller too. Temp now between 26 to 28 degrees.... Shifted the zoas to the top half of the tank but still seem to be shrinking and losing the colours. Wat should I do now? Water also changed already.... Should I change my lighting setup? Now using Hopar with Aquaz bulbs. (2 blue 2 white).... Sianzz leh.... see other people zoas open up so nicely I very jealous...

I using Horpar wif one ATI actinic,One ATI blue plus,one aqualight10kkelvin and one horpar 10kkelvin tube(changing soon cos too yellow) and i got 2 nice zoos from GO and they open up happily even though my nitrate is 40 that time be4 i got myself an FR wif nitrate removing media inside.oh and i didn't change my water for months and my corals inside miraculously so adapted to it.Wow and i didn't do any dips(such a bad reefer).Try GOs zoos cos mine is doing well now wif seemingly hungry seagrass filefish loitering around the area which i dun like it.

Hmm wonder why ur zoos nt opening...........Any current water parameters???

girlone.png

• SRC Member
I using Horpar wif one ATI actinic,One ATI blue plus,one aqualight10kkelvin and one horpar 10kkelvin tube(changing soon cos too yellow) and i got 2 nice zoos from GO and they open up happily even though my nitrate is 40 that time be4 i got myself an FR wif nitrate removing media inside.oh and i didn't change my water for months and my corals inside miraculously so adapted to it.Wow and i didn't do any dips(such a bad reefer).Try GOs zoos cos mine is doing well now wif seemingly hungry seagrass filefish loitering around the area which i dun like it.

hahah...very good example of bad husbandry.

anyway, for zoas...

Best to dip all corals for pest and disease. I did that for all my fishes and corals.

Fishes aside...corals use iodine or lugol's solution.

and dun mix up iodine with iodide.

Do not add iodine into main tank at high quantity cos it will kill ur inverts.

and try not to use the freshwater method. tell u the reason later.

Instead, first when u get a new specimen.

add it ur tank water slowly to acclimate it first.

after that then u add in iodine and just a drop of it will do.

If too much, u will only kill it in the end. The concentration is very high.

Dun TRY, becos I kill my prata doing that before.

If u try the freshwater method or add in alot of iodine, it will only stress it.

and that explains why ur zoas still wun open up even after that.

and DO that for only 5MINs.

Using freshwater is to create a osmotic difference so that the pest will get killed.

But CORALS are of the similar osmotic pressure as the pests or inverts around, so even if u kill the pest, u are also

stressing the corals themselves. Especially if it's LPS. Zoas alike are also sensitive.

This method can still be attempted by as the last resort.

If u really gonna do that, made sure the pH of the freshwater is the same as ur tank.

and made sure u decholrine the water.

OR else tthe corals will face pH stress, Osmotic stress and chlorine stress all together.

HOW STRESS..

My mum previously took my sun corals for a bath secretly without me knowing and kill it in her hands.:(

• SRC Member

hahah...very good example of bad husbandry.

anyway, for zoas...

Best to dip all corals for pest and disease. I did that for all my fishes and corals.

Fishes aside...corals use iodine or lugol's solution.

and dun mix up iodine with iodide.

Do not add iodine into main tank at high quantity cos it will kill ur inverts.

and try not to use the freshwater method. tell u the reason later.

Instead, first when u get a new specimen.

add it ur tank water slowly to acclimate it first.

after that then u add in iodine and just a drop of it will do.

If too much, u will only kill it in the end. The concentration is very high.

Dun TRY, becos I kill my prata doing that before.

If u try the freshwater method or add in alot of iodine, it will only stress it.

and that explains why ur zoas still wun open up even after that.

and DO that for only 5MINs.

Using freshwater is to create a osmotic difference so that the pest will get killed.

But CORALS are of the similar osmotic pressure as the pests or inverts around, so even if u kill the pest, u are also

stressing the corals themselves. Especially if it's LPS. Zoas alike are also sensitive.

This method can still be attempted by as the last resort.

If u really gonna do that, made sure the pH of the freshwater is the same as ur tank.

and made sure u decholrine the water.

OR else tthe corals will face pH stress, Osmotic stress and chlorine stress all together.

HOW STRESS..

My mum previously took my sun corals for a bath secretly without me knowing and kill it in her hands.:(

• SRC Member

all factors that contribute to zoas not opening, it's becos of these factors:

-Salinity

-pH and kH

-Temperature

All these factors can affect ur zoas so take note to have them at optimum level.

but normally if they are just not opening up, it is either disease or water quality.

unless u see a hole or missing zoas, then most likely pest eating them up or walking over them.

(my MI eats my eagle eye zoas...:( )

if everything is good, give some iodine(iodide), strontium and trace elements to help them.

then wait for a week to see if any changes.

And if they still doesn't open after all the try...the rest is up to the determination of ur zoas and ur own husbandry.

u can try putting them at different places but one location for at least a week. or else keep shifting them also shift them.

until u give up...maybe one day they will open after they have get over with all the stress.

or else the enormous amount of stress have already kill it and it is on its way to hades.

• SRC Member

I'm confused... iodine or iodide? Where can I get the right one to dip my zoas in? I already bought a big bottle of iodide (its stated on the bottle, but with the word iodine as well... :huh: ) and it looks like the dosing type. Pls help?

• SRC Member

iodide is a dosing supplement for shrimp and corals. it is a more safe state for inverts and tank.not for coral dips.

iodine is for coral dips and can also be use as supplement but with caution.

lugol's solution is actually iodine and can be used for coral dip and supplement too.

seachem also have coral dip solution which is also iodine.that one i not sure if can use for supplement also.

where to get ? alot of place sell them. try to get the lugol's solution or seachem one.

cheers.