LFS Attitude

piero

• SRC Member

Decided to pop by a LFS in the North East since quite of my LS died while I was on business trip to the U.S. Went in and saw that the tanks are all filled with corals...

Hmm... seems like business no good but since was told that there is a sale, why not look see look see..

Went ahead and asked the price of a few pieces of corals.

Was told that Monti is $40... wow... I only pay like $20+ usually. Looks ok but put off by the price, no wonder no sale. Procceed to look at other corals and asked for the prices.

Seeing that I have a bit of interest in a reddish brown monti, the guy at the shop immediately packed it up as well as another piece and urged me to pick up another piece. Was a bit sian liao. Just picked one more piece, paid and left.

A bit sian after getting home. Does LFS need to resort to such hard sell tactics?

Bro that's a bad experience... I have not encounter such "forcing" before :unsure:

Tank 60x40x40 Optiwhite Glass Tank Sump Elos 500 w/ Tunze Overflow Protein Skimmer Skimz Kone SK1 Return Pump Hydor Seltz L30 Wavemaker Hydor K1 Illumination 150W + 2 T5 Chiller Arctica 1/5hp w/ Aquabee 1000 Water Top-up Tunze Osmolator Dosing Pumps Grotech 3-Channels Calcium Reactor Deltec PF 501 Computer Aquatronica

• SRC Member

No offence bro, but IMO, the ultimate decision to buy or not lies with you, no? Unless they force you at gunpoint, you still have a choice of not buying and walking away. Why relent to his tactics and then regret now...? Of course, if you have already started bargaining with him, and actually managed to lower the price, then its really not nice to reject him.

• SRC Member

Haiz.

Oil price increase, food price increase, everything also increase.

Guess the shop probably a bit desperate bah, no business mah.

So far, I have not met this kind of LFS, anyway,

lets juz let this incident be one-off event, nxt time dun go there again loh.

:)

• SRC Member

<_< the other time i was 'forced' to buy a 1" blue tang @ $28 also in another LFS !! Kinda pissed and irritated by the hard selling!

Thankfully most of the other LFS owners are usually v nice and friendly! Cheers!

i have a bad experience .....

i went to tis shop ....i lookin at 2 common clown fish...those cheap and normal onez...usually it cost only $1 each.

Well, tat day i went... b4 i 'catch' the fish... i ask about the price first... i ask a Mrs 'A'...she say $3 each....i say i buy from u last time at $1 each only...and then she told me because is was imported this time round(which i choose to believe) then after tat she say ok lah... i charge u @ $2 each...giv u discount. then i oso ok lor... so i catch 2 fishes.

then when i went to pay for it.... it was then a different person....he see my 2 fishes and say $10 total.

$10 for 2 common clown fish! and is in small size....

Then i told him tat Mrs 'A' quote me $2 each only.

Then he say ok then...total will be $4.

So wat do u guys think. Are they trying to con people? i will nv go to that shop again.

• SRC Member

Hmm... interesting topic.

From my experience, usually those that has bad attitude sure close down within 2yrs or earlier. No doubt about it. So, just a matter of time only.

Some cheap also good service and stocks are good. (business growing bigger and bigger, increase market share)

Some expensive but good service and stocks are good too. (surviving but depends on market force and matter of time)

Some expensive and also got attitude, but stocks damn good.. (usually wont survive more than 2yrs - witness a few and boycotted 1 which closed down last year)

Some expensive, service sucks, stocks are lousy.. (less than 1 yr, close down, no need to mentioned)

So whether they survive or not and for how long, it all depends on YOU....

• SRC Member
So whether they survive or not and for how long, it all depends on YOU....

totally agreed...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Decided to pop by a LFS in the North East since quite of my LS died while I was on business trip to the U.S. Went in and saw that the tanks are all filled with corals...

Hmm... seems like business no good but since was told that there is a sale, why not look see look see..

Went ahead and asked the price of a few pieces of corals.

Was told that Monti is $40... wow... I only pay like $20+ usually. Looks ok but put off by the price, no wonder no sale. Procceed to look at other corals and asked for the prices.

Seeing that I have a bit of interest in a reddish brown monti, the guy at the shop immediately packed it up as well as another piece and urged me to pick up another piece. Was a bit sian liao. Just picked one more piece, paid and left.

A bit sian after getting home. Does LFS need to resort to such hard sell tactics?

i know wat u meant.. i went to this LFS, was quoted $80 for a lobo, the size of less than 3" and $60 for a orange place... btw, this very same place, i bought the same corals for $25 and $20 before....

But seriously, if in ur shoes, i might not get anything at all and walk away...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.