Wil small, budget tank

wil_lee76

• SRC Member
Thank you for the input...valerossis... & thats a GREAT article for refernces! :D

Personally...i dun wanna my tank to cover by big items like this skimmer...thinking of getting one like Tunze to fit into my back compartments which i think bro reefer cosmo is doing it...But afriad that the dimension cant fit in...and the price....manz....the smaller the items...more $$$$...OMG...preparing to slave from todays onwards...

Anyone selling???? :D

GL looking for worker. U wan to try it? As a part-time?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
GL looking for worker. U wan to try it? As a part-time?

wow! if stand there...i will make sure u stand there toooooo... :P

• SRC Member

valerossi: No offence, but isn't what you typed about the redsea skimmer exactly what i've typed as a review on the Redsea skimmer on another site? You may use the pictures or article but at least have the courtesy to mention that it is quoted from another website if you intend to copy. :thanks:

Anyway, just to add on about the Redsea Skimmer, having used it for sometime now, another problem encountered is the O-ring coming lose. Meaning, the collection cup does not sit firmly onto the skimmer body. However, so far this doesn't pose as a major problem as i've not had water spill out of the skimmer before.

By the way, nice tank you got there wil_lee76. Looks better than my nano which is overgrown with nuisance algae at the moment.

• SRC Member
valerossi: No offence, but isn't what you typed about the redsea skimmer exactly what i've typed as a review on the Redsea skimmer on another site? You may use the pictures or article but at least have the courtesy to mention that it is quoted from another website if you intend to copy. :thanks:

Anyway, just to add on about the Redsea Skimmer, having used it for sometime now, another problem encountered is the O-ring coming lose. Meaning, the collection cup does not sit firmly onto the skimmer body. However, so far this doesn't pose as a major problem as i've not had water spill out of the skimmer before.

By the way, nice tank you got there wil_lee76. Looks better than my nano which is overgrown with nuisance algae at the moment.

In this forum, we share and learn from each other. Including any good articles or information we found. Does it really matter who done a review? Here is just like another information or lesson centre. If i quote ur name, any things gain? I just cut and paste it to share with bros and sis here. That's my opinion. Hope u dun mind.

If u really angry abt this, sorrie abt that. I forget to quote ur name.

• SRC Member

I don't mind you sharing the review but IMO, i felt that it was just some basic courtesy to at least leave a note saying that it is quoted from elsewhere instead of just copying wholesale and making it seem as though its your own text. Just like if i were to use someone else's article and copy wholesale, i'll leave a link or note behind so others know its not my own work.

Apologies if i've made myself sound a little aggressive with regards to this. :upsidedown:

Just a sidenote here, although its good that your sharing what you know or come across with others here but do be careful when copying stuff from other sites. Other authors may have a copyright on their work and would not take it lightly when others copy their work wholesale and share it without any quotation. So to some, especially those who have a copyright, it can matter who did the article.

• SRC Member

thanks bro! well...great that everyone is here to share news and information.

Thanks guys for providing all the sufficient info...appreciate that much!

• SRC Member
In this forum, we share and learn from each other. Including any good articles or information we found. Does it really matter who done a review? Here is just like another information or lesson centre. If i quote ur name, any things gain? I just cut and paste it to share with bros and sis here. That's my opinion. Hope u dun mind.

If u really angry abt this, sorrie abt that. I forget to quote ur name.

coolz! relax and stay chill! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

I use normal tap water when doing water top-up. I think the water and food are the two main sources of nutrients for the algae growth. Maybe i should follow you and try using distilled water instead to reduce the amount of nutrients entering the water. What brand of distilled water you use?

The problem got quite serious when i went overseas and the fishes were overfed. When i came back, the amount of algae was noticed to be much more as compared to before i left. Now, as compared to that period of time, the algae growth is less dense already but still enough to be an eyesore.

• SRC Member
I use normal tap water when doing water top-up. I think the water and food are the two main sources of nutrients for the algae growth. Maybe i should follow you and try using distilled water instead to reduce the amount of nutrients entering the water. What brand of distilled water you use?

The problem got quite serious when i went overseas and the fishes were overfed. When i came back, the amount of algae was noticed to be much more as compared to before i left. Now, as compared to that period of time, the algae growth is less dense already but still enough to be an eyesore.

ok, im using from NTUC one...I think its called "life" or what...cant rem..cost likewise..not a big sum...having like 2 bottles of 1.5l at about $1..it alright bro, remedy it...by the way, recently did a experiment on overfeeding & running w/o skimmer....really...it realli can caused an increase in NO3...glasses start to have brown algae forming...mmm....maybe really need to monitor the overall feeding... water parameters not checked yet....still have abt a week to 2 for water change!

• SRC Member
Maybe i should try using distilled water to do the top-up to bring the algae growth even more under control, though its somewhat quite slow as compared to previously when i returned from overseas.

give it a try...u wont regret...cos i exp it on my own! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Heard that u using instant seawater now?

yes...now tank not running skimmer for past few months...and havent check water parameters yet.

AS for NSW, its great conviences for small tank like mine.

Now...pending for getting a chiller....maybe get a better ones like ARTICA....but problems arises from connecting the pipings...and arrangement of the whole thing..cos dun wanna get tooo messy....

Thinking of removing the hood and getting a 4 x 27w T5 set....haiz.....

Keep thinking and thinking...

Any bros would like to share some ideas on setting up the chiller and lightings? Cant find a suitable lightset to house the tank....

thanks in advance...

Regs,

Wil

• SRC Member

guys,

am i crzy to get 4 x 24w of lightings?? cos i luv the blue colors effect....

Or should i just stick to the given 27w blue and white light? haiz...headache!

Regs,

Wil

• SRC Member

wow...tired after a day of work...

Some final and careful considerations.....finally make up my mind on these TOY :D

Artica 1/10 Chilller

post-3730-1210257511.jpg

• SRC Member

Really must thanks AM Ah Heng and the uncle... so late still accompany me and sent me and my chiller home....not only that still must obtain the stocks from Jalan Kayu..... my kudos from you guys for that GREAT AWESOME service!!!!! :bow::thanks:

The chiller...look huge while standing next to my tank!

post-3730-1210257725.jpg

• SRC Member

As lightings...opt for these for time begin...

Hopar 2 footer 4 x 24W (normal tubes, cos ATI out of stock!!!)

post-3730-1210257824.jpg

• SRC Member

nowdays the weather is damnz bloody hot and temp cant go down to 26 degree like last time...maintaining around 29-28 degree with fan on with certain timings. Thats why intend to go for this chiller... in fact, was looking for the 1/15 mini artica chiller but was shocked that the size of the chiller...look small and cute, a bit doubt on the cooling part...after hours of staying at AM , finally decided to go for the bigger version...1/10hp...the size ....gosh...great differences... anyone care to share on their mini OR nano artica chiller?

Picture of my small tank and the big chiller

post-3730-1210265761.jpg

• SRC Member

Set the temp similar to my tank temp display.

Chiller kick off at 12.50am - 29.3 degree Cel.

Chiller stop at 1.35am - 26 degree Cel.

Takes about 45 mins to chill down. From 29degree to 26degree

It runs quite smooth and quiet....

post-3730-1210265953.jpg

post-3730-1210265967.jpg

post-3730-1210267993.jpg

post-3730-1210268027.jpg

• SRC Member
wow...tired after a day of work...

Some final and careful considerations.....finally make up my mind on these TOY :D

Artica 1/10 Chilller

Wow you're straight forward man... Not like me thinking of getting chiller den worry of the bills... Anyway do you cut small holes on the hood to feed in the hose???

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
Wow you're straight forward man... Not like me thinking of getting chiller den worry of the bills... Anyway do you cut small holes on the hood to feed in the hose???

dude...im worry abt my bills tooo...but no choice better get a reliable chiller, at least can save a bit $$......

Talking about these, im surprised that the chiller can bring down a degree plus and minus about 15mins....and it takes about am hour to kick start again....is this common? maybe some experts on these can enlightened me....why im saying these, is that previously running a resun chiller in my 3 footer can kick in often and takes longer time to chill off...maybe its the size of the tank and the volume of the tank?

Bro,cutting holes? nah...remove the hood....and just let the hose run from the back of the small tiny sump....now, pending for modification of my hood...still planning... :D

OK, meanwhile....stay put and will upload new FTS.

Stay tuned bro!

Regards,

Wil :D