Nitrate remover...

kareen

• SRC Member

i have heard many good review of sulphur denitrator but u need to monitor the pH.

and right now i am trying mangrove to remove the nitrator totally to zero, hope it will works.

if they grow successfully, will get another 30 to grow in my sump.

pH is nothing.. I drip it directly into my sump without any buffer media.. the flow is so slow the pH is negligible. If you are afraid, just place the output to the skimmer input.. that should raise pH.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

pH is nothing ? i feel that it is just a personal opinion.

for more guide, try

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...rator&st=40

will be better to use coralchips to buffer becos i feel that pH is not nothing as have heard some accidents from other reefers regarding this.

better be safe than sorry.

just my 2cents.anyone trying should read up more.

cheers.

• SRC Member
pH is nothing ? i feel that it is just a personal opinion.

for more guide, try

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...rator&st=40

will be better to use coralchips to buffer becos i feel that pH is not nothing as have heard some accidents from other reefers regarding this.

better be safe than sorry.

just my 2cents.anyone trying should read up more.

cheers.

seriously its nothing.. skimmer, a good flow and probably refugium will always buffer the pH to >8.. so I do not have a problem with pH. If such a low flow equipment can affect pH, would mean your tank water flow should be too low. Oxygen levels might be low thats why. You might want to look into that..

Accidents on a sulphur denitrator is caused by poisoning.. hydrogen sulfide (did I get the name right?) poisoning . Due to negligence in monitoring flow. Esp when the flow stops for a long while, never turn it on into your tank.. always flow it away for a while...not low pH..

Till date have not seen any post on denitrator low pH causing tank to crash. Maybe you can show us the thread.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

chill.believe everyone is just trying to help one another.

this kinda thing is up to u to believe. and for others to decide.

:)

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

• SRC Member

and i only speak of the truth so it's up to u to decide on ur own, i have no reason to fabricate tales at all.

and not everyone will post their tank crash online. and there are many who are more experienced but not even post once in here.even myself only post after many years of reefing.

pH is not nothing becos here we are telling ppl who are not into the same thing as you.

you may experienced nothing but u do admit it produce a low pH.

i merely mention pH should be monitor. and how to monitor depends on the person to decide.

hahaha...

ammonia and nitrite is nothing to someone whose tank is mature.

but it is more than that for a new reefer.

so i will nv ever say pH is nothing becos it does have an effect esp. for ppl who are totally new to sulphur denitrator.

giving answer means responsibility, i dun wanna say pH is nothing then the next day his pH drop like mad just becos of "pH is nothing" and compromise on this aspect. and start cursing the one who gives advice, believe it's rather common in forums.

here we are helping ppl by providing more details and choices and not showing how experience we are by giving them definite answers.

it's up to anyone who is reading to decide whether it is nothing or not.

i wun deny that whatever mention above is false, the flow is slow but Law did recommend monitor as i do.

so do monitor.

:D Cheers.

• SRC Member

I do agree you still got to monitor the pH. pH is however easily fixed by placing the denitrator drip output to your skimmer input.. this way you do not have to bother about pH as you will realise the pH wil stil be relatively same when without it. why the pH is low because of low flow and low oxygen in the denitrator. So you 'reverse' that and pH should be back.

btw People DO post when their denitrator crashed tank due to poisoning. Just never heard of pH too loo cause by denitrator

• SRC Member
I do agree you still got to monitor the pH. pH is however easily fixed by placing the denitrator drip output to your skimmer input.. this way you do not have to bother about pH as you will realise the pH wil stil be relatively same when without it. why the pH is low because of low flow and low oxygen in the denitrator. So you 'reverse' that and pH should be back.

btw People DO post when their denitrator crashed tank due to poisoning. Just never heard of pH too loo cause by denitrator

hahaha...do know that tank crash due to poisoning is common and pH too low is not much reported, guess it could be becos that the effect is not as adverse and immediate to the livestocks as the poisoning but rather it causes stress to livestock and death to more sensitive fishes and corals. There are many who are out there not knowing SRC and some who might frequent but not post. I have met ppl who have many weird incidents and even one who have pH at 7 but still keeping some fishes(hardy ones) and yet not knowing the importance of pH. Know another person who didn't change water at all not becos he doesn't want to but was told by some LFS that u dun have to change water.

There are even more weird accidents and some are not just coming from reefers but some LFS also. many times u will be surprised to know that some rural LFS may not even bother abt all these water parameters.

Not gonna mention any names but by words of mouth, you will know there are a few still going on today.

Cheers. :P

PS: typo

i wun deny that whatever mention above is true(false).

• SRC Member

there's actually lfs who says no need for water change :?.. i wonder how they maintain livestocks at their shop?

• SRC Member

hahaha...shock right ? not fabricating anything but how they maintain their livestock is not a problem becos they sell by batch. one batch sell off then empty, so the livestocks dun stay there for long and only that week. and those unsold, most likely will died off. In fact it's not just one but quite a few in singapore are like that. and sometimes u can see the poor fishes suffering for the week. and the worst is that if there is disease in the water, the fishes all will in turn get them but not all fishes will display the symptoms in short term.

Used to buy fishes from those places, and in the end, all fishes bought there died but other fishes from other places doesn't. So now i rather pay more or twice for a healthy fish.

If u wanna know more abt these shops, u can pm me.

:D

I am using Deltec NFP501 for my RSM and I never change my water for the past 3 months only top up the water only. So far so good, NO3 max 10 ppm when I am doing my weekly test sometime 5 ppm. My denitrator is carbon based, I am using dosing pump to inject diluted vodka 2ml x 4 times/day. So far this is the best investment I have compared to using AZNO3. Before denitrator my tank No3 often shoot beyond the chart (>80 ppm). It makes my life easier now.

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

anyone using aqua medic niitrate deducer? it works using denniballs. i'm running it now. been bout 2 months and slowly kicking in.

how about just putting some seaweed (green ribbon) to grow in the main display tank? i am trying that now, anyone tried before? how well does it work in reducing no3 ?

I am using Deltec NFP501 for my RSM and I never change my water for the past 3 months only top up the water only. So far so good, NO3 max 10 ppm when I am doing my weekly test sometime 5 ppm. My denitrator is carbon based, I am using dosing pump to inject diluted vodka 2ml x 4 times/day. So far this is the best investment I have compared to using AZNO3. Before denitrator my tank No3 often shoot beyond the chart (>80 ppm). It makes my life easier now.

vodka is for drinking, and azno3 can get expensive after a while. i am starting an experiment in growing seaweed in the display area in a bid to reduce no3, logically sound?

• SRC Member

seaweed ? u mean macroalgae ? alot of reefers do that in a refugium or sump.

it works if u provide them light 24/7 and maybe some iron, as some online reports claims it helps to lower chances for it to go sexual.

if it does, u will have a cloudy tank.

Vodka provides carbohydrate for the bacteria. did watch some video on fermenting and they provide sugar for these bacteria so i am using sugar instead of vodka which work as well. :D maybe u can give it a try when ur vodka runs out, or some other soluble carbon source. Supermarket may have some options if u do a bit of research on carbon sources.

maybe u can try barley as it provide a great deal of carbo.

refer to http://www.indiadiets.com/foods/food_nutri...drate_foods.htm

deniballs...shouldn't be a problem just need to adjust the flow so that wun have the rotten egg's smell.

seaweed ? u mean macroalgae ? alot of reefers do that in a refugium or sump.

it works if u provide them light 24/7 and maybe some iron, as some online reports claims it helps to lower chances for it to go sexual.

if it does, u will have a cloudy tank.

not micro algae ... not cheato that is commonly used by the bros here, just your run of the mill wild green ribbon seaweed collected from the sea (beach).

i already introduced a small qty into the display area, so we will know few weeks later how's the outcome. based on the internet reading that i gathered, green ribbon does have a slight chance of going asexual. but it also has the advantage of vegetation growth, and sexual reproduction (read: grows like a weed!!)

i am somewhat unconventional when it comes to setting up of my marine tank.

• SRC Member
not micro algae ... not cheato that is commonly used by the bros here, just your run of the mill wild green ribbon seaweed collected from the sea (beach).

i already introduced a small qty into the display area, so we will know few weeks later how's the outcome. based on the internet reading that i gathered, green ribbon does have a slight chance of going asexual. but it also has the advantage of vegetation growth, and sexual reproduction (read: grows like a weed!!)

You might want to monitor for a period.. microalgae is good but mostly it just works like a supplement only.. unless the refugium is big with lots of cheatos or microalgae. Just like when people mention clams, xenias, gonio absorbs NO3. Yes they do but to what extend? Unless we have a tank bedded with them. In your case, how much seaweed can you put in the main tank? I'm pretty sure even a 10% wouldn't help much.

Anyway, even if the algae/seaweed works, it looks pretty awful in the main tank. :eyeblur:

• SRC Member

Adding a little of sugar to your tank will lower the nitrate.... I have done that and it works for that purpose.... however, I stopped that 'cos I remembered some corals do not respond well... I remembered the nitrate is dropping fast and at the same time, I notice my macro algae dieing... and so started removing them from refugium.... and then certain corals (can't remembered now) do not open well.... I have read that doing this over the long period, only 1 type of bacteria left dominating in tank... not a good thing. So, my conclusion is that this can be done on a short term basis to bring it to a lower level nitrate only... [a word of caution... this method may crash your tank when there is insufficient oxygen due to the rapid bacteria growth. Monitor closely when doing it]

Adding plants... I feel is that somehow due to the amount of space given, it could not keep up with the level nitrate produced in our tank.... Maybe others have succeed but not for my case.

I have been toying with an idea after reading about Ah lim posting here...

My idea is to have a COVERED bucket of dsb placed in sump with probably 2 holes drilled at the side. This is to allow tank water to enter this container from the side. I think debris will have less chance of settling when water is entered from the side and at the same time, doing the lowing of the nitrate, passively for us. I think if there is any nitratification going on in the dsb bucket, nitrate will be reduced without any additional cost of running pumps...

Will this work? Appreciate greatly inputs or experiences encountered by reefers...

:) Greeting :)

Tank: 4' by 2' by 2' (CR antique)

Sump: 3' include 1' refuigm

• SRC Member

BTW, sugar is carbon as well.... ;)

• SRC Member

If i remember correctly, green ribbon seaweed might need a bit iron to grow, u may wish to add chelated iron, I kind of forgets.

Anyway, good try ! Really apperciate your contribution ! At least we have something new.

Just like when people started using mangrove.

I feel that, in reefing, we should always try new things, share knowledge, no matter its right or wrong, just to have an active discussion.

:)

• SRC Member
Kareen, are you able to perform a large water change for now?

Just to see how much nitrate can be lowered.

secondly, have you tried using the AZ NO3 ? Heard fellow reefers trying, having gd effect.

That's the method I am doing now. I have tried AZ NO3 too with similar effect as using sugar method :)

BTW, this is a picture of the dsb I have in mind..... I wonder anyone tried it before...

post-2911-1208242623.jpg

• SRC Member

very very very risky is what i can say from the picture. i have try using something similar to this before. and your water is only passing thru from the top.even if it's entering at a low rate,for the water to flow all the water to the bottom of the DSB will take a long time and to have it so deep will take a great deal of time. or the water exchange will be very slow but it might get too slow in a long run.

and this can cause formation of toxic gas. i have tried something like this similar before in the past and the result is formation of toxic gas and my dsb becomes black at those portion.

if u really wanna use this method, make the output at the bottom. u can try. the theory is same as denitrator.

haha..the sugar method.nv try before. think it could be because u are promoting too much anaerobic bacteria growth could be becos that these anaerobic bacteria in ur liverocks or tank get too much carbo. and starts to multiple greatly. overpopulation of them causing a slide in the ecosystem.

and when they use up the carbo, they will start dying. and may caused a spike in no2 and ammonia.

just what i tot theoretically.

Cheers.

• SRC Member
very very very risky is what i can say from the picture. i have try using something similar to this before. and your water is only passing thru from the top.even if it's entering at a low rate,for the water to flow all the water to the bottom of the DSB will take a long time and to have it so deep will take a great deal of time. or the water exchange will be very slow but it might get too slow in a long run.

and this can cause formation of toxic gas. i have tried something like this similar before in the past and the result is formation of toxic gas and my dsb becomes black at those portion.

if u really wanna use this method, make the output at the bottom. u can try. the theory is same as denitrator.

haha..the sugar method.nv try before. think it could be because u are promoting too much anaerobic bacteria growth could be becos that these anaerobic bacteria in ur liverocks or tank get too much carbo. and starts to multiple greatly. overpopulation of them causing a slide in the ecosystem.

and when they use up the carbo, they will start dying. and may caused a spike in no2 and ammonia.

just what i tot theoretically.

Cheers.

Well, I don't know whether it work or not but at least I know for sure it will not end up the way u say 'cos the bucket can be removed without disturbing the display tank. I do have intention to get it done some time later when I'm more free.... at the meantime, hope to hear more voices.... :)