peacemaker's office nano 2

peacemaker

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi peacemaker, I thought your 1st tank was already the top, but now, this tank is even better!

I like your very clean tank! Will keep following this thread, so please don't stop the updates.

One question though, you attached the wavemaker to the return?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member
Hi peacemaker, I thought your 1st tank was already the top, but now, this tank is even better!

I like your very clean tank! Will keep following this thread, so please don't stop the updates.

One question though, you attached the wavemaker to the return?

Haha... my tank is far from being the top... there is so much to learn from the old timers here. I attribute the cleanliness of the tank to the work of the chaeto. It was horrible before I added it in, infested with algae. <_<

That's a hydor flo deflector. It works like a windmill: when the water is pumped back into the main display, it goes through it and the gears rotate, thus giving random flow. It is hydraulic, so no electricity required. :whistle

• SRC Member

I'm very interested to see whats going on behind your tank. The 'sump' compartment that is. Any chance you can take a few pics of it?

This thread is my inspiration because I have almost the same tank plans as you. Hope you don't mind. :eyebrow:

One suggestion, maybe you can stick a layer of black electric tape at the brim of the tank to hide the water line?

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

I went back to the office and did some maintenance today... there was a lot of crap at the filter compartment, so I removed all the bio homme, siphoned the mess and sucked out the dirt (industrial vacuum cleaners come in handy :eyebrow: ). I gave the bio homme a gentle rinse with a bucket of fresh salt water mix before putting it back in. Now its nice and clean! Quite happy with the accomplishment. :D

I also did a thorough cleaning of the whole skimmer and both pumps (skimmer & return). They are running at highest efficiency like when I first bought them. ^_^ See how good periodic maintenance does to your equipment!

I bought 2 small flame gobies and 1 diagonal bar prawn goby. Unfortunately, after releasing them in the tank, I spotted one nuisance crab hiding in the rocks. I wanted to catch it, but as soon as I moved the corals, that fella ran away... I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't harm my gobies. :pinch:

• SRC Member
I'm very interested to see whats going on behind your tank. The 'sump' compartment that is. Any chance you can take a few pics of it?

This thread is my inspiration because I have almost the same tank plans as you. Hope you don't mind. :eyebrow:

One suggestion, maybe you can stick a layer of black electric tape at the brim of the tank to hide the water line?

Thank you for your kind words! There's nothing much to show for the filter compartment though... pretty much the same as my previous tank. Left side for the mechanical and bio filtration, right side for the skimmer & return pump, and a bunch of chaeto in a basket. I just trimmed a little today due to some parts starting to turn white. I'm not sure why is this happening, but looking at the other thread on this topic, it shouldn't be anything serious. Maybe its just too much light (I keep it switched on 24/7).

Yeah... I like the suggestion of adding the black tape... I'll look for something nice and decent, a proper tape from the LFS. :thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi peacemaker,

With regards to the cheato turning white, is the cheato of yours exposed to air in the basket? Is the compartment that the cheato lies in having stagnant water? Cheato requires flowing water passing thru it. Your lightings should not pose a problem to cheato.

Cheers,

bgrking

• SRC Member
Hi peacemaker,

With regards to the cheato turning white, is the cheato of yours exposed to air in the basket? Is the compartment that the cheato lies in having stagnant water? Cheato requires flowing water passing thru it. Your lightings should not pose a problem to cheato.

Cheers,

bgrking

I don't think its exposed to air, but it sure is stagnant in that compartment. I'll add a powerhead for the flow. Thanks for the tip, Bro bgrking! ^_^

• SRC Member

Hi peacemaker! Thanks for the pics!

You may not know, but the pics really give me lots of info as I'm also planning a setup similar to yours.

Your dymax skimmer really looks good, and skimming quite well. Mind if I know how much you got it for? As for your 'sump', looks really tight in there, cant figure out how you managed to squeeze in the chateo also.

Keep up with the updates!

• SRC Member
very very nice tank! Thanks for sharing bro. :thanks: Really appreciate your advice over PM.

Hey! Thanks! :paiseh: Nothing much, really. Keeping SPS in a nano tank would really up the bar quite a bit. Hope to see you get the type of tank you want and start posting your own tank thread here! :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Hi peacemaker! Thanks for the pics!

You may not know, but the pics really give me lots of info as I'm also planning a setup similar to yours.

Your dymax skimmer really looks good, and skimming quite well. Mind if I know how much you got it for? As for your 'sump', looks really tight in there, cant figure out how you managed to squeeze in the chateo also.

Keep up with the updates!

Haha... making full use of whatever space I have in there! I added the smallest power head I have to circulate the flow to keep the chaeto growing fine. Have not monitored it yet, will keep you guys posted.

I got the Dymax skimmer from one of the reefers here. Saw it at work in his 4 Ft FOWLR tank before getting it from him. Just require a little fine tuning, and it goes to work!

Likewise, I do wish you all the best in your tank setup as well, and hope to see you post your tank thread too!

• SRC Member

Hi peacemaker,

You can purchase empty shells from any flower shops. You can introduce empty shells into your tank to prevent future attacks :)

How's your cheato been progressing now? With added flow it should thrive :)

Cheers,

bgrking

• SRC Member
Hi peacemaker,

You can purchase empty shells from any flower shops. You can introduce empty shells into your tank to prevent future attacks :)

Cheers,

bgrking

Yes, I was looking at AM (JK) today, but they do not have any in stock. Ah Beng's have very nice huge shells, but of course, comes with the "house" owner... <_<

I have yet to check on the progress of the chaeto, would most likely take a look tmr (office tank mah). :whistle

I was wondering... is there such a thing as being too cold a tank? With the fan and air-con on, the temperature goes to 23 deg C. Everything in my display seems to be doing fine though...

• SRC Member

I did a check on my chaeto today, and it has pretty much recovered. Most of the portion that was trimmed off has grown back, green and fluffy. :yeah: However, it is still in a rather cramped place with the basket limiting its growth. Need to remove some once in awhile.

• SRC Member

Bought a few rics from Irwana's recent shipment... quite poor at sticking them to the rocks, so used quite a bit of rock bonder. Looks a little untidy right now... hope the rics grow big enough to cover the mess. The orange one at the bottom left is my old ric recovering from bleaching.

post-13914-1208870578.jpg

post-13914-1208870590.jpg