Papaya's new venture

papaya

i think his return is running a pathetic Aqua bee 7000 pump which cannot make it at all ..

it cannot take any height

I don't really understand why Aquabee 7000 is a pathetic pump. I can see from your signature that you are using iwaki ? Maybe you can post your tank pic here.

My tank got the same height as the one in their show room which is using Aquabee 7000 too.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you are sharp. That was my old pump which I requested to use back, Steve did suggest hydor initially but he can change for me anytime later. Is it bad? I do not mind to change.

I don't want to say bad thing, this pump is only $15 the price will never lie (especially after I got zapped one time when I am making fresh salt water for partial water change then I just chuck it to the bin)

RED SEA MAX - BLACK, JBJ ARCTICA DBA-075, HYDOR PRIME 30, VORTECH MP10

The tank in their show room? That is mostly sps, and with your current setup, the flow is definitely not enough. The return pump flow rate seems ok, 7000l/hr? but the brand i not sure as they have weak impeller. Maybe you can try red dragon or aquamedic.

Rule of thump, not more than 3/4 bends provided bigger and reputable pumps are used.

Anyway, dont worry about mistakes, many owners have designed tanks and optimistic at first but later found out that it is not what they want and they missed out alot of things and the 'it should be' questions. Just make amend if possible when your tank is in operation.

Good luck.....

Red dragon? sound chinese to me at first. Not a problem steve is selling it too, will keep this in mind if Aquabee breaks down.

Its not so much about worrying about mistake, just like to share and enjoy the hobby.

Your tank is 5ft is quite big but as compared to your house... :)

What protein skimmer you are going to use? where you placing it? if under the cabinet i doubt it will be a powerful one.

What corals you intend to keep? If keeping LPS then the tunzes seems too strong i suppose. If keeping SPS, then depends on what species. If keeping a mixed reef (Most difficult IMO), well i am still mastering it, so i cant advise.

What do size you think can suit better to my house?

Protein skimmer will be Skimz sidea M200, it got to be under the cabinet. its using Aquabee up5000 pin wheel, you think still not enough?

The showroom is having 50% sps and 50% lps. Anything will do for me as long as colour ful and look like natural reef.

You are humble, I heard you are master of sps before. I should learn more from you, and I really thank you for your kind advice.

• SRC Member

Protein skimmer will be Skimz sidea M200, it got to be under the cabinet. its using Aquabee up5000 pin wheel, you think still not enough?

The showroom is having 50% sps and 50% lps. Anything will do for me as long as colour ful and look like natural reef.

You are humble, I heard you are master of sps before. I should learn more from you, and I really thank you for your kind advice.

In your opinion, how do you find their LPS? i do not know cause i have not been there for a long time.

I am not master of sps. just sharing with a few of my kaki with a cup of coffee every week to learn new discoveries that never mentioned from the reef forums but through experience and sometimes trial and errors. We all learn from each other.

Just curious Qs for Bro papaya, why not choosing Grotech products instead their in house product?

I will be using Grotech easy mix salt and corall A B C in my aquatronica dosing pump later. Unless you are talking about equipment. I like the whitish look of skimz sidea.

Deltec also can...:) but i think return pump is like a heart of the body.. free maintenance and durable is most important.

I like to play with equipments so I did a quick search to have a brief basic understanding where they come from. But equipment to reef I am very new, do correct me if I am wrong. Does Deltec produce pumps? Arent they are only protein skimmer manufacturer?

• SRC Member
I like to play with equipments so I did a quick search to have a brief basic understanding where they come from. But equipment to reef I am very new, do correct me if I am wrong. Does Deltec produce pumps? Arent they are only protein skimmer manufacturer?

Do a search on deltec marine. they have plenty of top range equipment and expensive. your protein skimmer i cannot comment much, cause i never heard of it before. skimz? from which country? they famous on protein skimmer? what i do know those top range product for needle wheel is bubble king and deltec. As for the rest, i never really study them. But most of my kakis use local made DIY becket skimmers with pressure rated pumps like iwaki.

Do a search on deltec marine. they have plenty of top range equipment and expensive. your protein skimmer i cannot comment much, cause i never heard of it before. skimz? from which country? they famous on protein skimmer? what i do know those top range product for needle wheel is bubble king and deltec. As for the rest, i never really study them. But most of my kakis use local made DIY becket skimmers with pressure rated pumps like iwaki.

Skimz is in-house brand from AM.

I will be using Grotech easy mix salt and corall A B C in my aquatronica dosing pump later. Unless you are talking about equipment. I like the whitish look of skimz sidea.

I meant your main equipment like skimmer, light (photon series), & calcium reactor.

• SRC Member

impressive tankset in a very impressive house.. :ooh:

definitely a good one in the making..

i'm currently using beckette for my total 6ft setup, no complains, skims like a monster.. however, deltec would be a good choice to go for if budget is not an issue..

cheers, my 2cents.. :)

wow bro papaya your setup is quite something...your house something to wow about too.. :wub:

With guidance from many experienced reefers you are in good hands.

However some information posted have to be taken with a pitch of salt.

Seniority is not equals to all mighty truth, some didn't even try out the local made before commenting.

I thought i saw quite a number of posts about some senior reefer having problem with the BK skimmers and pump somewhere. Maybe i'm wrong. :whistle

As for Deltecs there is something funny about this brand, since it is made in German how come there is not much / nothing mentioned in German sites?

Just thinking out loud. Hope you enjoy this hobby and please let us know on the in house brand. Lets see if they are really that 'Bad' as commented.

Regards

Rod

• SRC Member
wow bro papaya your setup is quite something...your house something to wow about too.. :wub:

With guidance from many experienced reefers you are in good hands.

However some information posted have to be taken with a pitch of salt.

Seniority is not equals to all mighty truth, some didn't even try out the local made before commenting.

I thought i saw quite a number of posts about some senior reefer having problem with the BK skimmers and pump somewhere. Maybe i'm wrong. :whistle

As for Deltecs there is something funny about this brand, since it is made in German how come there is not much / nothing mentioned in German sites?

Just thinking out loud. Hope you enjoy this hobby and please let us know on the in house brand. Lets see if they are really that 'Bad' as commented.

Regards

Rod

Good quote... Not all products are good and good products doesnt mean is in good hands sometimes. Even with local diy made brands people can do wonders to their tank. Even good products are not totally invulerable. As for deltec not much mentioned? frog living in a well will never see the ocean, can he?

Perhaps if you can post your tank (if you have one? even historical will do) it would prove your seniority on almighty!!! :whistle

:peace:

• SRC Member

great potential tank in the make. and ur tank is in good hands.

actually, and i like your house. :lol:

nice house with those shimmering color changing lights!

and a warm welcome to you to this forum. happy reefing mate. hope you have a pleasent experience here.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

First things first ... do u understand the needs for SPS corals since u are eyeing a setup of livestock similar to AM's display tank? Its not just about having good equipment, u need to learn about the bio n complex chemical balance needed to sustain a home reef, expecially for SPS corals. I'm not trying to pour a wet blanket over u bro but over the years of reefing i have always encountered so many ppl who spend lots on a nice setup plus equipment but in the end giving up the hobby cos they could not achieve the desired results nor did they forsee the costs in sustaining one. U only have to look at the number of decoms in the 'Sell off/Pasar Malam Shop' section. Getting advice from Steve of cos is good but he cant be there for ya 24/7 nor can he be 100% right bout everything. No reefers will tell u they know everything about reefing cos its always an ongoing process.

I cut the crap short, go do more readups on SPS corals n their needs. Then only should u decide on what equipment u need, what u doing now is ppl tell u change what u change what ... but why need to change u dunno. How it will effect the SPS corals u also dunno .... get my drift? I would start by learning about the chemical balance much needed in reefs if i were u, its the number 1 factor on a successful reef at home be it for sps or lps corals. I can provide u with the links to the various info u need if u r interested, no strings attached just pm me.

• SRC Member
Red dragon? sound chinese to me at first. Not a problem steve is selling it too, will keep this in mind if Aquabee breaks down.

Its not so much about worrying about mistake, just like to share and enjoy the hobby.

Red Dragon is German la....very good pump, extremely high return for its power consumption....i have the aquabee before and now using the red dragon, personally, i don't think the bee is anyway near the league of the dragon.....:D :D :D

• SRC Member

hahaha....he stays in a flat (big one), and he keeps a 6 footer.....that is why by comparison your is tiny......

i think for a big tank, you need big processing capacity. it might be using a up5000 pump but because of its design, the impeller is changed to a needlewheel (hummm...can anyone confirm that aquabee themself product needlewheel impeller or it is a modified from the pump?) so don't be surprise that the volume of water passing through it is very little....not sure about the model of the skimmer, but if it fits under a cabinet, i don't think its capacity is high....:P

he definately the master..... :bow: :bow: :bow:

• SRC Member
hahaha....he stays in a flat (big one), and he keeps a 6 footer.....that is why by comparison your is tiny......

i think for a big tank, you need big processing capacity. it might be using a up5000 pump but because of its design, the impeller is changed to a needlewheel (hummm...can anyone confirm that aquabee themself product needlewheel impeller or it is a modified from the pump?) so don't be surprise that the volume of water passing through it is very little....not sure about the model of the skimmer, but if it fits under a cabinet, i don't think its capacity is high....:P

he definately the master..... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bro, we all learn from each others... lots of masters in hiding. :eyebrow:

• SRC Member
Bro, we all learn from each others... lots of masters in hiding. :eyebrow:

You two masters pointing at each other.. :whistle:rolleyes: ...

papaya, there are many reefer used more established brand like Hydor and Grotech from AM..at least it has proven itself (PROs or CONs)..you can ask around..You are getting a piece of equipment to do "dirty" job, there is a reason why trash bag are normally black....dun go by color as fashion.. :peace: