Troublesome Marine Fish

finntequila

Hi all,

I've a trouble making fish in my tank, it's a black and white damsel. This idiot of mine has been attacking my fishes, victims are,

1 x brown tang

2 x blue tang

1 x emperor angel

1 x blue face angel

all dead!!

Please help, how can i catch it?

*PS: Lots of cavities in my tank, cant jus catch it using the net. if there any trap available? if yes, where can i get it?*

• SRC Member
Hi all,

I've a trouble making fish in my tank, it's a black and white damsel. This idiot of mine has been attacking my fishes, victims are,

1 x brown tang

2 x blue tang

1 x emperor angel

1 x blue face angel

all dead!!

Please help, how can i catch it?

*PS: Lots of cavities in my tank, cant jus catch it using the net. if there any trap available? if yes, where can i get it?*

I think u mean domino damsels. I manage to catch all my damsels by using Henry's method.

1) put a betta tank (those $2 plastic tank for guppies) in the bottom of the tank. (Place a rock in it so it will sink down and look more natural)

2) place a small mirror in the betta tank.

3) start feeding by placing food in the betta tank ( For me i use frozen food so i float it inside the betta tank )

4) Keep on feeding "in the tank" then the fish will find it natural to eat from inside.

5) After a week of procedure, get a long tongs and ready to cover the betta tank once the DAMMsels got in EATing .. then there u go... catch them without rescaping.

Works for me, caught my nigger, clown trigger, domino and tangs...

1154750779_a95e183733_o.gif

--Tank--

3.8ft x 2.5ft x 2.5ft - 12mm(Main) Ñ„ 3ft x 2ft x 2ft - 8mm (Sump)

--Equipments--

Chiller - 3/4hp Pacific Coo Ñ„ FR - Resun FR Ñ„ Skimmer - ATI Bubble Master 250 - Reef Maniac 30" Beckeet Ñ„ Filter - Schuran Trickle filter Ñ„ Controllers - Aquatronica Advance Controller System

--Pumps--

Return Pump - Rio 24 HF Ñ„ Beckeet Pump - Resun MD55 Ñ„ Equipment Pump - Aquabee 3000 Ñ„ Wavemaker - Tunze 6060, 2 x Seio 1500

That fish is a menace :evil: He took down my Fav lionfish! It took me 2 hours to catch him :angry: . Theres only one way to catch damsels. Remove 50% of your Decor/Rocks.

Good luck! Peace :peace: .

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member
That fish is a menace :evil: He took down my Fav lionfish! It took me 2 hours to catch him :angry: . Theres only one way to catch damsels. Remove 50% of your Decor/Rocks.

Good luck! Peace :peace: .

A damsel taking down your lionfish...? :blink: Is that even possible? How big are both fishes when it happened?

There is such a thing as a fish trap, available in some FW LFS (Tiong Bahru) and very few SW LFS (Pasir Ris across from Ah Beng). They come in single or double chamber. The 2 ends have a sliding trap door, but has to be closed manually when the fish swims in for food. Price is $16 onwards. I managed to catch most of my Damsels, but not all. Not sure if your black and white damsel (3 stripes?) will fall into the trap.

I can lend you one if you're near Tiong Bahru/Vivo City.

• SRC Member

don't think that u need to sink the betabox all the way if your fishes will come out during feeding.

try tying a string to the door oft the betabox.

then pull it up to open and use ur magnet cleaner to hold it.

stop feeding for one day.

then feed the other day at the entrance of the box, u will be surprised that all ur fishes will chiong into it.

it will work very well if ur fishes are already feeding on pellets and coming out actively.

those reefers, whose tank has many hiding places and fishes don't come out during feeding, or not feeding pellets and extremely finicky-eater, will need to sink it down and place the frozen food for some days to the trap to work.

it will be best to practise hand feeding from the start, feed the fishes by placing ur hand into the tank.

this will help in catching any of them later as they will be more daring during feeding.

hand feeding is enjoyable too. :D except for poisonous fishes...hehehe...:P

cheers. all the best. :D

. X-Nature . Something Xtravagant for everyone .

links:
our website: http://www.xnature.net.tc
sgreef forum: http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=83

Providing premium delicacies for marine fishes and corals.

This is how i trap my candy hog.

post-13920-1209055295.jpg

> Use the above trap, put in 2 mirrors (one on the base, the other on the left (standing).

> You do not really need to sink it to the bottom of the tank, somewhere middle/top will do... wherever your fish finds food.

> Tie a piece of LR (with fishing line) at the bottom end of the trap door (to act as a weight), stop it from dropping by inserting a toothpick at the top of the trap door when you open it...

> consistently throw in food from the top of the trap.

> within a few days, the fish will automatically swim in and out to feed.

> once the fish gets used to it's own image, it'll stay there for quite a long time. (this could range from a few mins to 1 month)... depending on how 'smart' your fish is...

> when the fish is perpetually in the trap, this is when you can remove the toothpick stopper, the trap door drop down (by gravitational pull of the LR that is tied to the bottom).

> Tada...

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

A damsel taking down your lionfish...? :blink: Is that even possible? How big are both fishes when it happened?

It tore the fins apart! No idea how it did. End up stress then up the lori :angel: .

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

There is such a thing as a fish trap, available in some FW LFS (Tiong Bahru) and very few SW LFS (Pasir Ris across from Ah Beng). They come in single or double chamber. The 2 ends have a sliding trap door, but has to be closed manually when the fish swims in for food. Price is $16 onwards. I managed to catch most of my Damsels, but not all. Not sure if your black and white damsel (3 stripes?) will fall into the trap.

I can lend you one if you're near Tiong Bahru/Vivo City.

great thx, i'll go find..the betta tank method doesnt seem to work