Is fire-fish a over paranoid fish?

• SRC Member

I've bought a fire-fish yesterday. When i released it into my tank, it keep swimming on the top surface like it wanted to jump out. One day has passed. It has settle down, started to eat, and found a hole as it's home. But today i went to get a percula clown, fire-fish started the same behaviour like yesterday. But the fire-fish is still feeding. I'm afraid that it might jump up and cover my tank with a plastic lid.

So does fire-fish easily get stressed? But to my surprise on the other hand, my percular clown is doing exceptionally gd, the moment i released it into the tank, tries to feed it, eating like a pig. Must have starved for very long.

:thanks:

pico pico pico.

• SRC Member

The fire fish is like that - very nervous - finds security in caves/holes in your liverock. You better cover your tank as firefish are known to be excellent jumpers! they will commit sucide by jumping out of the tank.

• SRC Member
The fire fish is like that - very nervous - finds security in caves/holes in your liverock. You better cover your tank as firefish are known to be excellent jumpers! they will commit sucide by jumping out of the tank.

fire fish have a quiet temperment. better to keep in nano tank with friendly tank mates. otherwise, they will kena bully and once scare will hide in hole and never come out again :(

• SRC Member

Try your best to get rid of all nuisance crabs, mantis shrimp, etc that could be hitchhiking in your live rocks. Quite a few of my firefishes were attacked and died when they were hiding in the rock work. After I caught a crab and a mantis shrimp, I added a new pair of purple firefish, and they have been living happily ever since.

• 8 years later...
  • 2 months later...