Aquabee 3k via 1/3 hp artica chiller

MAG

• SRC Member

Good Day,

Currently im using aquabee 3k to feed my chiller but via 2x 36v uv.(6x2x2 fts lps tank) The sequence of h20 movement:

aquabee 3k via 2x 36v uv via chiller via external refugium than back to sump.

i understand fr my tank maker aquabee 3k is sufficient for the chiller but

Question:will such set up advisable in term of maximise chiller performance?

Question:will it be advisable to increase the flow rate eg up returm pump to 5k instead?

Question:if flow rate too fast thru chiller will it affect the chilling process?

Noticed my chiller kicks in very often nowaday(preset to 28'c)

Thx and have nice day

Good Day to you,

This is really technical. As a layman, i will see what is the recommended flow rate for your equipment. As the pump pumps through so many devices, the strenght might be reduced. I am not good in doing computation and if you need help, you can acquire or borrow from someone a flow rate device to test.

The flow rate will affect your equipment performance. For chiller, too slow, it is not efficient and too fast, it will not be effective. Similarly, for UV.

Should there be a range for the flow rate, get one that meets all. If not, must get senior reefers to advice. Hope this help. Thanks.

Good Day,

Currently im using aquabee 3k to feed my chiller but via 2x 36v uv.(6x2x2 fts lps tank) The sequence of h20 movement:

aquabee 3k via 2x 36v uv via chiller via external refugium than back to sump.

i understand fr my tank maker aquabee 3k is sufficient for the chiller but

Question:will such set up advisable in term of maximise chiller performance?

Question:will it be advisable to increase the flow rate eg up returm pump to 5k instead?

Question:if flow rate too fast thru chiller will it affect the chilling process?

Noticed my chiller kicks in very often nowaday(preset to 28'c)

Thx and have nice day

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

err...if water after running thr chiller passes thr other devices which emit heat.. water will be heat up....maybe you can monitor your tank temperature vs your chiller to ensure they are consistence. If they vary and huge lag, maybe you need to re-design the follow or seek advice from senior reefer. : )

Good Day to you,

This is really technical. As a layman, i will see what is the recommended flow rate for your equipment. As the pump pumps through so many devices, the strenght might be reduced. I am not good in doing computation and if you need help, you can acquire or borrow from someone a flow rate device to test.

The flow rate will affect your equipment performance. For chiller, too slow, it is not efficient and too fast, it will not be effective. Similarly, for UV.

Should there be a range for the flow rate, get one that meets all. If not, must get senior reefers to advice. Hope this help. Thanks.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
err...if water after running thr chiller passes thr other devices which emit heat.. water will be heat up....maybe you can monitor your tank temperature vs your chiller to ensure they are consistence. If they vary and huge lag, maybe you need to re-design the follow or seek advice from senior reefer. : )

hi. well thx for the reply. will consult more expert on this issue.

My 2 cents

I assume ur flow is sump -> UV -> chiller -> refugium -> sump?

If you are talking about the flowrate, UV may restrict flowrate. Best to use gravity to flow into UV/refugium -> sump. Less pump, less heat buildup.

One of the best setup to reduce loss in flowrate

sump -> chiller -> tank

1 more reason why ur chiller kick in often nowsaday is the heat wave. It is very hot now, so water get warmed up faster than in cool weather.

Btw, chiller hv fixed performance. Too fast rate may result in inefficient heat exchange. Too slow, juz wasting electricity.

• SRC Member
My 2 cents

I assume ur flow is sump -> UV -> chiller -> refugium -> sump?

If you are talking about the flowrate, UV may restrict flowrate. Best to use gravity to flow into UV/refugium -> sump. Less pump, less heat buildup.

One of the best setup to reduce loss in flowrate

sump -> chiller -> tank

1 more reason why ur chiller kick in often nowsaday is the heat wave. It is very hot now, so water get warmed up faster than in cool weather.

Btw, chiller hv fixed performance. Too fast rate may result in inefficient heat exchange. Too slow, juz wasting electricity.

PErsonally IMO, i do agree to what bro deity had said. Its best to separate the UV & chiller pump. Personally, i used a smaller flow rate for my UV and as for my chiller, i will connect from sump - Chillier - return back to main tank. And personally, i don't on my UV too often resulting in filtering the good and bad bacteria.

Weather nowadays hot lah...so its common for chiller to kick in more often to attain your desired temp. & if time allowed, you can jot down the frequency of your kick in during day, night and even hot or normal weather. Last time, i used to shift around my system to get the best results.

hope these helps! :D

• SRC Member
PErsonally IMO, i do agree to what bro deity had said. Its best to separate the UV & chiller pump. Personally, i used a smaller flow rate for my UV and as for my chiller, i will connect from sump - Chillier - return back to main tank. And personally, i don't on my UV too often resulting in filtering the good and bad bacteria.

Weather nowadays hot lah...so its common for chiller to kick in more often to attain your desired temp. & if time allowed, you can jot down the frequency of your kick in during day, night and even hot or normal weather. Last time, i used to shift around my system to get the best results.

hope these helps! :D

hi wil_lee and deity.

sorry for late reply. thx for sharing. ill look into various option to tackle this problem. one thing for sure that nobody can chg-hot weather.

my no 1 priority now is tackle red slime algae in my tank-never ending problem......

• SRC Member
hi wil_lee and deity.

sorry for late reply. thx for sharing. ill look into various option to tackle this problem. one thing for sure that nobody can chg-hot weather.

my no 1 priority now is tackle red slime algae in my tank-never ending problem......

bro, how ur water parameters? Since u started so long ...tank should be stable enuff...unless, Ur tank is overcrowded with tons of fishes??