Burnt My fingers Again

• SRC Member

Hi guys!

Bought a yellow tang 2 weeks ago!

Since they are more pron to white spots, i planned to quarantine for 2 weeks...

Only problem is my quarantine tank is small (about 6 gallons.)

Anyway during the period it kept getting white spots now & then, even partial changing water didnt help cause that also cause change in parameters cause more white spots.

Dosed some malachite green

Anyway after 2 weeks, the white spots were still there & i had to make a dicision to put in the main tank or not, cause the main tank the water is much better...

Anyway i put it in the main tank exposing risking even the existing fishes in the main tank...

Tang was ok for a day , but died on the 2 day with visible white spots on its gills ...

My question is is it worth to quaranatine!

(sorry bit upset... posed in wrong place)

Hi guys!

Bought a yellow tang 2 weeks ago!

Since they are more pron to white spots, i planned to quarantine for 2 weeks...

Only problem is my quarantine tank is small (about 6 gallons.)

Anyway during the period it kept getting white spots now & then, even partial changing water didnt help cause that also cause change in parameters cause more white spots.

Dosed some malachite green

Anyway after 2 weeks, the white spots were still there & i had to make a dicision to put in the main tank or not, cause the main tank the water is much better...

Anyway i put it in the main tank exposing risking even the existing fishes in the main tank...

Tang was ok for a day , but died on the 2 day with visible white spots on its gills ...

My question is is it worth to quaranatine!

(sorry bit upset... posed in wrong place)

You post this in the wrong place.

Looks like your quarantine tank is probably too small for the fish. I normally use basket (big enough) with holes (in main tank) and train the fish to feed before I let it swim into the main tanks. It works. Yellow tank is easy to train. Give them sea weeds. they will feed by 2nd day. Switch off tank light before you introduce fish into basket.

• SRC Member

Moderator: Maybe can help to transfer to the correct section.

l have learnt from mistake. Just to share...

It never goes wrong to buy pellet feeding specimen from reputable shops that have already quarantine the fish. You have to pay a bit more for those but it's all worth it. Just consider the higher risk of it dying, losing every dollar you paid and also spreading of parasites into the main tank from those newly arrived fishes without quarantine.

• SRC Member

tip: for me.. i only get my fishes from reefers.. cos they are stable n "quarantined".. hahaha :>

Quarantine does help but prior to that, quality and condition of the fish are equally important. As highlighted by snr reefers, buying those fishes that just touched down will pose high risk but then, you get to choose the best and can only rely on post purchase procedure to increase the chance of survival.

Upon purchase, the journey back home and quarantine process plays important part. There are many ways and doubt there is one way that works for all...everyone will experience different ways in acclimatising the fish. Do a search and choose a method which u find is more convincing and confident in carrying out(might be restricted by equipment or setup).

If you have gave your best, the only thing left is to pray hard. You never know from the look whether the fish has "terminal" illness or lose its will to live on or got into depression due to stress(lol). Hence, dont take it too hard(personally, gone thr many times.....sighz....)

For me, i setup a small QT tank but didnt really have the mean to match my main tank parameter(no chiller, etc). Set a lot of rocks with hiding holes and kept peaceful fishes and inverts(only terror is the banded shrimp and velvet damsel which i cant bear to part...). I will put the fish in the QT and cover the tank. I will also choose a fat and big fish so that it cannot stand hunger and wont be bully by my damsel....observed a few fishes that they will hide for a few days and later, they will pop out and learn from other fishes to mix and learn from other fishes to eat. Some chasing will occur but as long as it is not fierce type, it is fine. If my damsel turns aggressive, i will catch it out and put in a betta box.....it will serve as a warning to other fishes..hopefully....lol...

anyway, i am sharing my experience and may not be the correct way. Hence, please just take it as reference....hopefully snr reefers can provide more valuable experience.

Dont be dishearted.....for me....i am facing problem keeping clown....except maroon clown....so me just wait for months before making another attempt......For yellow tang, once they pass the acclimatising stage, they will be hardy....

All the best. : )

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
You post this in the wrong place.

Looks like your quarantine tank is probably too small for the fish. I normally use basket (big enough) with holes (in main tank) and train the fish to feed before I let it swim into the main tanks. It works. Yellow tank is easy to train. Give them sea weeds. they will feed by 2nd day. Switch off tank light before you introduce fish into basket.

Using a basket in the main tank is a good idea, even tho its not totally a quarantine, cause all fishes are swimming in the same water...

Just wondering where do u get such big baskets from...& how big a basket would you required to keep a yellow tang?

Using a basket in the main tank is a good idea, even tho its not totally a quarantine, cause all fishes are swimming in the same water...

Just wondering where do u get such big baskets from...& how big a basket would you required to keep a yellow tang?

You can buy those baskets from Daiso or nearby shop in HDB. Make sure it got lots of holes to allow water to flow through. Three times the size of your fish. If you are getting two yellow tangs, you need much bigger one say at least 10 times their size to avoid them fighting. I tried this many years ago with two yellow tangs and put dry seaweeds floating on top water. After one to two days, they feed. Make sure you off all lights before putting them into the basket. The basket technique works with many kinds of fish from experience.

• SRC Member
You can buy those baskets from Daiso or nearby shop in HDB. Make sure it got lots of holes to allow water to flow through. Three times the size of your fish. If you are getting two yellow tangs, you need much bigger one say at least 10 times their size to avoid them fighting. I tried this many years ago with two yellow tangs and put dry seaweeds floating on top water. After one to two days, they feed. Make sure you off all lights before putting them into the basket. The basket technique works with many kinds of fish from experience.

Thanks bro will check out daiso for a basket....