1.5gl Pico Tank

nwyk153

I dared myself to start a pico tank and its going to be small coral only and some inverts. Anyway, Been cycling the water for 2 weeks now and this are the parameters:

-Ammonia 0

-NO2 0

-NO3 5ppm

-PH 8.2

-S.G 1.025

-Calcium not yet check

-Mg not yet check

Using a 1.5gl Pico tank, 7W lamp, Dymax Hangon bio filter, Boyu powerhead for circulation.

Do you think my tank is ready to put in the Cleaners(shrimp, Hermit, snail etc.)?

post-12121-1216441099.jpg

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

Hi bro, nice pico marine tank you have there... What's the dimension of the tank (with only 1.5 gallons)?

I'm new in marine & starting small with a nano (about 4 gallons only) tank setup.. Had cycled my tank for 3 weeks & added in a scarlet cleaner shrimp, a scarlet hermit crab & a red starfish last week & all are doing fine so far...

So what corals & inverts you intend to place in your pico tank? I'm thinking of adding in some corals also later to make my tank more colourful...

PS: The Boyu powerhead that you are using, is it very small? Can't see it in the tank in your pic leh... Thanks!!!

I dared myself to start a pico tank and its going to be small coral only and some inverts. Anyway, Been cycling the water for 2 weeks now and this are the parameters:

-Ammonia 0

-NO2 0

-NO3 5ppm

-PH 8.2

-S.G 1.025

-Calcium not yet check

-Mg not yet check

Using a 1.5gl Pico tank, 7W lamp, Dymax Hangon bio filter, Boyu powerhead for circulation.

Do you think my tank is ready to put in the Cleaners(shrimp, Hermit, snail etc.)?

Hi bro, nice pico marine tank you have there... What's the dimension of the tank (with only 1.5 gallons)?

I'm new in marine & starting small with a nano (about 4 gallons only) tank setup.. Had cycled my tank for 3 weeks & added in a scarlet cleaner shrimp, a scarlet hermit crab & a red starfish last week & all are doing fine so far...

So what corals & inverts you intend to place in your pico tank? I'm thinking of adding in some corals also later to make my tank more colourful...

PS: The Boyu powerhead that you are using, is it very small? Can't see it in the tank in your pic leh... Thanks!!!

Hey, My tank Dimension is 9" by 6" by 7". I just added the Boyu Powerhead yesterday, so the pics was taken before i install it. (will post em soon)

Anyway, I intend to keep only Inverts and maybe some goby since my tank is too little to keep clowns. And also, would like to keep polyps and mushrooms only.

Since my room is air coned, would like to try SPS too. :whistle

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

More pics :yeah:

post-12121-1216545838.jpg

post-12121-1216545849.jpg

post-12121-1216545860.jpg

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

Hi bro, saw your updated pics, it sure looks cool even being a nano & without any livestocks in yet (if my eyes had seen correctly..) Now I'm also itching to convert my similar tank (freshwater planted) to a marine setup like yours also... :eyebrow:

Mind if I ask you the purpose/ function of adding in the Boyu Powerhead in your Nano setup beside the hangon filter? [How much does a Boyu powerhead cost roughly?]

Thanks!

More pics :yeah:

I bet you'll have to pay extra attention to the water parameters. :eyeblur: Any slight changes is going to offset the balance by a great deal as there's almost no buffer :pinch:

But do keep us posted on the progress. I'm feeling the itch to set up a nano in my office. :lol:

Hi bro, saw your updated pics, it sure looks cool even being a nano & without any livestocks in yet (if my eyes had seen correctly..) Now I'm also itching to convert my similar tank (freshwater planted) to a marine setup like yours also... :eyebrow:

Mind if I ask you the purpose/ function of adding in the Boyu Powerhead in your Nano setup beside the hangon filter? [How much does a Boyu powerhead cost roughly?]

Thanks!

Hey, the powerhead is for circulation cause my hang on filter doesn't give enough flow. The boyu powerhead cost me 7 bucks! It's has a adjustable flow.

Will update pics soon! B)

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

I bet you'll have to pay extra attention to the water parameters. :eyeblur: Any slight changes is going to offset the balance by a great deal as there's almost no buffer :pinch:

But do keep us posted on the progress. I'm feeling the itch to set up a nano in my office. :lol:

:lol: LOL. Yeah. I have to check the water twice a week. Planning to do a 30-35% water change every week.

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

oh btw, it's ur office tank or home?

Hey, My tank is in my room(Work station), Infront of my Laptop, so while playing world of warcraft can still watch my Tank LOL.

Tis r the residents :P

post-12121-1217069055.jpg

post-12121-1217069064.jpg

post-12121-1217069072.jpg

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

Hi bro, so good to be able to look at a marine tank as you are playing game or online surfing the net... [For my case, am typing this reply while my the splashing sound of water from my rainbar in my freshwater planted tank...]

Your skunk cleaner is so cool, as if like taking a walk on the rocks like that... Mind asking what's the name of that pink & yellow fish? Looks nice in a nano... Is it a damsel kind? Is it aggressive? Possible to house with common clownfish, scarlet hermit, red starfish & skunk cleaner also? Thanks in advance for the replies....

Hey, My tank is in my room(Work station), Infront of my Laptop, so while playing world of warcraft can still watch my Tank LOL.

Tis r the residents :P

Hi bro, so good to be able to look at a marine tank as you are playing game or online surfing the net... [For my case, am typing this reply while my the splashing sound of water from my rainbar in my freshwater planted tank...]

Your skunk cleaner is so cool, as if like taking a walk on the rocks like that... Mind asking what's the name of that pink & yellow fish? Looks nice in a nano... Is it a damsel kind? Is it aggressive? Possible to house with common clownfish, scarlet hermit, red starfish & skunk cleaner also? Thanks in advance for the replies....

That is a Bicolor Dottyback. It is a very aggressive little fella :shock: . You wouldn't want to house with other fish or it'll not last long. I always want this fish but my 3ft tank is housed with my 7" Lionfish, 6" V-tail Grouper and 14" long Snowflake Eels. Theres no way that fella going to survive in there.

Anyway, going to get a hermit and snail soon, brown algae started to bloom in dead spot area.

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

• 2 weeks later...
Dottyback are good jumpers.. beware

haha. i notice that. I've already transfer him to my 3ft Fowlr tank. :whistle

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

my 1.5" Clown ;)

post-12121-1218457912.jpg

Reefing since 2003
50 Gal Sump,

Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
Hey, My tank Dimension is 9" by 6" by 7". I just added the Boyu Powerhead yesterday, so the pics was taken before i install it. (will post em soon)

Anyway, I intend to keep only Inverts and maybe some goby since my tank is too little to keep clowns. And also, would like to keep polyps and mushrooms only.

Since my room is air coned, would like to try SPS too. :whistle

IMO its very difficult to keep SPS with such a small tank ,parameters flautuate too much .

but nice tank :) update us on how the mushies and fishes are doing i might start one in my office too :P

Zac's Red Sea Reefer 170