OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

In SA it is not illegal to catch fishes in their local waters but is illegal to ship the fishes caught out of the country.

So the 3 kingi's that are sent to taiwan (that's if this news is really true) is most likely done through an illegal shipment.

Awaiting the RC member to post more info. I'll be most interested to find out which wholesaler in taiwan is managing the three kingi's.

Has been long since we had our last vanuatu shipment. But the wait is soon over as LCK is planning to bring in vanuatu shipment.

Here r some rare vanuatu angels expected to come in.

Groucho lemonpeel

post-10328-0-78487500-1313322747_thumb.j

Sunset coral beauty

post-10328-0-35709900-1313322753_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

grouchou angel is a very special fish.

the story behind it is very interesting.

in marshall islands, 10% of the lemon peel and vrolicki population are hybrids.

and out of this 10% of hybrids, 20% of them spawn amongst each other. so it's hybrid x hybrid spawning.

and out of these hybrid x hybrid spawn, there is a small percentage that are aberrations. and these aberrations are grouchou angels.

so multiply the odds, grouchou angels are very rare!

so multiply the odds, grouchou angels are very rare!

Groucho angels are rare and they are only shipped out of vanuatu.

So unless any LFS here starts to bring in vanuatu again, we'll never see any groucho angels again!

• Senior Reefer

Groucho angels are rare and they are only shipped out of vanuatu.

So unless any LFS here starts to bring in vanuatu again, we'll never see any groucho angels again!

they are reported to be found in guam too.

anywhere where vrolicki and lemonpeel overlaps in range will have a grouchou.

a grouchou can only be formed from a hybrid x hybrid cross. and the cross must be an aberration.

when a hybrid mates with another hybrid, it's akin to a pure sp mixing with a pure sp.

so getting an aberration out of that is as rare as getting an aberration out of a pure hybrid species. for example an aberrant flame, lemonpeel etc etc.

thats what makes grouchou so rare.

a grouchou can only be formed from a hybrid x hybrid cross. and the cross must be an aberration.

when a hybrid mates with another hybrid, it's akin to a pure sp mixing with a pure sp.

so getting an aberration out of that is as rare as getting an aberration out of a pure hybrid species. for example an aberrant flame, lemonpeel etc etc.

groucho can be found anywhere as long as there are lemonpeel hybrids.

But only vanuatu shipment seems to be able to catch and export groucho form of lemonpeel hybrid with any regularity. In fact i've not heard or seen of any groucho lemonpeel hybrid coming out of x-mas, marshall, hawaii or even tonga shipment in which lemonpeel hybrids are v common in the stocklist.

• SRC Member

V rare Tonozukai dottyback in a japan LFS from a philippines shipment.

Nice catch by the Japan LFS. I guess the "appetite" for Singapore reefers are still not into rare or uncommon fishes. I'm surprised no one is keen on the Rainfordia opercularis that we have an opportunity to bring in. :cry:

• SRC Member

Can enlighten me what is the difference between a lemonpeel hybrid and this Grouchou?

Oh. So its only this black spot? Personally, I'll prefer the blue spot lemonpeel hybrid.

Cheers

It is quite nice, it looks comical but the blue spot lemonpeel was never seen again after the one that reborn bought in...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Can enlighten me what is the difference between a lemonpeel hybrid and this Grouchou?

a grouchou is a lemonpeel hybrid. but it's special because it has a thick eyebrow above the eye resembling grouchou marx. go google his name. he has thick eyebrows and is the reason why collectors have aptly named it the grouchou lemonpeel.

but here's where it gets interesting.

a lemon peel can hybridise with a vrolicki to produce many range of hybrids. and 10% of the population in the vanuatu, or marshalls or w/e are hybrids.

out of these 10%, only 20% spawn amongst each other. that means, hybrid spawning with hybrid. the other 80% of the 10% spawn with other lemonpeel and other vrolicki, producing even more variation.

now, for a hybrid to spawn with a hybrid the offspring will of course, furthur continue the hybrid genes right? but the hybrid genes get diluted after repeated spawning with other hybrids. a hybrid spawning with a hybrid is no different from a regular lemonpeel spawning with a regular lemonpeel am i right? both parents are the same, so to say.

so a small percentage of the resulting offspring of hybrid x hybrid, will be aberrations. the % of aberration is probably the same as you would any other fish. that is, very rare. just like how it's rare to find an aberrant flame angel right?

and some % of that aberrant offspring of hybrid is the grouchou lemonpeel. which is why the grouchou is considered both a hybrid, and an aberration. strictly speaking, an aberration of the hybrid.

thats why most grouchou lemonpeels do not have much hybrid traits. only the crown or "eyebrow".

i know it's all confusing, but that's the gist of it!

• Senior Reefer

Blue spot are avail, most of time its the price that is not right as most will not ready to pay extra for the blue spot.

Cheers

i tell you honestly.

to be absolutely truthful with you, the only people in this forum willing and interested enough to consider buying rare or interesting fishes are me, digiman, coolguy and probably a smalllll handful of other reefers.

99.9% of people here don't care about rare fish, interesting fish, exotic fish or any out of the normal fish. be it cheap, or expensive.

sure you can say fishes like bandit, tinker, crosshatch, etc etc are rare and many people are willing to buy.

yes! true. but these are rare fishes that are very well known.

what about rare fish that no one knows about? how many people here know what rainfordia opercularis is? how many know what groucho lemonpeel is? or tracey damsel? to be honest, maybe only 5. or less!

so don't be discouraged that no one here is buying the opercularis. the market is just really way too small. most of the time people only ineterested in staples.

Nice catch by the Japan LFS. I guess the "appetite" for Singapore reefers are still not into rare or uncommon fishes. I'm surprised no one is keen on the Rainfordia opercularis that we have an opportunity to bring in. :cry:

This kind of fish v few pple will be interested. I'm one of them but it is too big for my tank.

It is v expensive and is exotic. Not many know about the fish and as such they can't justify paying so much for the fish.

Local reefers cannot yet compare ourselves to japan and US counterparts when it comes to rare and expensive fishes. They have been in the hobby longer than us and are more knowledgeable and has a stronger passion for fishes, so understandably many of the rarest stuff goes to them first.

That is why i continue to post updates of rare and interesting fishes here hoping one day these fishes will receive as much attention as rare and exotics corals.

• Senior Reefer

Nice. Any pix on it? Is the diff only seen on the grey tail compared to Singapore Angel?

yes.

search this thread for poliorus. you should be able to see some photos we've posted before.

also found a very cool razor wrasse! looks gorgeous. and rare