OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Beautiful new interruptus at BH.

smallest one is 4.5 cm, largest is 9.5. the rest are 8.5cm. all except the tiniest one are retailing for 88,000 yen. about 1.1k. very affordable and good price if buy from there.

post-0-0-87254800-1381772492_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-88096000-1381772493.jpg

post-0-0-41073300-1381772494_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-88502800-1381772494_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Woots! Thanks for the idea of a new tank inhabitant! One can never get enough of wrasses :lol:
Rubrovittatus is rare from indo. Ahbeng and Henry rarely carry. Terelabrus sp from Maldives is v common and each shipment can hav excess of 10 pieces. Both suitable and nice candidates

• Senior Reefer

Omg that shepardi is GORGEOUS!! so little markings and so intense orange!

tanakai dottyback also gorgeous n rare! will keep a lookout for all this in future.

that hideous genicanthus is a changing melanospilos that has yet to develop stripes.

as said before, do not be fooled by the number of success stories on the web. for every one alive, many have died. deepwater paracentropyge are not easy afterall.

Jux adds to its legendary status. Any idea at all why they are dying? I believe they were feeding ?

my guess is last journey(Hawaii to USA mainland) wore them out....

these fishes went through system changes quickly...boat journey from collection point(5-10 days),then on collector's hold-up facility(15-30 days),then some 12 hours journey to another system...

most common fishes go through local collection,then wholesellers and then lfs...similar changes..but these fishes seem to be more sensitive..

even the smallest specimen of this expedition died in US shore in few days...seems like smaller the better is not applicable for it..being small actually acted as a disadvantage...without eating died quickly...

• Senior Reefer

Good theory aray. I thought the same regarding their deaths. Too many shipping to and fro all over the world in such short time. Small angels and butterflies are very difficult to maintain weight as tiny Juvis. And if thy r not eating, will waste away super quickly as well.

• Senior Reefer

by the way,fish enthusiastic should follow this blog,if not doing already...by Karen Brittain..

http://fromfisheggstofry.blogspot.in/

thanks for the link. i have been following it recently!

karen is an amazing person and she deserves all the help she can get! i hope to see her one day

• Senior Reefer

Sagittalarva inornatus is rediscovered and placed in a new genus using DNA barcoding. Known only from a single holotype from its type location in Baja until now. Paper accepted and released in Jun 2013 this year.

This fish was described in 1890, and no information or photo or specimen has ever been available until now. using dna barcoding on similar fishes found in galapagos, it has been identified and re-grouped in its new genus. being a v deepwater fish, its range extends more than previously known. type location is baja mexico at 80-150m.

paper here: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2013/f/zt03669p570.pdf

post-0-0-34234100-1382105286_thumb.png