OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

Can only see.. Will never be able to get our hand on this.. Sigh..

you can only collect this by snorkeling. diving is prohibited there.

so unless the takuechii swims to the surface and let you catch, you won't get it. the other way is to get it illegally.

this is the holy grail of genicanthus. but only the juvenile is nice. male is very ugly IMO, and females looks very weird... too many stripes and all too close to each other.

you can only collect this by snorkeling. diving is prohibited there.

so unless the takuechii swims to the surface and let you catch, you won't get it. the other way is to get it illegally.

this is the holy grail of genicanthus. but only the juvenile is nice. male is very ugly IMO, and females looks very weird... too many stripes and all too close to each other.

One of the holy grail.. There is another one...

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

One of the holy grail..

yah actually got 4 holy grails.

takeuchii, semicinctus, spinus and personatus.

of all the 4 unobtainables, personatus is considered obtainable. but it's still vvvvv rare and u need ultra deep pockets. so just lump it together with the 3 bah.

unobtainable for us :)

yah actually got 4 holy grails.

takeuchii, semicinctus, spinus and personatus.

of all the 4 unobtainables, personatus is considered obtainable. but it's still vvvvv rare and u need ultra deep pockets. so just lump it together with the 3 bah.

unobtainable for us :)

Another one that I like is Genicanthus semicinctus..

:fear: :fear: :fear:

Okay, I know I going to get suan again... LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Another one that I like is Genicanthus semicinctus..

:fear: :fear: :fear:

Okay, I know I going to get suan again... LOL...

NOO!!! semicinctus is VERY NICE.

the female is black and white and looks VERY stylish. and the males have a beautiful orangey belly which goes very well with the stripes.

one of the nicest.

• Senior Reefer

the female is black and white and looks VERY stylish. and the males have a beautiful orangey belly which goes very well with the stripes.

one of the nicest.

anyway there is no genicanthus that i don't like. i like personatus the least. especially the females. but the male can be quite nice.

followed by melanospilos. looks so common and a caudovittatus would replace it anyday.

one of the nicest.

LOL... Finally ah.. A common taste... LOL..

Member of:

anyway there is no genicanthus that i don't like. i like personatus the least. especially the females. but the male can be quite nice.

followed by melanospilos. looks so common and a caudovittatus would replace it anyday.

Yeah, they are one of the nicest angels around even Melanospilos also can be very nice..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Yeah, they are one of the nicest angels around even Melanospilos also can be very nice..

melanospilos only the very big males with very long trailing filaments on the tail nice.

the fins have very fine delicate patterns of yellow spots and stripes that is very nice and appreciative.

• Senior Reefer

this is a very very famous video of an illegally caught genicanthus takeuchii. this particular specimen is in HK and is suffering from internal problems, as noted by it's very pinched stomach.

either that or it's starving. this is a transitioning juvenile-female specimen, and being collected from deepwater, this fish can pose a potential feeding problem.

• Senior Reefer

some pictures of the very beautiful genicanthus semicinctus. one of my favourites.

last picture is just amazing. 2nd picture shows a female.

unfortunately, since it's found in lord howe islands, it is unobtainable since lord howe is a UNESCO world heritage site. the only way u can get it is if it waifs out of the protected zone.

interestingly, this is one genicanthus that is not haremic. males and females live alone, and 4-5 may be found in a certain area.

post-15755-006939600 1279467395_thumb.jp

post-15755-044103400 1279467400_thumb.jp

post-15755-039546200 1279467413_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

the uglier unobtainable cousin in the genicanthus genus.

genicanthus spinus.

unless you are willing to charter your own expedition trip to pitcairn islands, this fish will remain unobtainable. while you're there, snag me a bunch of chaetodon smithi will ya?

post-15755-032012700 1279467646_thumb.jp

post-15755-039508000 1279467651_thumb.jp

this is a very very famous video of an illegally caught genicanthus takeuchii. this particular specimen is in HK and is suffering from internal problems, as noted by it's very pinched stomach.

either that or it's starving. this is a transitioning juvenile-female specimen, and being collected from deepwater, this fish can pose a potential feeding problem.

It is showing buoyancy problem when i first saw the video... Think it is never made it...

Member of:

some pictures of the very beautiful genicanthus semicinctus. one of my favourites.

last picture is just amazing. 2nd picture shows a female.

unfortunately, since it's found in lord howe islands, it is unobtainable since lord howe is a UNESCO world heritage site. the only way u can get it is if it waifs out of the protected zone.

interestingly, this is one genicanthus that is not haremic. males and females live alone, and 4-5 may be found in a certain area.

Yeah... It is a pity, the nearest we could get is G. semifasciatus...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

one more. posted before but since we're on the topic of genicanthus, here's another spectacular and rare hybrid.

watanabe x lamarck.

hmm.. seems like lamarck is prone to hybridisation in this genus?

post-15755-002690900 1279468205_thumb.jp