OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• SRC Member

this is a very very famous video of an illegally caught genicanthus takeuchii. this particular specimen is in HK and is suffering from internal problems, as noted by it's very pinched stomach.

either that or it's starving. this is a transitioning juvenile-female specimen, and being collected from deepwater, this fish can pose a potential feeding problem.

Oh my... kinda dangerous to post photos or videos of rare fishes if you don't know the source? I wonder what are the implications if you bought a fish obtained by illegal means.

• Senior Reefer

Hehe... Look like female semicinctus hor... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

yep. abit.

female semicinctus is very ugly. plain uniform colour with no markings. the hybrid lamarck x melanospilos is way better.

anyway i should be getting the bible of wrasses either late next week or early week after.

i'm sure there are plenty of beautiful wrasses inside we've never seen before and possibly some extravagant hybrids. will be posting pictures from the book here.

one more. posted before but since we're on the topic of genicanthus, here's another spectacular and rare hybrid.

watanabe x lamarck.

hmm.. seems like lamarck is prone to hybridisation in this genus?

This is one nice hybrid.

I think because Larmarck Angel range more wide?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Oh my... kinda dangerous to post photos or videos of rare fishes if you don't know the source? I wonder what are the implications if you bought a fish obtained by illegal means.

i dunno.

there are plenty of illegally owned fishes.

look at the resplenden dwarf angelfish. almost all of them in someone's tank are illegal. i don't know how chingchai got his, but i'm willing to bet it's illegal too. and not from RCT as they stopped breeding years ago.

• Senior Reefer

This is one nice hybrid.

I think because Larmarck Angel range more wide?

i think so. lamarck is very very haremic in nature.

when spawning between the alpha male and females, sometimes subordinate males will "rush" and release their sperm as well. they cheat by doing this so they can have a chance at mating with the female. sort of like stealing the female from the alpha male.

maybe they do this to other spawning genicanthus as well? who knows. i'm not an expert when it comes to this hehe

That Takeuchii is actually for sale... LOL... It will be confiscated for singapore case and you will be fined...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

That Takeuchii is actually for sale... LOL... It will be confiscated for singapore case and you will be fined...

yes for sale illegally. shame on the collector.

illegally catch it still dare to flaunt it for sale. moreover an obviously unhealthy fish with severe emaciation and swim bladder disorder.

i think so. lamarck is very very haremic in nature.

when spawning between the alpha male and females, sometimes subordinate males will "rush" and release their sperm as well. they cheat by doing this so they can have a chance at mating with the female. sort of like stealing the female from the alpha male.

maybe they do this to other spawning genicanthus as well? who knows. i'm not an expert when it comes to this hehe

You might never know, somehow they breed together between species...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

You might never know, somehow they breed together between species...

usually hybridisation occurs when one species is very rare while the other species is very common, in one location.

the rarer species will be forced to mate with the more common one becaues it cannot find a mate.

one famous example is the flame x rusty hybrid.

rusty angels are very common in the indo-pacific while flame angels are not. the rarer flame angels have no choice but to mate with the closely related rusty angels.

thus your rusty x flame hybrid arises.

this may be the case for these genicanthus.

usually hybridisation occurs when one species is very rare while the other species is very common, in one location.

the rarer species will be forced to mate with the more common one becaues it cannot find a mate.

one famous example is the flame x rusty hybrid.

rusty angels are very common in the indo-pacific while flame angels are not. the rarer flame angels have no choice but to mate with the closely related rusty angels.

thus your rusty x flame hybrid arises.

this may be the case for these genicanthus.

I think that is true for some cases... Still dreaming about my rusty x flame hybrid.. Sigh... The larmarck hybrid not collected right? It is in the wild photo right?

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I think that is true for some cases... Still dreaming about my rusty x flame hybrid.. Sigh... The larmarck hybrid not collected right? It is in the wild photo right?

yep. it's taken from the wild in japan.

• Senior Reefer

here's another rare cirrhilabrus we can all try to aim for.

Cirrhilabrus tonozukai

a close relative to the whipfin fairy wrasse. this one can be found in indonesia, so keep your eyes peeled during shipment.

post-15755-051257600 1279469099_thumb.jp

post-15755-070991100 1279469104_thumb.jp

Cirrhilabrus tonozukai

a close relative to the whipfin fairy wrasse. this one can be found in indonesia, so keep your eyes peeled during shipment.

Looks familiar!!! Hmmmm...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

japan.

eh no.

the lamarck x watanabe is not from the wild. it's not an aquarium photo too.

maybe a holotype. but it's in japan i think. it's from a japan book.

the lamarck x melanospilos is from the wild in japan.

• Senior Reefer

Sigh... I hope can find one in our area... LOL...

both their range overlap in our area. so that's 1 plus point.

secondly, the hybrid is not very spectacular looking, so demand probably isn't sky high. thats another plus point.

thirdly, it looks like a female - male transitioning melanospilos, and not some hybrid. so supplier may not know. 3rd plus point.

we may get to see it afterall one day. but it's very rare i guess.

both their range overlap in our area. so that's 1 plus point.

secondly, the hybrid is not very spectacular looking, so demand probably isn't sky high. thats another plus point.

thirdly, it looks like a female - male transitioning melanospilos, and not some hybrid. so supplier may not know. 3rd plus point.

we may get to see it afterall one day. but it's very rare i guess.

3 plus point is better than none... Let me wait... LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I think I saw it before very long time ago... I cant be sure but it is not a whip fin comfirmed...

then it probably is.

it looks like a whipfin x rubripinnis.

anyway hope to see it one day.

eh no.

the lamarck x watanabe is not from the wild. it's not an aquarium photo too.

maybe a holotype. but it's in japan i think. it's from a japan book.

the lamarck x melanospilos is from the wild in japan.

So I guess that is the only one bah...

Member of:

• SRC Member

Cirrhilabrus tonozukai

nice... i wan... lemon if u saw tis fish do cal me hor...

don tel terry... LOL!!!!