OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

nachyaki is such an ambiguous wrasse. it look so similar to vanuatu flame wrasse. who is to say it isnt?

besides. until now i still dont know what's a vanuatu flame wrasse.

The Tongan flame wrasse, Fiji flame wrasse(now known as nachakyi wrasse) and the vanuatu flame wrasse are all very similar to each other. Personally I would say all three are the same fish but colour variants due to locales. These fishes have been around for ages and always jux labelled cirrhilabrus sp. They're still awaiting formal ID and DNA mapping or test or watever u biologists call it in order to confirm if they're the same species. Dr Tanaka, wat's taking u so long!

Anyway rare fish time. The rarer among the lipogrammas, lipogramma regia!

post-10328-052196700 1279547501_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

The Tongan flame wrasse, Fiji flame wrasse(now known as nachakyi wrasse) and the vanuatu flame wrasse are all very similar to each other. Personally I would say all three are the same fish but colour variants due to locales. These fishes have been around for ages and always jux labelled cirrhilabrus sp. They're still awaiting formal ID and DNA mapping or test or watever u biologists call it in order to confirm if they're the same species. Dr Tanaka, wat's taking u so long!

Anyway rare fish time. The rarer among the lipogrammas, lipogramma regia!

very nice lipogramma.

anyway, to officially describe a new species, a 3-4 page report has to be done, comparing it to closely related specimens to make sure it's different.

DNA mapping, scale count, bone count, dorsal fin count etc are all important attributes.

one fairy wrasse we can look forward to being officially ID-ed will be the pintail fairy wrasse. Cirrhilabrus cf. lanceolatus.

it is being described by Dr. Senou

• Senior Reefer

This fish was featured on episode 1 of the "pacific abyss"

every sunday 9pm channel 407.

Belonoperca pylei.

ironically, in the show, richard pyle was catching it, decompressing it, and bringing it to the surface. the person the fish was named after.

post-15755-016171300 1279553510_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

photo of earlei again. this was caught in last sunday's episode too. and the colour is ABSOLUTELY STUNNING. it was in a container with plenty of other fish and this one stood out like a sore thumb

post-15755-025368200 1279553706_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

Here's an interesting fish posted before: Serranus chionaraia aka snow basslet from caribbean shipment.

Suprisingly cheap at about $250 to $300 given how rare this fish is. More info here .

the snow basslet will be available this weekend :eyebrow:

is tis consider rare.... i wan tis fish....

DARK BLUE MIDNIGHT PYGMY ANGEL

post-5541-056386700 1279608835_thumb.jpg

yes very rare.

posted here before.

this is the dark blue variant of Centropyge nox.

Hehe... This dark blue varient is on my list... But they come from Fiji, and I dun think any LFS would wanna risk bringing in Nox from Fiji if they cant confirm it is the dark blue one and getting it is difficult... There is only 1 specimen so far..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Hehe... This dark blue varient is on my list... But they come from Fiji, and I dun think any LFS would wanna risk bringing in Nox from Fiji if they cant confirm it is the dark blue one and getting it is difficult... There is only 1 specimen so far..

bro its blue color eh... Not black or white... LOL!!!!

• Senior Reefer

bro its blue color eh... Not black or white... LOL!!!!

the blue colour morph of centropyge nox is a very rare variant.

no one knows the % of population with this colour.

it could very well be like, 2% of the population?

the thing is, although the colour is different from the normal, it's scientific name is still centropyge nox. so LFS will not dare to place orders for this "centropyge nox", because an entire shipment of normal black ones will come.

moreover, even if the supplier manages to find a blue one, it will go to japan. not singapore

the blue colour morph of centropyge nox is a very rare variant.

no one knows the % of population with this colour.

it could very well be like, 2% of the population?

the thing is, although the colour is different from the normal, it's scientific name is still centropyge nox. so LFS will not dare to place orders for this "centropyge nox", because an entire shipment of normal black ones will come.

moreover, even if the supplier manages to find a blue one, it will go to japan. not singapore

I dun even think it is 2% lor.. Like the blue potter, only 1 specimen so far... So it is difficult to get varients and hybrid becos they are still under the same scientific name...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I dun even think it is 2% lor.. Like the blue potter, only 1 specimen so far... So it is difficult to get varients and hybrid becos they are still under the same scientific name...

no blue nox have before. the angel book i have, it's said that the blue nox has been seen before in fiji. so there is definitely more than one.

no blue nox have before. the angel book i have, it's said that the blue nox has been seen before in fiji. so there is definitely more than one.

That is one piece of good news... Maybe I should try emailing Walts Smith?!?!

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

That is one piece of good news... Maybe I should try emailing Walts Smith?!?!

u can try. get walt smith to source yourself, then ask walt smith to import via iwarna.