OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• Senior Reefer

I know the 2nd one is not yours.. But the first one looks local... LOL..

i'm actually very scared to buy genicanthus.

i'm obsessing about them now so i keep reading up on them. realise even in RC, alot of people's genicanthus are fading back to females. even copps one.

and even if people have only one pair, the males still fade.

so far those i've encountered online that have reverted sex

- watanabei

- semifasciatus

- melanospilos.

bellus so far seems to be able to retain sex very well.

no information on caudovittatus as it is very rare in the states. recently quite unobtainable there. so i will post a pic of mine there :P

so it seems that the original theory of being the most dominant fish = retain male, is false. coz even ppl with 1 pair of geni and other peaceful fish, the male still fade back.

i think i have a hypothesis. most "male + female" pairs are actually not true pairs. probably just living together but no social interaction. thus sometimes the female can change to male and the male can change back to female.

i've seen a thread on RC, this guy has 4 female watanabei. one female watanabe out of the 4 changed into a fully functional and very very beautiful male within 2 months. and the male never faded in colour. probably because there is social heirachy interaction between the 4.

so i'm wondering.....genicanthuses will fade in colour isit coz the male and female are not true pairs? or do they need more than 1 females..

hope i can crack the code before i obtain the semifasciatus... in case they morph back to female which is just going to be very zzz

maybe the only way to retain the male is to let the female morph into a male itself, rather than get a wild male. that way, when it morph in the tank, it has a reason to morph and that is the reason it will keep the male-ness.

Oh ya always confused between the two. Yes i feel striatus from carribbean is nicer, larger black bands than humeralis.

Congrats, so fast u got your dream fish le.

Humeralis is more silver/grey if not wrong. Appeal to me more..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

All the skunk comples are so similar, like how all the clarkii complex look so identical to me.

I like this a lot, PNG Leucokranos, differ from the Solomon island Leucs by being more orange!

This colour form looks really lovely :wub:

• Senior Reefer

Humeralis is more silver/grey if not wrong. Appeal to me more..

i prefer striatus. the tail and forehead is much nicer. and colour more striking.

the other carribean butterly, the 4 eye butterfly, also very nice. but it's a soft coral eater and eats predominantly soft corals.

i'm actually very scared to buy genicanthus.

i'm obsessing about them now so i keep reading up on them. realise even in RC, alot of people's genicanthus are fading back to females. even copps one.

and even if people have only one pair, the males still fade.

so far those i've encountered online that have reverted sex

- watanabei

- semifasciatus

- melanospilos.

bellus so far seems to be able to retain sex very well.

no information on caudovittatus as it is very rare in the states. recently quite unobtainable there. so i will post a pic of mine there :P

so it seems that the original theory of being the most dominant fish = retain male, is false. coz even ppl with 1 pair of geni and other peaceful fish, the male still fade back.

i think i have a hypothesis. most "male + female" pairs are actually not true pairs. probably just living together but no social interaction. thus sometimes the female can change to male and the male can change back to female.

i've seen a thread on RC, this guy has 4 female watanabei. one female watanabe out of the 4 changed into a fully functional and very very beautiful male within 2 months. and the male never faded in colour. probably because there is social heirachy interaction between the 4.

so i'm wondering.....genicanthuses will fade in colour isit coz the male and female are not true pairs? or do they need more than 1 females..

hope i can crack the code before i obtain the semifasciatus... in case they morph back to female which is just going to be very zzz

maybe the only way to retain the male is to let the female morph into a male itself, rather than get a wild male. that way, when it morph in the tank, it has a reason to morph and that is the reason it will keep the male-ness.

I think more than a pair might be the trick to keeping the male coloration... Becos there is a need for a male to lead the group of females..

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

I think more than a pair might be the trick to keeping the male coloration... Becos there is a need for a male to lead the group of females..

that's what i thought too.

but my friend had a watanabe pair, semifasciatus pair and bellus pair.

his semifasciatus was a sub male. i duno if it was morphing from male to female, or female to male.

but his watanabei morphed from a brilliant male to a giant female.

that's what i thought too.

but my friend had a watanabe pair, semifasciatus pair and bellus pair.

his semifasciatus was a sub male. i duno if it was morphing from male to female, or female to male.

but his watanabei morphed from a brilliant male to a giant female.

With so many examples, I guess the answer should be more or less that it would require more than a pair to maintain the hierarchy and make the male stay male... But I think what Digiman said before, if there are other dominant angels den it might not need the male to stay male...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

my insatiable hunger for this fish now is just indescribable. hope to stumble across it one day.

terryz! we must get a pair each and hope to retain it's male colouration. i've seen a few pairs being kept in reef central, but i've not seen a male being male for long. all either turn female, or the rest no update. so dunno if retain male or not.

post-15755-006597400 1280220714_thumb.jp

post-15755-064234100 1280220721_thumb.jp

post-15755-085935100 1280220726_thumb.jp

post-15755-045508800 1280220732_thumb.jp

my insatiable hunger for this fish now is just indescribable. hope to stumble across it one day.

terryz! we must get a pair each and hope to retain it's male colouration. i've seen a few pairs being kept in reef central, but i've not seen a male being male for long. all either turn female, or the rest no update. so dunno if retain male or not.

No matter what, this is one that I will get... If got more female, will get two female and 1 male or 3 female...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

No matter what, this is one that I will get... If got more female, will get two female and 1 male or 3 female...

yes must get this. must must must must must.

i also want bellus. bellus male is nice.

caudovittatus is so rare in the US. actually not on my list, dunno why i bought it also.....

maybe will sell it off. but it's very nice..

yes must get this. must must must must must.

i also want bellus. bellus male is nice.

caudovittatus is so rare in the US. actually not on my list, dunno why i bought it also.....

maybe will sell it off. but it's very nice..

Caudovittatus, if you selling, let me know... If your pair is up to my mark, I would get it.. LOL...

Member of:

• Senior Reefer

Caudovittatus, if you selling, let me know... If your pair is up to my mark, I would get it.. LOL...

let you know if i selling.

anyway just visited my fish at FuEl's house.

my maculosus seem to have injured it's eye. dunno isit from the marginalis because they are housed together... the eye seem to have kena poked and looks like it's bleeding. but it's only the corner of the eye not the pupil so it still can see.

hope it heals and doesn't like, go blind.... i love that fish.

• Senior Reefer

anyway, 2 very lousy pics of my Genicanthus caudovittatus pair in hypo.

the female is very nice but as you can see, it's miniscule compared to the male.

i think the female is slowly turning male.... signs of a untrue pair. normally, female caudovittatus will have a black band passing through the eye. you can clearly see that the band is absent in my female.

post-15755-002103900 1280225923_thumb.jp

post-15755-021700400 1280225928_thumb.jp

Genicanthus is the most haremic angel genus. Like fairy wrasses, they need a harem for one to stay male. Unless u're able to obtain a spawning pair (which in this case will be a truely mated pair) which is able to maintain regularly spawning behaviour so as the male find a need to remain male. For example Dr Wing's spawning pair of personatus here. So if u can find one male yellow mask and if u really like the fish, i think it's worthwhile to get a few more females and sell off all your other genicanthus species (esp the males) so as to keep the male male.

• Senior Reefer

Genicanthus is the most haremic angel genus. Like fairy wrasses, they need a harem for one to stay male. Unless u're able to obtain a spawning pair (which in this case will be a truely mated pair) which is able to maintain regularly spawning behaviour so as the male find a need to remain male. For example Dr Wing's spawning pair of personatus here. So if u can find one male yellow mask and if u really like the fish, i think it's worthwhile to get a few more females and sell off all your other genicanthus species (esp the males) so as to keep the male male.

yes i agree. but problem is it's so difficult to find some of the genicanthus...

it's possible to carry out what you say with watanabe, bellus, melanospilos and lamarck.

but caudovittatus and semifasciatus are just so rare that to find 1 is already so difficult. what more with so many competitors in this market who are after affordable and beautiful reef safe angels.

and if you find a pair of them, the next shipment of females may be months away. enough time for the male to fade back to female. it's not as easy to do :(

but caudovittatus and semifasciatus are just so rare that to find 1 is already so difficult. what more with so many competitors in this market who are after affordable and beautiful reef safe angels.

and if you find a pair of them, the next shipment of females may be months away. enough time for the male to fade back to female. it's not as easy to do :(

yellow mask availability is quite random. Certain period of the year there can be quite a number of females appearing at one time but most of the time i agree we dun see them at all. Caudovittatus is rare, each time only one or two. Just be more patient, recently we've been seeing many unusual fishes which has never before appeared in our LFS history, so anything w a slight chance of possibility can now happen.

Anyway here are three fishes i quite like.

1)Canary Damsel, this little jewel from cook island when are u coming to singapore?

2)Spotted hybrid lemonpeel, if vanuatu shipment is still around, this type of hybrids will be selling at a small fraction of the price of the so called ultra hybrid at RB recently.

3)Sailfin anthias (Rabaulichthys sp), awesome anthias imagine keeping a group, but looks quite delicate.

post-10328-020406700 1280227858_thumb.jp

post-10328-063641800 1280227865_thumb.jp

post-10328-033247300 1280227872_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

yellow mask availability is quite random. Certain period of the year there can be quite a number of females appearing at one time but most of the time i agree we dun see them at all. Caudovittatus is rare, each time only one or two. Just be more patient, recently we've been seeing many unusual fishes which has never before appeared in our LFS history, so anything w a slight chance of possibility can now happen.

Anyway here are three fishes i quite like.

1)Canary Damsel, this little jewel from cook island when are u coming to singapore?

2)Spotted hybrid lemonpeel, if vanuatu shipment is still around, this type of hybrids will be selling at a small fraction of the price of the so called ultra hybrid at RB recently.

3)Sailfin anthias (Rabaulichthys sp), awesome anthias imagine keeping a group, but looks quite delicate.

have been waiting for the damsel

yes it looks so orange right!

Yes! Generally, the A. leucokranos I have seen on the web are burnt orange to yellow in colour. This striking orange is just amazing :D

Any lfs able to bring this colour variant in? :unsure:

• Senior Reefer

Yes! Generally, the A. leucokranos I have seen on the web are burnt orange to yellow in colour. This striking orange is just amazing :D

Any lfs able to bring this colour variant in? :unsure:

i've not seen them here. only seen the normal leucs.

CF is the only LFS that bring leucs in

anyway, 2 very lousy pics of my Genicanthus caudovittatus pair in hypo.

the female is very nice but as you can see, it's miniscule compared to the male.

i think the female is slowly turning male.... signs of a untrue pair. normally, female caudovittatus will have a black band passing through the eye. you can clearly see that the band is absent in my female.

I am not sure if this is a aberrant or it is morphing to male... Time will tell..

Member of: