OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Within a year from now, bred Bandits Angels will be available on a more or less regular basis. Bred ones are easier in acclimation and keeping.They do much better on food offered then those wild collected ones.

A serious matter:

Really don, know WHY the F*** you all like to take fish out of the water!! It is VERY HARMFUL to the gills and can leave damage beyond repair!!Not to mention that fish are coldblooded and thus hands feel like red hot! If the water temperature is 26 centigrade ,so is the fish.. Hmm. humans are 36 centigrade so why don,t you try to put your hands in 46 degrees water and try how it feels....In the early 70 'Singapore was so advanced in the Marine Aquarium Hobby and now....

I know plenty of you here don,t like my attitude as being frank and open. I don,t care about you... I care about the fish!!.

Johan care to share with us how one should handle the fishes? As a lot of new reefers here would be very interested to know.

• SRC Member

tony is very happy with his trio of female semifasciatus angels now after waiting for so many years.

the feeling of obtaining something you've been looking for for so long is exhilirating.

that's how i felt too when i found my lone female from coral farm.

here's another happy reefer unbagging his pair of semifasciatus angels. photo was taken 3 years ago though.

males are really super ultra gorgeous! haha females are good enough for me though :)

males are really super ultra gorgeous! haha females are good enough for me though :)

Unlike so many of you might think, Semifasciatus is not rare , but the survival rates are very poor.That is on collecting and travelling..They do less good than for instance watanabei or bellus ,while coming from even somewhat deeper grounds.

At drop offs it is typical use to "juice" the fish and the semi's are no exception to the rule.If anybody tells you they are "net caught"the likely mean the net they will use to get the fish packed for you in the shop ,because it is utterly B S !!

Then pin the bladder and "up "they go!!Kept in bags with dirty water,high levels of amo and whatever there might be in there ,but not improving the status of the fish... After some 4 or 5 days. getting only re-oxynation twice or so, they reach Manila...in bags with a temperature of 32 centigrade....... NOT A PRETTY SIGHT!!!!!

Would it not be great to have somewhat more awareness within the hobby and therefore the hobbyists?

• SRC Member

Unlike so many of you might think, Semifasciatus is not rare , but the survival rates are very poor.That is on collecting and travelling..They do less good than for instance watanabei or bellus ,while coming from even somewhat deeper grounds.

At drop offs it is typical use to "juice" the fish and the semi's are no exception to the rule.If anybody tells you they are "net caught"the likely mean the net they will use to get the fish packed for you in the shop ,because it is utterly B S !!

Then pin the bladder and "up "they go!!Kept in bags with dirty water,high levels of amo and whatever there might be in there ,but not improving the status of the fish... After some 4 or 5 days. getting only re-oxynation twice or so, they reach Manila...in bags with a temperature of 32 centigrade....... NOT A PRETTY SIGHT!!!!!

Would it not be great to have somewhat more awareness within the hobby and therefore the hobbyists?

Johan...thanks for your posts - they are a breath of fresh air! From your posts, I can see that you are one of the few collectors/exporters that really care for the fish, more than the all important dollar! :welldone:

Looking forward to the day when you will provide the world with tank bred specimens of the rarer angels! :groupwavereversed:

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

Sad to see this happening. Are there no govt body to oversee the proper handling of the fishes or some form of education?

Sad to see this happening. Are there no govt body to oversee the proper handling of the fishes or some form of education?

Well since you asked for it:

It goes like this:

Hobbyist wants to buy a "fish". goes to the retailer and makes objections to the price...

Hmm... retailer talks to the wholesaler or importer,"can,t sell that well anymore DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!"

Importer calls on the exporter "You must give me discount or I will buy elsewhere...".

Exporter turns to the divers , the most poorest people in the Philippines!! He you!! Better catch more fish against a lower price ... or else...

So in other words......Any idea who is to blame in the first place ???

Lucky enough there are also GOOD importers that pay a higher price in order to get top quality fish.. remember quality has a price tag!!

I also tend to say " DISCOUNT??? Not with us !! "

Discount and high mortality travel in the same bag...

Without doubts, Bandit is one of the most popular angel. Below is a 4" one, not the most desirable of size, but a super healthy piece. Those interested M3 is taking order for 4 to 5" bandits now.

Tempted to get from M3, but heard lots of failures with adult size bandits.

Anyone successfully kept a 5" bandit?

Or maybe I should wait till M3 has 3-4" one...

Tempted to get from M3, but heard lots of failures with adult size bandits.

Anyone successfully kept a 5" bandit?

Or maybe I should wait till M3 has 3-4" one...

Countless bandits over 5" had came in over the years. But those i know still alive i can probably count with less than three fingers.

Thank you for your support, DIGIMAN !!

It is not easy to convince ignorant people that are more into post stamp collecting and showing of to "friends". I rather dwell among the few REAL hobbyist with HEART for living Godly creatures!

Thank you for your support, DIGIMAN !!

It is not easy to convince ignorant people that are more into post stamp collecting and showing of to "friends". I rather dwell among the few REAL hobbyist with HEART for living Godly creatures!

You are right.

So we should stop buying adult bandits >5", and hopefully when the demand drops, the collection of such sizes will stop? :yahoo:

Alrite, will do my part....

• Senior Reefer

semifasciatus angels are not rare in the wild but as mentioned above, ship badly due to improper collection.

it's been so many year since i last saw them for sale and seeing a pair for sale now is still exciting.

some of you might remember the semifasciatus x melanospilos hybrid from copps quite awhile back. howevere there's been no update on this fish and i'm quite interested in it's development. wonder what the male form of the hybrid will look like.

post-15755-0-75403300-1316703139_thumb.j

post-15755-0-73379900-1316703145_thumb.j

• Senior Reefer

"v rare lemonpeel from cocos island where joculators come from. A variant" lemon lemon

Picture taken at a Japanese lfs,blueharbor

yah that's the cocos island lemonpeel from the indian ocean.

the eye does not have a blue eye ring. instead, it has a blue iris. normal lemonpeels from pacific have black iris but a blue eye ring.

don't know if the genetics are the same or not.

• SRC Member

Interesting... anyone seen specimens here?

post-15726-0-98617700-1316751039_thumb.j

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

Interesting... anyone seen specimens here?

only one video of it ever documented and a few pictures.

it's still undescribed. not found in the trade yet. but it's related to the grissingeri goby and it's tiny.

a very nice zebrasoma scopas variant from fiji.

We collect at Bicol Z. scopas which is almost silver color and yellow fins/tail.. looks good.. better then those to be frank

Shame I am a poor photographer otherwise I could make pictures..

Today we shipped to Germany Mimic tang which is mimicry of the hybrid Lemonpeel and half black angel...

Pretty cool fish.. black tail and dark trims.. rest of body pale yellow..just like the hybrid angels looks!!

Good perhaps be a hybrid of A chronixis and pyropherus...

• Senior Reefer

We collect at Bicol Z. scopas which is almost silver color and yellow fins/tail.. looks good.. better then those to be frank

Today we shipped to Germany Mimic tang which is mimicry of the hybrid Lemonpeel and half black angel...

Pretty cool fish.. black tail and dark trims.. rest of body pale yellow..just like the hybrid angels looks!!

Good perhaps be a hybrid of A chronixis and pyropherus...

ive seen many aberrant scopas and mimic tangs coming out of philippines but never heard of the one you just described.

sounds very cool!

OMG a silver scopas w a yellow tail? That sounds like a really amazing aberration!

I want to see the fish! But sadly no pic.