OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

my favourite hybrid lemonpeels are those with a very black back with electric blue lines.

such as these.

but these are considered ultra grade and very rare. they even have grouchou heads!

These are extremely rare. Only vanuatu lemonpeel hybrids can produce these standards.

• Senior Reefer

here are some photos of jake adam's fish.

i "borrowed" them to share here. but i don't think he'll mind hehe.. :o

his clarion angel.

the orange from a clarion is unbeatable by any other! stunning!

post-15755-0-80391700-1317554982_thumb.j

here's 2 hybrid of the pearlscale butterfly.

the first photo was taken in the wild. it's a xanthurus x argentatus hybrid

the second photo is from a dead specimen i found at coral farm :( the photo of me holding it looks fresh as it just died. really a shame because this is an extremely rare hybrid of xanthurus x guentheri. it was featured in one of my older reefbuilders article.

both spectacular hybrids. really unfortunate that the guentheri x xanthurus hybrid was dead!

What's the tell tale sign that's its a hybrid of xanthurus and guentheri? I find butterflies hybrid harder to tell compared to angels

• Senior Reefer

What's the tell tale sign that's its a hybrid of xanthurus and guentheri? I find butterflies hybrid harder to tell compared to angels

well.

guentheri and xanthurus has a overall, similar colouration. white with orange-yellow posterior.

so the two when mixed, doesn't give a very blarring obvious sign.

we identify one of the parent first.

look at the forehead. there is a small crown. this crown came from the xanthurus. however, the crown is not as strong as a full blood xanthurus because it has been diluted by the crownless guentheri.

look at the body markings too. it has a slightly criss-crossed marking, similar to xanthurus. xanthurus has a very strong chevron mark. but this hybrid is more spotty, but the chevron pattern is still obvious.

now for parent 2.

the dorsal fin is a little yellowish, compared to pure white for xanthurus. the guentheri blood gave it the yellowish tint. also. guentheri has spots on the body which, when mixed with the chevron from xanthurus, gave a chevron-spotty design.

often times it's very difficult to guess the hybrid. so just look at the overall appearance and try to match which parent gave which design.

it's like putting a whole poster of butterflies and try matching them to see if they give you something that looks like the hybrid.

also take into consideration the range in which they overlap.

for example, a spotfin butterfly will never hybridise with a raccoon butterfly.

hope that helps. but most of the time, it's still a guessing game.

• SRC Member

There was no price listed for the goby. But it seems that the commensal shrimp for this goby is the fine-striped pistol.

Anyway here is one of my dream fish:

Bro, u got a 2nd chance now. But still large specimen.

Cheers

• Senior Reefer

exquisite wrasses from vanuatu is my favourite colour morph for this very variable species.

males have yellow unpaired fins and the pink saddles on the dark green body is very spectacular!

post-15755-0-29238700-1317913288_thumb.p

post-15755-0-04758000-1317913295_thumb.p

hi every-meow.

i'm back from KL after 4 days.

semifasciatus season is still in swing!

here's some from LADD (live aquaria's diver's den)

It'll be interesting to see whether this influx of semi angels will just be a temporary one and after go missing again for many years to come.

But i highly doubt so. Seems like the fish is re-appearing becos of an increase in popularity and demand and as such should become a staple, but wont be as staple as melanospilos.

Anyway here is a thread by zumaboy at rareclownfish.com which i find interesting and recommend all reefers to read and start pondering about designer's clown's worth and its future.

Conversation between two clownfish

a hybrid butterflyfish caught from the shores of australia.

any idea what it could be?

Definitely got racoon blood. The other not too sure.

Here is an angelfish sent to Blueharbor from RCT Dr Frank:

post-10328-0-01972100-1317983089_thumb.j

It is called the hawaii cherub angel. Mass production to be expected next year.

2 very rare and beautiful butterflyfishes.

Prognathodes obliquus and Prognathodes dichrous

oblique butterflyfish and the hedgehog butterflyfish

These two will always remain a dream fish for me, dun think we will even see it for sale...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp