OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• SRC Member

Hi Dr Gill,

It's awesome to have you here! An expert on board to clear our doubts and myths in dottybacks!

This collare pic that i attached from fishbase looks quite different from those i posted. In Jack Randall picture below it is more brownish and lack a yellow tail.

attachicon.gifcollare.jpg

Whereas in this pic i below i posted earlier, the fish appears more pinkish and has a translucent yellow tail.

attachicon.gifcollare2.jpg

Since you said both are the same species, which is collare, does collare has two color forms? One brown one pink?

Or is it just the photo quality that caused the color difference?

The sort of differences you point out are within the range of variation I've found in other Pseudoplesiops. Aside from your photos, the only others I have are from Flores and Misool (the latter in Gerry Allen and Mark Erdmann's Reef Fishes of the East Indies). There is always the possibility that your fish actually represents a different (thus new) species, and the distribution of other pseudochromid species would lend support to that possibility. I would need to examine specimens (and perhaps more photos) before I could make judgement on that.

http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/dottybacks/electric-indigo/

ORA has produced yet another new specimen!

This time round, its an improved version of their popular hybrid, the Indigo Dottyback (P.fridmani x sankeyi).

Instead of the old colouration, this improved version has a 3 toned body; a more intense indigo banding running along the dorsal region, more intense black band and whiter abdomen as compared to the old hybrid which was first bred in 2006.

Looking forward to see some specimens of their new project (including the E.gravieri) in our local LFS ! :thumbsup:

post-2961-0-90232400-1392390374_thumb.jp

post-2961-0-05114600-1392390537_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

This time round, its an improved version of their popular hybrid, the Indigo Dottyback (P.fridmani x sankeyi).

Instead of the old colouration, this improved version has a 3 toned body; a more intense indigo banding running along the dorsal region, more intense black band and whiter abdomen as compared to the old hybrid which was first bred in 2006.

Looking forward to see some specimens of their new project (including the E.gravieri) in our local LFS ! :thumbsup:

very stunning indigo 2.0!

Gorgeous! Yes hope to see some in our next ORA shipment!

• SRC Member

so extremely cryptic. the dead photos are also so bad and rotten!

C. bibulus is nice and has potential to look amazing!! black striped.

I agree with you on the dead photos! It was a shame because the original photos weren't too bad ... just bad scanning and production. I think almost all of the species have high potential as aquarium fish. Even the apparently drab ones have attractive attributes, like subtle spots of bright red or pink. My favourite species is Chlidichthy clibanarius. If anyone is interested, you can download my paper for free here: http://www.saiab.ac.za/bookshop

• SRC Member

Cheers from Chicago guys. This thread is amazing. I was up until 5AM reading through it.

We just got a couple of these weird red-tailed dottybacks in, alongside a more typically-colored specimen. I agree that they're not P. flammicauda. I haven't heard back from Dr Gill on this yet, but I'm pretty confident this will turn out to be a variant of a somewhat common species. The opercular markings are the giveaway.

3qjptyj.jpg

I'm not sure if ever responded on this. This is Pseudochromis dilectus. Pseudochromis flammicauda is a very different fish.

Tony