OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• SRC Member

From what i know, the Sacura speciosa, Sacura Parva were all dead within two nights. The liopropoma lunulatum was sent to europe and is not having swim bladder problem and most likely wont survive. The fate of that piece of Bodianus Masudai is unknown for the moment.

Here are two more deepwater manado fishes they photographed:

Odontanthias Chrysostictus

attachicon.gif20110610222017.jpg

This one i dunno wat it is. Someone who knows pls tell me!

attachicon.gif20110610221903.jpg

It's a bit hard to tell what the lower photo is as it's obscured. However, I'm pretty confident it's a type of sandperch called Ryukyupercis gushikeni. There's a photograph of it here: http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/2938

• SRC Member

I'm not quite sure what's the exact name for this goby.

I'm leaning towards Priolepis borea. But it does look like P. cincta too.

anyway whatever it is, it's related to the popular "full moon, or white tiger goby or nocturnal goby" (Priolepis nocturna). Same genus.

Thanks M3MORPH for bringing this rare little fish in. I hope it does well with my P. nocturna.

been awhile since i last saw this. i think reborn brought in some before

This appears to be P. semidoliata.

• SRC Member

Dr gill thank you so much for your expertise here, and for replying posts that have lie unanswered for years.

That gymneleotris has gone un identified for too long!

No problem - I enjoyed going through the past posts looking for unknowns. And please, just call me Tony!

• SRC Member

digi, this will make a FINE addition to your rosae dottyback.

seriously no idea wat dottyback is this but look at the tail!

taken from the great barrier reef.

This is a Great Barrier Reef endemic called Oxycercichthys veliferus. Based on my early studies, some books and websites put the species in Ogiblyina, but I later decided it was not closely related to the three species of Ogilbyina and instead erected a new genus for it in my 2004 revision of the Pseudochrominae. It was originally described as a species of Pseudochromis by Dr Roger Lubbock. (Lubbock had worked on pseudochromids up until his death in 1981. Alasdair Edwards and I named the genus Lubbockichthys after him.)

• SRC Member

whole plethora of unusual and rare dottybacks.

but some are quite ugly.

From left to right: Chlidichthys inornatus, Pseudochromis ammeri, Pseudochromis flammicauda, Lubbockichthys new species, Pseudochromis caudalis, Pseudochromis persicus, and Pseudochromis nigrovittatus.

• SRC Member

Unidentified fish. Anyone know wat fish is this?

Lubbockichthys new species ... usually incorrectly identified as Pseudoplesiops rosae (a very different fish - brown or green to bright red or yellow, usually with a dark marking behing the eye, with large scales).

• Senior Reefer

Invaluable help again tony! Some of the posts you've replied dated back so many years ago. It's nostalgic. Regarding Pseudoplesiops rosae, Do you have a picture showing one alive or in true colour? The pink one with the yellow head is being spread around and known as Rosae to is aquarist, and even fish base depicts this as the species. Could you help to clear the confusion?

• SRC Member

Tony, the one with the black head looks like a distant cousin of the grinssingeri goby

Triplefins superficially resemble gobies, but they are more closely related to blennies. The family (Tripterygiidae) includes a lot of small species that are highly suitable for aquaria, but they rarely turn up in the trade. I have a local eastern Australian species in my tank at the moment: http://www.fishesofaustralia.net.au/Home/species/16

• SRC Member

Invaluable help again tony! Some of the posts you've replied dated back so many years ago. It's nostalgic. Regarding Pseudoplesiops rosae, Do you have a picture showing one alive or in true colour? The pink one with the yellow head is being spread around and known as Rosae to is aquarist, and even fish base depicts this as the species. Could you help to clear the confusion?

As far as I can tell, the confusion originates from some of Rudie Kuiter's guides, but has spread everywhere now. It is remarkable as the species are completely unalike. True P. rosae is a relatively chubby little fish with much larger scales (around 30, counting from the top of the gill opening to the base of the tail, versus 50 or more in Lubbockichthys species). There are photos of real P. rosae on the internet, though they are often jumbled in with one or more Lubbockichthys species (or sometimes other odd things, like juvenile Pseudochromis!). Here are some to show the diversity of coloration in the species: http://www.fishwisepro.com/Pictures/details.aspx?Zoom=True&SId=60658&PictureId=2; http://research.kahaku.go.jp/zoology/Fishes_of_Andaman_Sea/contents/pseudochromidae/03.html; http://www.fishwisepro.com/pictures/default.aspx?Fid=404&seoctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_dv=page4

Although I provided some details for Gerry Allen and Mark Erdmann's pseudochromid account for their three-volume "Reef Fishes of the East Indies", I never saw the species accounts before it went to press. Unfortunately there are several errors, and their photograph of P. rosae is actually P. annae. Their photo of Lubbockichthys multisquamatus is also wrong; it's either the new species from Cebu that's usually called P. rosae, or a closely related new species. (I'm still undecided whether the Cebu species is only found there, or whether it's more wide-ranging.)

Hope this helps!

• SRC Member

Trinorfolkia sp.

aka emerald blenny. lck came 2 that day and i bought 1 but it died on the way home in the bag. sad.gif

You were misled on this one. This is a clinid rather than a tripterygiid. I'm not sure of the genus, but it looks like either Springeratus or Heteroclinus. Most are from relatively cool waters, which is perhaps why it died in the bag on the way home.

• SRC Member

so nice? what is this.

Pseudotrichonotus altivelis. Despite looking like a sand diver, it's more closely related to lizardfishes, and the genus is placed in its own family (Pseudotrichonotidae). There are two described species in the family: P. altivelis from Japan and P. xanthotaenia from the western Indian Ocean. Two specimens of the genus were recently collected off Western Australia, and I am currently studying them to see if they represent a third species.