OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

• SRC Member

Where to get this fish? Damn cute

Posted Image

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Where to get this fish? Damn cute

Mowbrayi basslet came in a few times last year.

It is still available through order from Iwarna, but recently it has become very rare and expensive from the same supplier due to scarcity in the wild.

• SRC Member

What is the estimated price for the mowbrayi basslet?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

• SRC Member

Wow. ....its for the wealthy

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

It's a bit hard to tell from this photo, but it looks like it might be the undescribed Pseudoplesiops from Cebu. Any idea where it was collected?

If i am not wrong it should be from Java Indonesia.

Indeed it is the same species as the pseudoplesiops species i posted earlier.

Hi Dr Gill,

Can you confirm if these are Pictichromis ephippiata?

Picture from Dejong. They labelled them as Ephippiata. My first thought was they are diadema aberrations, however i couldn't find any ephippiata pic online to confirm my guess.

Pls help!

post-10328-0-38828600-1398915094_thumb.j

Rare and gorgeous hawaiian flame angels!! Hawaiian flame angels are very rare and are redder and have thinner black stripes.

hawa.jpg

Hawaiian.jpg

Hwyn_FlameAngel_001.jpg

Intense red colorations and the thinner black stripes are so contrasting!

So much more interesting than even the Marshall Islands specimens

Hi Dr Gill,

Can you confirm if these are Pictichromis ephippiata?

Picture from Dejong. They labelled them as Ephippiata. My first thought was they are diadema aberrations, however i couldn't find any ephippiata pic online to confirm my guess.

Pls help!

attachicon.gifPictichromis ephippiata.jpg

I would say these are not ephippiata, Though it would be interesting to know exactly where these specimens came from. Could these be a hybrid of ephippiata/paccagnellae? Or are these even legitimate species? This whole group of dottybacks could use some extensive genetic testing.

Here's a photo of ephippiata by Dr Randall, taken from Allen & Erdmann 2012. The yellow saddle is much reduced and more sharply defined. "Ephippium" is Greek for "saddle cloth".

c1WEDMW.jpg

• SRC Member

I would say these are not ephippiata, Though it would be interesting to know exactly where these specimens came from. Could these be a hybrid of ephippiata/paccagnellae? Or are these even legitimate species? This whole group of dottybacks could use some extensive genetic testing.

Here's a photo of ephippiata by Dr Randall, taken from Allen & Erdmann 2012. The yellow saddle is much reduced and more sharply defined. "Ephippium" is Greek for "saddle cloth".

c1WEDMW.jpg

Sorry about the delay in responding on this. Yes, I agree they do not appear to be P. ephippiatus, and I would instead identify them as P. diadema. I have seen a huge range of variation in the latter species, from specimens with extensive purple coverage as in the photos, to more-or-less straight yellow ones. I base my identifications on such specimens partly because of where they come from (within the range of P. diadema). However, OldTownJoe is correct in saying that there is a need for more detailed study of Pictichromis. It is indeed possible that P. ephippiatus is a hybrid between P. porphyrea and P. "paccagnellae", though at the time I described the species I felt that was unlikely because multiple specimens of different sizes were observed at the type locality. That aside, there is also the tricky problem of whether P. dinah is really a good species ... and if so what it should be called. There are two problems: the coloration differences that supposedly separate P. dinah from P. paccagnellae are within the range of variation shown by P. paccagnellae from throughout its range; secondly, Axelrod's original description of P. paccagnellae was based on aquarium specimens from Indonesia with no detailed locality, so it's possible they are actually conspecific with P. dinah rather than P. "paccagnellae." On top of all this, my morphological studies suggested that P. paccagnellae from the eastern part of the range (Solomons, Vanuatu, New Guinea) are distinct from those from Indonesia and the NW Shelf of Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

More rarities at Dejong

Peppermint Angel

post-10328-0-93140200-1400678530_thumb.j

Juvenile Kingi Angel

post-10328-0-09434200-1400678537_thumb.j

Deepwater japanese dragonet ( Foetorepus Altivelis)

post-10328-0-57280600-1400678639_thumb.j

Atavai Pencil Wrasse Pair

post-10328-0-92752700-1400678557_thumb.j

Whitetail Bristletooth Tang

post-10328-0-57538100-1400678549_thumb.j

Neatypus Obliquus

post-10328-0-52909100-1400678543_thumb.j

CB Clarion angel

post-10328-0-38716000-1400678565_thumb.j

More rarities at Dejong

Peppermint Angel

attachicon.gifparacentropyge-boylei.jpg

Juvenile Kingi Angel

attachicon.gifapolemichthys-kingi.jpg

Deepwater japanese dragonet ( Foetorepus Altivelis)

attachicon.giffoetorepus-altivelis.jpg

Atavai Pencil Wrasse Pair

attachicon.gifpseudojuloides-atavai-pair.jpg

Whitetail Bristletooth Tang

attachicon.gifctenochaetus-flavicauda.jpg

Neatypus Obliquus

attachicon.gifneatypus-obliquus.jpg

CB Clarion angel

attachicon.gifholacanthus-clarionensis.jpg

The Juv kingi, peppermint and C.flavicauda are going to be exhibited at their booth during Interzoo 2014, as well as with a few other special fish :wub:

I think its the first time the trade has ever encountered such a small specimen.

The C.flavicauda is equally amazing, must be eye-opening to witness it in real! I guess its the wow factor but some say the price to fork out for a bristletooth is too much...

Lastly, the CB clarions. I guess we all know the source! haha. And it looks to be quite successful!

The Juv kingi, peppermint and C.flavicauda are going to be exhibited at their booth during Interzoo 2014, as well as with a few other special fish :wub:

I think its the first time the trade has ever encountered such a small specimen.

The C.flavicauda is equally amazing, must be eye-opening to witness it in real! I guess its the wow factor but some say the price to fork out for a bristletooth is too much...

Lastly, the CB clarions. I guess we all know the source! haha. And it looks to be quite successful!

Perhaps in their whole exhibition the most special fish other than the juvi kingi got to be the Foetorepus Altivelis!

If i am there i would take lots of picture of this very rare and deepwater dragonet of Japan.

This is the first time a juvi kingi entered the trade but the second one caught and kept alive in the hobby.

This little juvi kingi was too widely reported and publicised for its collector's own good.

I have seen flavicauda tang during my visit in Japan. It is a nice tang and not alot more expensive than other bristletooth like the chevron tang. It will be a very popular fish when it comes.

Juvi clarions are becoming more available thanks to these captive bred batch and the collector going after smaller wild specimens. However the price of CB juvi clarions is not any cheaper than the WC ones. For the price to fork out, i would still go for WC ones which will not run risk of having captive bred deformities.