OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Here are two other videos.

Tonnes of thompsoni anthias and several chromis struhsakeri. At the background you also see some chromis verater and a hawaiian morwong (Goniistisus Vittatus) and a bandit angel

Ultra rare hawaiian Bodianus Bathycapros and Capradon Unicolor (These will make stunning public aquarium specimens)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Reefer

A series of SUPER RARE endemic fishes to triton bay and cenderawasih bay!

Pseudochromis jamali!!! a curious dotty back that looks like Chromis retrofasciata. who is imitating who?

Also Paracheilinus nursalim, Cirrhilabrus cenderawasih, Paracheilinus walton and Eviota raja.

post-15755-0-40840300-1412870917_thumb.j

post-15755-0-02148800-1412870918_thumb.j

post-15755-0-66234400-1412870918.jpg

post-15755-0-68985900-1412870919.jpg

post-15755-0-20152100-1412870920.jpg

post-15755-0-78009300-1412870920.jpg

• Senior Reefer
That's Manonichthys jamali, not Pseudochromis. Some of the other Manonichthys species are also mimics. For example, M. paranox is a mimic of Centropyge nox - even has the odd flicky way of swimming.
Thanks! Too exited. Yes manonichthys jamali

Here some of the rare fish in my tank ^^ - all from De Jong - sorry, i am not the best photographer :-)

pseudanthias calloura - group of female:

2014_10_11_16_18_22.jpg

pseudanthias aurulentus:

Bildschirmfoto_2014_09_29_um_15_09_51.pn

Pseudanthias ventralis:

Bildschirmfoto_2014_09_29_um_14_50_36.pn

Terelabrus rubrovittatus:

Bildschirmfoto_2014_09_29_um_14_49_20.pn

Rabaulichthys stigmaticus:

2014_08_22_18_40_03.jpg

2014_09_16_11_36_49.jpg

Lubbockichthys multisquamatus:

Bildschirmfoto_2014_09_29_um_14_49_41.pn

Pseudanthias hutomoi:

2014_08_22_18_41_15.jpg

Pseudoplesiops rosae:

2014_02_10_21_33_41.jpg

Hope you like them ^^

• SRC Member

Here some of the rare fish in my tank ^^ - all from De Jong - sorry, i am not the best photographer :-)

2014_10_11_16_18_22.jpg

pseudanthias aurulentus:

Pseudanthias ventralis:

2014_08_22_18_40_03.jpg

2014_09_16_11_36_49.jpg

Pseudanthias hutomoi:

2014_08_22_18_41_15.jpg

Pseudoplesiops rosae:

2014_02_10_21_33_41.jpg

Hope you like them ^^

nice fishes you got there! how long have you had the ventrails anthais?

pseudanthias aurulentus:

Pseudanthias ventralis:

Pseudanthias hutomoi:

Pseudoplesiops rosae:

Hope you like them ^^

I love your choice of fishes. They are beautiful and yet not overly expensive (except for the calloura maybe). Some of them are rare and uncommon finds like terelabrus and "rosae".

However, quite a number of your fishes are very challenging to keep alive for most hobbyists. For example aurulentus, ventralis, Raubaulichtys and calloura. I have tried them all and realised that they need heavy feeding to sustain long term. Mine all slowly die off one by one. They feed but still get thinner overtime. The typical "eat-but-not-eat-enough" anthias problem.

Pls continue to update us especially on how well the ventralis anthias they do long term so that we can learn from your experience. And bigger picture pls next time so we can all enjoy the beauty of your fishes without having to squint our eyes!.

Hi, i set the temperature to 23,5°C (74,3°F) - feeding is very important, i feed 6x / day - sometimes more.

The aurulentus and the Raubaulichtys are quiet easy i would say, have them in the tank since 5-6 month and they doing really good.

But i found out, as soon as the temperature is a bid higher they didn´t eat well .. so i think this is one of the main raisons why they can make

problems.

Are the images to small? No idea why, but in my view they look like all other in the tread .. ?

I will let you know in some month how all doing.

oh and yes, they all not to expensive, just the aurulentus and the calloura are very pricey here in europe ..

aurulentus - 350€/ each and the calloura 2.000€ / trio - sounds not to much, but if you see that you should have a group..

I first bought 3 aurulentus to see if i can handle them and 3 weeks later 7 more ^^

If everything works i will buy the last 5 available ones from De Jong next month too :-) crossing fingers

here some more images of my aurulentus from yesterday:

2014_10_12_17_11_55.jpg

2014_10_12_17_10_15.jpg

Gorgeous. I sell callouras for only a fraction of the price in Europe & it is still viewed as expensive. Rare marine fish hard to move, few people willing to pay. Amazingly local fish hobbyists are willing to spend on common fish like monster fish, arowanas or koi. Something I can never understand. The marine hobby here is still not progressing much, very unfortunate.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Cos FW lovers do not have that many alternative choice of fishes compare to marine in term of colour. For the price of one bandit i can easily buy twenty other types of fish with diff colours shapes characters etc. That why most reefers will vote with their money on varieties

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

2014_10_11_16_18_22.jpg

pseudanthias aurulentus:

Pseudanthias ventralis:

2014_08_22_18_40_03.jpg

2014_09_16_11_36_49.jpg

Pseudanthias hutomoi:

2014_08_22_18_41_15.jpg

Pseudoplesiops rosae:

2014_02_10_21_33_41.jpg

Hope you like them ^^

Your Pseudoplesiops rosae and Lubbockichthys multisquamatus appear to be two of my new species of Lubbockichthys. It's hard to be sure though, without seeing side-on views. I've almost completed my paper revising this genus (and am chipping away on a revision of Pseudoplesiops at the same time), and am hoping to submit it for publication later this year. Once it comes out, I might write a contribution for this group on the various species. (At this stage I'm recognising six species in Lubbockichthys, three of which are new. I'm struggling a bit with species limits in Pseudoplesiops, but there are at least 10 in that genus.)

Tony

• Like 2

• Senior Reefer

Your Pseudoplesiops rosae and Lubbockichthys multisquamatus appear to be two of my new species of Lubbockichthys. It's hard to be sure though, without seeing side-on views. I've almost completed my paper revising this genus (and am chipping away on a revision of Pseudoplesiops at the same time), and am hoping to submit it for publication later this year. Once it comes out, I might write a contribution for this group on the various species. (At this stage I'm recognising six species in Lubbockichthys, three of which are new. I'm struggling a bit with species limits in Pseudoplesiops, but there are at least 10 in that genus.)

Tony

please do share with us your new publication.

and finally we can put to rest this horrifying conundrum of pseudoplesiops vs lubbockichthys.

oh and yes, they all not to expensive, just the aurulentus and the calloura are very pricey here in europe ..

aurulentus - 350€/ each and the calloura 2.000€ / trio - sounds not to much, but if you see that you should have a group..

I first bought 3 aurulentus to see if i can handle them and 3 weeks later 7 more ^^

If everything works i will buy the last 5 available ones from De Jong next month too :-) crossing fingers

here some more images of my aurulentus from yesterday:

The aurulentus is pricier because i believe they are from Coral Sea collected by Cairns Marine. They are different from the central pacific aurulentus that we used to get.

In fact i feel these coral sea "aurulentus" could likely be a new species!!

Tony

It really upsets me when the fish i have been identifying as Lubbockicthys Multisquamtus and Pseudoplesiops Rosae are actually wrong and are undescribed.

Both are common in our hobby for years and it irritates me that they are still Lubbockicthys Sp.!!

I am relieved to hear that your paper is almost done. Pls share with us here. Time to end all the confusion surrounding these Lubbockicthys Sp.!!

Hi, i set the temperature to 23,5°C (74,3°F) - feeding is very important, i feed 6x / day - sometimes more.

The aurulentus and the Raubaulichtys are quiet easy i would say, have them in the tank since 5-6 month and they doing really good.

But i found out, as soon as the temperature is a bid higher they didn´t eat well .. so i think this is one of the main raisons why they can make

problems.

Are the images to small? No idea why, but in my view they look like all other in the tread .. ?

I will let you know in some month how all doing.

23.5 degree is a very low temperature to keep your fish. Singapore climate is hot year round. Maintaing at 23.5 degree in our tropical climate means 24-7 condensation of glass surface and high electricity bill. Not feasible long term. As such most reefers here keep their tanks between 25 deg to 28 deg.

• SRC Member

The aurulentus is pricier because i believe they are from Coral Sea collected by Cairns Marine. They are different from the central pacific aurulentus that we used to get.

In fact i feel these coral sea "aurulentus" could likely be a new species!!

It really upsets me when the fish i have been identifying as Lubbockicthys Multisquamtus and Pseudoplesiops Rosae are actually wrong and are undescribed.

Both are common in our hobby for years and it irritates me that they are still Lubbockicthys Sp.!!

I am relieved to hear that your paper is almost done. Pls share with us here. Time to end all the confusion surrounding these Lubbockicthys Sp.!!

Sorry, but Lubbockichthys has been a challenging genus to sort out ... and it's just me doing the legwork. (That's the case for all of the pseudochromids - I've described around 1/3 of the 150 species, plus sorted out the identification of all the previously described species.) One of the main problems has been deciding which species to associate the name L. multisquamatus with. The holotype is somewhat intermediate between two species in some characters. It's interesting that you say they are both common, as that's not the case as far as museum specimens go. (I'm aware of only six specimens of one of the species.) As for the Pseudoplesiops rosae confusion - that's because aquarists and divers have depended on popular field guides rather than going to the more comprehensive treatments. I published a key to species of Pseudoplesiops in a readily available resource 15 years ago, which clarified the identity of P. rosae. In any case, I'll keep you posted on the progress of the paper. At this stage I anticipate it will come out around May next year.