OMG! Look at these hybrids and rare fishes!

Very nice. Especially the clown

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

This might be of interest to some of you - particularly the schools of Trachinops taeniatus. It's photographed immediately north of Sydney Harbour. I used to snorkel there a lot when I lived in Sydeny in the late 1980s. I see the same species where I now live, about 60 km farther north. https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/streetview/oceans/shelly-beach-sydney-australia/HQSORBv7gGwAAAQYfefWPA?gl=us&heading=356&pitch=81&fovy=75&utm_content=buffer5b57a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#!view/streetview/oceans/shelly-beach-sydney-australia/HQSORBv7gGwAAAQYfefWPA?gl=us&heading=0&pitch=81&fovy=75&utm_content=buffer5b57a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

This might be of interest to some of you - particularly the schools of Trachinops taeniatus. It's photographed immediately north of Sydney Harbour. I used to snorkel there a lot when I lived in Sydeny in the late 1980s. I see the same species where I now live, about 60 km farther north. https://www.google.com/maps/views/view/streetview/oceans/shelly-beach-sydney-australia/HQSORBv7gGwAAAQYfefWPA?gl=us&heading=356&pitch=81&fovy=75&utm_content=buffer5b57a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer#!view/streetview/oceans/shelly-beach-sydney-australia/HQSORBv7gGwAAAQYfefWPA?gl=us&heading=0&pitch=81&fovy=75&utm_content=buffer5b57a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Trachinops taeniatus is a beautiful fish! However the wild harvested ones don't do well in our tropical climate. I am not sure if they are poor shippers, but those that came in last time were mostly in bad condition.

However thanks to ORA, this beautiful species has now been captive bred! See http://www.orafarm.com/products/fish/other/eastern-hulafish/

• SRC Member

Trachinops taeniatus doesn't always handle all that well, but are usually pretty tough once they are settled in. Hopefully the ORA ones are better suited. I suspect they may try to get hold of the red and yellow form of the species. I've seen a few of them, mostly in northern NSW. They look like this: http://portstephensmarinelife.weebly.com/uploads/6/1/2/5/6125720/8772426_orig.jpg

Wah thanks Dr Gill! I did not know there are two color forms to Trachinops taeniatus.

Pic here for comparison

Normal form

post-10328-0-19219300-1416626422.jpg

Red and yellow form

post-10328-0-26803000-1416626431_thumb.j

Is it a locality variant? Or is it just aberrations in few individuals?

I have yet to see the red and yellow form in the trade.

• Senior Reefer

Wah thanks Dr Gill! I did not know there are two color forms to Trachinops taeniatus.

Pic here for comparison

Normal form

attachicon.gifnormal.jpg

Red and yellow form

attachicon.gifred and yellow form.jpg

Is it a locality variant? Or is it just aberrations in few individuals?

I have yet to see the red and yellow form in the trade.

in Queenlands, the normal form is the model for Plagiotremus tapeinosoma, which has a colour form very similar to the hula fish.