Mushrooms eaten by sand???

kthc

• SRC Member

Anyone has this experience before, where the 'sand' crawls up the rocks and slowly bites off pieces of mushroom?

Had a mushroom which was slowly bitten off and suspected the newly added hermit crab or orange-spotted goby but this is the 2nd time i see this sand trail and another mushroom is being bitten bit by bit.

I thought it was the trail of a snail but its not. Not slimy and disintegrates when touched. There may be a hint of a thin shell but can't really confirm without a microscope.

Used a pincer to pluck off what I can but anyone with a better idea? Some worm???

post-4762-1225282120.jpgpost-4762-1225282440.jpg

post-4762-1225282509.jpg

• SRC Member

Think an animal might have crawl over like a sea hare maybe?They love to scatter sand all over my tank.If you own one think might be that.Or some other animals if you don't have a sea hare.

girlone.png

• SRC Member

my nassarius snail leave a trail like this behind as well.. could be spagetti worms.. but both harmless..

im oso having such stuffs....bt dunno wats tat...the sand seems to stick 2gether to form a trail (juz like the pic)...tried to wash it under water bt it doesnt disintegrate nor slimy.....there's once i drop my small pc of sucker (dunno how to call tat...a black black round round ting tat is being used to stick my betta box in the tank) into the bottom of the tank, den i oso lazy to take it out...after a few days, tat black tinggy was attached to a LR by tis sand tinggy, dangling...

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

my nassarius snail leave a trail like this behind as well.. could be spagetti worms.. but both harmless..

hmm bt if it is a trail, the sand shouldnt stick 2gether rite?

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

• SRC Member

Hi All,

Yongshun description sounds like mine. No sea cuke, anemone nor sea hare… did suspect it could be from a snail but the latest trail had it going into a hole, which is too small for a snail shell to go into.

This thing actually took bites off my mushroom, so it’s a living organism. Another possibility is it’s a wormhole or tunnel created & used by something….

Hi All,

Yongshun description sounds like mine. No sea cuke, anemone nor sea hare… did suspect it could be from a snail but the latest trail had it going into a hole, which is too small for a snail shell to go into.

This thing actually took bites off my mushroom, so it’s a living organism. Another possibility is it’s a wormhole or tunnel created & used by something….

ya...bt mine doesnt lead to my corals n they r nt affected..the trails juz lead towards my LR or in the middle of substrate to no where... :unsure:

Linked tank
My decommed 3 ft setup

Anyone has this experience before, where the 'sand' crawls up the rocks and slowly bites off pieces of mushroom?

Had a mushroom which was slowly bitten off and suspected the newly added hermit crab or orange-spotted goby but this is the 2nd time i see this sand trail and another mushroom is being bitten bit by bit.

I thought it was the trail of a snail but its not. Not slimy and disintegrates when touched. There may be a hint of a thin shell but can't really confirm without a microscope.

Used a pincer to pluck off what I can but anyone with a better idea? Some worm???

post-4762-1225282120.jpgpost-4762-1225282440.jpg

post-4762-1225282509.jpg

Yep, it's the worms (dunno the name). They have a survival instinct to camouflage by covering themselves with sand. Mine most active late in the night, but I was slow in catching them, shrunk back into the rocks in a slit second! Dunno if any relation to the tube worms, but I doubt so. <_<

• SRC Member
Yep, it's the worms (dunno the name). They have a survival instinct to camouflage by covering themselves with sand. Mine most active late in the night, but I was slow in catching them, shrunk back into the rocks in a slit second! Dunno if any relation to the tube worms, but I doubt so. <_<

Thanks bro. Since I've cleared away the trail, the injured mushroom is blooming again:)

Thanks bro. Since I've cleared away the trail, the injured mushroom is blooming again:)

tats great to know! :)

Linked tank