Something's dragging my corals around

MbmC

• SRC Member

The last few days I've had my 4" rock of zoas, my 3" suncoral, and my 5" GSPs dragged from the front of my tank, to the back of my tank, 2' away, and deposited into a crevice/hole.

What can possibly be doing that? I've got the usual reef fish, gobies, turban snails, 2 seahares, 2 sally light feet crabs, and at least 1 nuisance crab, 2 sand dollars, 1 sand sifter. Can't imagine what could be doing this.

Worms?

• SRC Member

can drag a 5" coral.. seem big bro.. are ur corals all on sandbed..?

pray its not a bobbit worm.. mine used to drag corals to cover its cave entrance..

• Moderators

Can be a crab. I had 1 which is now nearly 2", it look like those black crab we eat. It come out only after lights are out and very difficult to spot.

Still trying to kill it... been trying for nearly a year... coz need to wake up in the middle of the night to hunt for it. :(

Tom

• SRC Member
Can be a crab. I had 1 which is now nearly 2", it look like those black crab we eat. It come out only after lights are out and very difficult to spot.

Still trying to kill it... been trying for nearly a year... coz need to wake up in the middle of the night to hunt for it. :(

Very difficult to catch these crabs...coz the minute u approach the tank, they hide inside the holes in the rocks.

But i am ok with them, coz they eat the wastes on the sandbed and on the rocks.

So long they dun become as big as sri lankan crabs, then have to cook them liao..haha.. :D

l7304smr.jpg

The last few days I've had my 4" rock of zoas, my 3" suncoral, and my 5" GSPs dragged from the front of my tank, to the back of my tank, 2' away, and deposited into a crevice/hole.

What can possibly be doing that? I've got the usual reef fish, gobies, turban snails, 2 seahares, 2 sally light feet crabs, and at least 1 nuisance crab, 2 sand dollars, 1 sand sifter. Can't imagine what could be doing this.

Worms?

Quite Sure it's crab. Mine gonio was moved about 15mm from the original position. I saw a hairy crab with body size measuring abt 20mm near it in a particular nite.

• Moderators
Very difficult to catch these crabs...coz the minute u approach the tank, they hide inside the holes in the rocks.

But i am ok with them, coz they eat the wastes on the sandbed and on the rocks.

So long they dun become as big as sri lankan crabs, then have to cook them liao..haha.. :D

In fact i gave up catching the fellow liao. It seem to have stop the destruction lately. But had been feeding on my coraline algae.. in fact all algaes on the rock. BUt then the rock is getting trimmed at the same time and getting smaller in the area the fellow is "pinching". <_<

I hope it doesn't become the Sri Lanka type thou. :pinch:

Tom

• SRC Member

Hmm...

I've got 2 culprits then.

2 Hairy crabs and 1 pistol shrimp in my tank. Could be anyone of them

My corals some on sandbed. This bugger seems to be trying to cover up it's cave. Possibly the pistol shrimp then, coz it's made it's home at the back of my rocks.

The rock of zoas 4-5" big, but quite light, porous rock. But the suncoral is solid rock leh, rather heavy.

Just hope it's not a bobbitt worm then...

• SRC Member

I had one of those before. But I was lucky cos, it moved to a rock which was easily removed at the top of the rock scape, and I spotted it. Rock was removed with the crab inside. hehehe

I knew a reefer who had a crab that moved quite a few of his priced zoas to the back of the tank. Kinda like trying to decorate its cave. :lol:

Member of:

n34281892381_7606.jpg

I had one of those before. But I was lucky cos, it moved to a rock which was easily removed at the top of the rock scape, and I spotted it. Rock was removed with the crab inside. hehehe

I knew a reefer who had a crab that moved quite a few of his priced zoas to the back of the tank. Kinda like trying to decorate its cave. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: That's a smart fella! Interior home deco! :lol::lol::lol:

• Moderators

In fact, this is the 2nd one.

The first one was a greyish crab almost the same size. He was too busy "decorating" his home and trapped itself in his home. I just use my paring knife and stabbed to death.. :lol::lol::lol:

Tom

• SRC Member

Hmm...that's exactly like what happened to me! That colony, which is now broken into 2, was my favourite zoas!!!

• 1 month later...