Nano Reef inspired from www.nano-reef.com

TayHongSiang

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Latest addition: Fire Coral

(taken from www.reefkeeping.com - All Fire corals are calcareous hydrozoans and belong to the genus, Millepora. The other calcareous hydrozoans, including the azooxanthellate lace corals, species of Stylaster and Distichopora, are closely related to Millepora, but are put into a different taxonomic group. Being hydrozoans rather than anthozoans, Millepora are not true stony corals, although their abundance does allow them to be a major contributor to reef structure and sediments. Fire corals are found in tropical seas, worldwide, predominantly on reef crests and in shallow waters subject to high water movement. For an unknown reason, they are conspicuously absent from the reefs of Hawaii. Rapid proliferation by fragmentation allows rapid growth and encrustation of Millepora on the windward reef crests. Upright branching and vertical plating growth forms are found in areas removed from severe wave action.)

Fire_coral.pdf

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Latest addition: Fire Coral

(taken from www.reefkeeping.com - All Fire corals are calcareous hydrozoans and belong to the genus, Millepora. The other calcareous hydrozoans, including the azooxanthellate lace corals, species of Stylaster and Distichopora, are closely related to Millepora, but are put into a different taxonomic group. Being hydrozoans rather than anthozoans, Millepora are not true stony corals, although their abundance does allow them to be a major contributor to reef structure and sediments. Fire corals are found in tropical seas, worldwide, predominantly on reef crests and in shallow waters subject to high water movement. For an unknown reason, they are conspicuously absent from the reefs of Hawaii. Rapid proliferation by fragmentation allows rapid growth and encrustation of Millepora on the windward reef crests. Upright branching and vertical plating growth forms are found in areas removed from severe wave action.)

why is ur fire coral so pink? is it dyed?

• Senior Reefer
Its that pink lo....dun know whether jiireh still have. Give them a call. Comes in S,M,L sizes.

oo. i think its natural. saw it before in a book. Its very nice. maybe thinking of getting one. becareful of dyed corals or anemones....if you see yellow anemones anywhere, dun buy.. its dyed. they put colour. have seen it in some fish shops.... i ever bought a dyed cup coral and it died. i think ur fire coral is naturally pink. very nice specimen :) take good care of it and beware of dyed corals

• SRC Member
oo. i think its natural. saw it before in a book. Its very nice. maybe thinking of getting one. becareful of dyed corals or anemones....if you see yellow anemones anywhere, dun buy.. its dyed. they put colour. have seen it in some fish shops.... i ever bought a dyed cup coral and it died. i think ur fire coral is naturally pink. very nice specimen :) take good care of it and beware of dyed corals

I ever bought a yellow anemone and after one week, dun seem to be doing well and eventually i threw it away.

This is a good close up shot of my orchid brain and my fire coral using canon powershot G10.

Lastly, an overview.

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

post-15124-1233389550.jpg

post-15124-1233389732.jpg

post-15124-1233389849.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

u have very nice blue mushrooms.. and it is a nice open brain as well.. ^_^

but that maroon looks too big for its home :lol:.. just a suggestion hope u dun mind, why not swop the maroon out with a pair of smaller percs.. :)

• SRC Member
u have very nice blue mushrooms.. and it is a nice open brain as well.. ^_^

but that maroon looks too big for its home :lol:.. just a suggestion hope u dun mind, why not swop the maroon out with a pair of smaller percs.. :)

Thanks bro, the mushies are from JH@ west coast which i got them 5 months back. Saw some purple mushies at GO which Lemon had bought one.

You can call GO to see if they still have.

I bought that maroon on impulse. Feel like letting him go at labrador park open waters. Has been with me for 6 months.

l7304smr.jpg

eh bro r u crazy y dun put e algae in ur sump? :pirate:

there is a chance they might go asexual once u turn off e light at nite

then they will release e green toxics in their leafs...

its nt critical but nt healthy for ur corals..

put it somewhere after ur overflow n b4 ur skimmer..

but u nid to hv light on it to keep it going...

• SRC Member
eh bro r u crazy y dun put e algae in ur sump? :pirate:

there is a chance they might go asexual once u turn off e light at nite

then they will release e green toxics in their leafs...

its nt critical but nt healthy for ur corals..

put it somewhere after ur overflow n b4 ur skimmer..

but u nid to hv light on it to keep it going...

O dear..hahaha...ok...i will do that once i m home :shock::shock::shock:

I tot nice put them there.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
I ever bought a yellow anemone and after one week, dun seem to be doing well and eventually i threw it away.

This is a good close up shot of my orchid brain and my fire coral using canon powershot G10.

Lastly, an overview.

Nitrite = 0

Nitrate = 0

The red brain is... :ooh:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
The red brain is... :ooh:

Feeling bored....gonna hunt some gems this coming saturday. Meanwhile took some close shots improve my photo taking skills.

My favia fell onto my open green brain and got injured partially while i was at work, but sad thing is, after one week, my brain start to melt away...

Orchid brain is still around...getting fat and healthy from feeding rotifers.

post-15124-1235486974.jpg

post-15124-1235487067.jpg

post-15124-1235487145.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Feeling bored....gonna hunt some gems this coming saturday. Meanwhile took some close shots improve my photo taking skills.

My favia fell onto my open green brain and got injured partially while i was at work, but sad thing is, after one week, my brain start to melt away...

Orchid brain is still around...getting fat and healthy from feeding rotifers.

nice brain! :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Lobo brain from RB...the exposed skeleton is to trap food...notice the brown looking thingy there...that is to attract fishes or shrimps.

ur lobo looks stress

n e brown part is already injure hw can it use to attract food?

make sure u provide enuff flow else e cyno algae will grow over n deep into e skeleton then u can go shopping again lolx..

• SRC Member
ur lobo looks stress

n e brown part is already injure hw can it use to attract food?

make sure u provide enuff flow else e cyno algae will grow over n deep into e skeleton then u can go shopping again lolx..

Just change its position, thats y look stress. That brown thingy already there when i bought it...strange.

Will be shopping this coming saturday...haha...My mini red prata & fire coral RIP liao.

Intend to stock up more mushies, brains and blastos.

l7304smr.jpg

Wah... Siang,

you collecting blue mushies ah??? so many of them.

(too many liao... you should try to clear some and put into my tank)... haha.

can PM where you got them and $$$?

u got some really nice LPS, love the orchid brain... very colour and big piece.

Consider trading (or give away) your huge clown for a pair of small true perc, think it'll create more space.

nice nano.

decommissioned 2.5x2x2

Videos:

|
|

Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open.

• SRC Member
Wah... Siang,

you collecting blue mushies ah??? so many of them.

(too many liao... you should try to clear some and put into my tank)... haha.

can PM where you got them and $$$?

u got some really nice LPS, love the orchid brain... very colour and big piece.

Consider trading (or give away) your huge clown for a pair of small true perc, think it'll create more space.

nice nano.

The blue mushies are from JM...$35 per rock (5 months with me liao). Initially, purple...because of pro-long T5 lighting, they became blue.

So far, that maroon clown is doing alright...not that aggressive. If you want, you can have it, FOC. Colour is dark red.

l7304smr.jpg