Nano Reef inspired from www.nano-reef.com

TayHongSiang

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
actually its e polluting part which is e juice tht enable micro feeders to feed also... <_<

but depend on hw often u feed also..

I understand...but i prefer my tank to be clean...thats y i m reluctant to feed prawns...less cholesterol also...prawns high cholesterol...lolx :D

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
I understand...but i prefer my tank to be clean...thats y i m reluctant to feed prawns...less cholesterol also...prawns high cholesterol...lolx :D

Haha too much cholestrol but i love them... "sedaps" :paiseh::yeah:

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
You prefer steam, bbq or belachan prawns?

Just to make it simpler ALL!!! LOL :eyebrow:

-skimmer-less-

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

Hi.. i am new to this.. but i have the same 2 ft tank as u.. but i have yet to start.. i dunno what kind of pump to use.. is the 2 following good as the comes with skimmer too..

wei pro protein skimmer 2011 with pump - 30 dollars

with extra skimmer

jebo akimmer with pump 20 dollars

hope to know which pump is suitable for our tank

• SRC Member
Hi.. i am new to this.. but i have the same 2 ft tank as u.. but i have yet to start.. i dunno what kind of pump to use.. is the 2 following good as the comes with skimmer too..

wei pro protein skimmer 2011 with pump - 30 dollars

with extra skimmer

jebo akimmer with pump 20 dollars

hope to know which pump is suitable for our tank

Hi there brother,

Thanks for coming to me for advice. Glad to share with you what my experiences and my knowledge. :D

May i know if you are intending to go for sump system (meaning there will be overflow and yr water gets filtered into another tank usually below) or external cannister filteration? :)

Assuming you are going for sumpless system, both skimmers are not advisable. Why is that so? ok, let me explain...

1. Weipro skimmer 2011 need a powerful pump, at least 2000L/hr to drive it, which means the pump is pretty big and gonna look occupy space in yr tank and make yr tank looks ugly; I have tried it personally, so i m speaking based on experience.

2. Jebo skimmer, hang-on type, splashes water into your tank...definitely a no no :( and will create bubbles in yr water...bad for corals and fishes. And yr floor will be sticky with salt residue.

My advice is this brother, if you are going to start, there are a few suitable skimmers for you to check out:

1. Tunze Doc Skimmer (a bit expensive, but reliable and compact) Reef Depot carry this brand.

2. Aqua C (hard to find this, but it's good for nano)

3. Dymax Nano Skimmer Xp model (affordable) Blk 328 Clementi 24hrs LFS and Reborn carry this.

4. External Skimmers that do not require sump (but rather expensive investment) Aquamarin has a few models.

Asumming you intend to set-up a sump system in future, you can get the weipro 2011 since the pump and skimmer will be in the sump and will be out of sight, so it's ok. Quite reliable for a china brand, but requires weekly maintenance by cleaning the collection cup and the skimmer neck area. Otherwise, not effective.

As for me, i am not using a skimmer at the moment for the past 5 months. I do regular water change every 3 days to keep nutrients low and control algae growth everyday by cleaning the glass walls.

Hope my suggestions helps and not confused you...haha :D

l7304smr.jpg

Hi

Besides many photographs and suggestions given above I would like to share something about a nutritious food.

And not only do they provide important nutrition for humans, but marine phytoplanktons are responsible for making up to 90% of health secure.

Some of the few benefits are :

1. They support a healthy heart with their variety of minerals and vitamins.

2. Clinical tests show that phytoplankton can reduce cholesterol.

3. They are shown to stabilize blood sugar levels.

For more information you can use it and feel the difference.

• SRC Member

any updates??!!! :heh:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
hehe...no B) ...next week will be going down to GO to take a look...

:eyebrow: Buy new gems??

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
yup...have in mind acan and blasto :eyebrow: ...saw lemon's blastos...very nice :eyebrow: ...one big colony..but i tend to change my mind whenever i step into GO.

Ya lor everytime oso like tat one... <_<

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

This is my latest acquisition from GO....a staghorn sps. I am giving a shot to see how difficult sps can be and decide to start off with this less demanding staghorn. The only think is, i am not too sure whether the colour is supposed to be green or brown....keeping my fingers crossed as today is the 3rd day. Polys fully extend when lights are off. Currently, feeding on rotifer and phytoplankton. The placement is right on top of my tank....so when i change water, some of the polyps will be exposed to stimulate low tide. Since, i am running a 3000l/hr wavemaker, must well give it a try...haha.

post-15124-1238377967.jpg

post-15124-1238378063.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
This is my latest acquisition from GO....a staghorn sps. I am giving a shot to see how difficult sps can be and decide to start off with this less demanding staghorn. The only think is, i am not too sure whether the colour is supposed to be green or brown....keeping my fingers crossed as today is the 3rd day. Polys fully extend when lights are off. Currently, feeding on rotifer and phytoplankton. The placement is right on top of my tank....so when i change water, some of the polyps will be exposed to stimulate low tide. Since, i am running a 3000l/hr wavemaker, must well give it a try...haha.

Good luck :lol: Just a note not to point wavemaker directly at the specimen... else tissue will tear and many many probs... :rolleyes:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

thanks for yr advice bro.....ya I placed my waver towards the glass for indirect flow. Tdy came home nearly heart attack...saw lots of detritius greeted in front of me n my SPS start to vomit...my green cleaner wrasse must have caused all these n it died....probably choked....HahaHaha...quickly do a water change and changed new filter wool...wah...crisis....heng now stabilized....phew! Body ache now....

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

wahh....crisis last night....si beh sian....hands itchy...i went to shift my staghorn position, but the epoxy cd not stick...and my staghorn stressed out...keep vomiting milky substance until my whole tank damn cloudy :sick: ....keep changing water until my kitchen floor spratle with salt water...also no use, still cloudy...no choice decided to go and sleep first.

This morning woke up...good thing no fish died and the rest of my corals ok...but my staggie still vomitting...(must have really stressed him out :sick: )

Regret man...should not mendle with it last night and realised the D&D epoxy not strong enough to hold it n also causing my water to be cloudy.

So this morning i took out the staggie and put it in a tub with an air pump and did another 10% water change.

I will be fragging my staggie tonight...realised colony is too big for my tank....any experts here can advice me how to frag it??? :erm:

After that, i will give some away..... B) otherwise my whole tank will be filled with staggies...hahaha...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Will be posting pics tomorrow...

Tonight is Exercise Staggie....

using this methond of using pilers...and stick them directly to my rocks...

U keep 1 small frag and try agn... That's how i do it... :rolleyes:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member
U keep 1 small frag and try agn... That's how i do it... :rolleyes:

Ya..that's was wat i did...just dun know why my epoxy caused my water to be cloudy and my frag keep vomitting milky stuff non-stop...i saw yr tank, u managed to stick yr sps effectively...hai...in the end i just have to dump it..

i used the D&D aquascape...and i cut the purple one and green one and mixed it tog...just dun stick la...n caused my water to be cloudy...

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
Ya..that's was wat i did...just dun know why my epoxy caused my water to be cloudy and my frag keep vomitting milky stuff non-stop...i saw yr tank, u managed to stick yr sps effectively...hai...in the end i just have to dump it..

i used the D&D aquascape...and i cut the purple one and green one and mixed it tog...just dun stick la...n caused my water to be cloudy...

It works 4 me leh... I think its beta den the aquapharm de... water cloudy aft a while will settle lerh... :rolleyes:

-skimmer-less-

Tank parameters:

Camera- EOS 50D