Sad and depressed. =(

yikai

• Senior Reefer

Hi... im feeling very sad and depressed today. this morning i saw my zoas all not doing well.. starting to rot. so i throw all away. my beautiful mushrooms, which are the centerpiece in my tank, also throw coz affected by the rot. i had to remove all my rocks to do a massive water change as the decaying corals stink up my tank.after changing 50% of my tank water, i put back all the rocks. but after trying for 4 hours..... the rock work still looks ugly. Maybe im just not feeling happy, so everything is not looking good to me. After doing all that hard work, i made a big mess on my wooden floors... i faster clean it before my mom came home. Haiz... im just a 17 year old student, not earning money. This hobby sponsored by my family, and also with my savings. Somemore now got recession, business very bad, i dont want to waste my parents hard earn money by quitting.

Im hoping my fishes can handle the 50% water change. I had to do it very quickly otherwise the polluted water killed everything. I did not even let the water age for a few days like i normally would. Now my rock work pales in comparison to the original one....and im feeling so sad, having lost all the corals i bought with my savings... -_- Before going into this hobby, i did tons and tons of research... learning the scientific names of fish, coral, what family they belong to, fish compatibility, everything!! but now i dunno if i should continue or not. This hobby suppose to help me relax.. but in the end i become so stress coz of it.

I made this thread not to let you guys feel sorry for me, i just want to know.... How many of you have had this problem? Tank suddenly crash because of some problem.... Good thing i reacted quickly otherwise all my fish would have died... then i REALLY dunno what to do liao. I would appreciate it if you guys shared how you came back from this terrible experience.....

I think i will put my hobby on temporary hold for now on... need to save summore money to buy new corals. I still need to buy new live rocks to improve my current scaping. its damn ugly and i cant stand it. the more i see it the more depressed i become -.-

• SRC Member
Hi... im feeling very sad and depressed today. this morning i saw my zoas all not doing well.. starting to rot. so i throw all away. my beautiful mushrooms, which are the centerpiece in my tank, also throw coz affected by the rot. i had to remove all my rocks to do a massive water change as the decaying corals stink up my tank.after changing 50% of my tank water, i put back all the rocks. but after trying for 4 hours..... the rock work still looks ugly. Maybe im just not feeling happy, so everything is not looking good to me. After doing all that hard work, i made a big mess on my wooden floors... i faster clean it before my mom came home. Haiz... im just a 17 year old student, not earning money. This hobby sponsored by my family, and also with my savings. Somemore now got recession, business very bad, i dont want to waste my parents hard earn money by quitting.

Im hoping my fishes can handle the 50% water change. I had to do it very quickly otherwise the polluted water killed everything. I did not even let the water age for a few days like i normally would. Now my rock work pales in comparison to the original one....and im feeling so sad, having lost all the corals i bought with my savings... -_- Before going into this hobby, i did tons and tons of research... learning the scientific names of fish, coral, what family they belong to, fish compatibility, everything!! but now i dunno if i should continue or not. This hobby suppose to help me relax.. but in the end i become so stress coz of it.

I made this thread not to let you guys feel sorry for me, i just want to know.... How many of you have had this problem? Tank suddenly crash because of some problem.... Good thing i reacted quickly otherwise all my fish would have died... then i REALLY dunno what to do liao. I would appreciate it if you guys shared how you came back from this terrible experience.....

I think i will put my hobby on temporary hold for now on... need to save summore money to buy new corals. I still need to buy new live rocks to improve my current scaping. its damn ugly and i cant stand it. the more i see it the more depressed i become -.-

Dun disappoint ur parents since u're in this hobby... There's no escaping.... :evil: :evil: :evil: Haha... Pls dun quit or else we're gonna lose another reefer... Aft all these u can reset ur tank... And things might get better... ;)

1ft cube with IOS [the low tech tank]

1. JBJ C-breeze to keep temp hovering around 27-28'C

2. LED clip on - 120 bulbs

-skimmer-less-

My 3 humble equipments that keeps my tank running... [DRIED OUT]

1. The RSM itself of course 2.My NEW Deltec MCE-300 Skimmer 3. My trusty Arctica Chiller

Tank parameters:

Temperature maintained at 25.3'C to 24.7'C

No3: 10ppm(b4 the use of the deltec skimmer)

No3: 5ppm (after use of the skimmer)

Others? too lazy to measure...LOL

Camera- EOS 50D

• SRC Member

Looks like yr tank gonna crash....remove the dead corals and savage those still alive.

I suggest you re-setup. Transfer yr existing live stocks to a temporary holding tank or pail.

Its ok la...yr initial set-up din do properly. Probably stock up too fast.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

dun worry bro, this hobby has created much stress to countless reefers.. even reefers who have been in this hobby for yrs.. :)

i'm also a student, so i understand your plight.. actually, try to involve your family into this hobby, it will make life easier, and also creates more quality family time together to be involved in this together..

after this setback, you will make a stronger comeback..

have u found out what caused this sudden crash?

• Senior Reefer

yea. some of my zoos were dying. it was a good thing i was in my living room observing my tank... i faster remove lor.. and do 50% water change. now all my 3 zoos infected with the rotting thing.... i did a big water change. dam sian i lost my zoos and mushrooms because of this. I'm not like all you working adults who can go LFS and buy prata, buy acro, monti, etc etc. Im still a student, so i only think about zoos and mushrooms. which is a good thing i guess.. like this then my loss not so much. My LS now back to normal le. eating and swimming. I think good bah. if i had waited any longer, my whole tank will crash

• SRC Member
dun worry bro, this hobby has created much stress to countless reefers.. even reefers who have been in this hobby for yrs.. :)

i'm also a student, so i understand your plight.. actually, try to involve your family into this hobby, it will make life easier, and also creates more quality family time together to be involved in this together..

after this setback, you will make a stronger comeback..

have u found out what caused this sudden crash?

Once u discovered yr corals not doing well, have to remove immediately, if not it will cause yr other corals to die and tank will crashed.

Must be patient one...i also budget reefer coz i dun earn much...so slowly add yr stocks next time.

Last time i was a noob...even rics also die in my hands..hahaha..heng i removed it fast when they melt.

l7304smr.jpg

are you using a skimmer? any photo to show how the zoa and mushroom rot? quite curious what caused it.....

understand how you feel, just take it as a lesson and move on.....reading is one thing but on the other hand, i think real life experiences from snr reefers here are good to know.....: )

All the best and dont let this setback affect your day...new year coming...new life and new beginning. You dont have to spend very much in some nice corals, the trick is where to buy. : )

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Senior Reefer
are you using a skimmer? any photo to show how the zoa and mushroom rot? quite curious what caused it.....

understand how you feel, just take it as a lesson and move on.....reading is one thing but on the other hand, i think real life experiences from snr reefers here are good to know.....: )

All the best and dont let this setback affect your day...new year coming...new life and new beginning. You dont have to spend very much in some nice corals, the trick is where to buy. : )

i threw all away le. and yes i have a skimmer. the mushroom didnt rot... the rot from the zoa spread to the mushrooms. what did it look like ah... err.. it looks closed, and brown. when u touch it, it will "melt away" and its dam stinko. yea i think real lief experience from pros also very good. About 6 years ago my dad keep alot of marine fish also. he had a 8 ft tank in his office, and i would always go to see during the school hols. At home also got a few marine tanks. i found it very interesting lor. learning abt marine fish. Then when my parents divorce about 4 years ago, my interest stop le. But last year it was rekindled and i found this forum, i was back into the hobby. Now my family sponsor me, i use savings also. I'm feeling much better already la. probably also some stress... collecting O lvl results on the 15th of jan... All this stress add add add i wanna boom liao haha! now my tank looks much better la. water starting to clear, and i find my rockwork not that ugly now. i think if ur in a bad mood, everything is ugly to you!

Thanks everyone for cheering me up =) i wish you all the best of luck in ur reefing escapades too!

• SRC Member

Hi LemonLemon Bro

Evryone of us one way or another had experience tank crash. Be it major or minor.

1st Major crash for me in 2004

I had my tank "crash" when I go for a holiday with my family for 21 days. All life form (including worms...haha) are dead. All died bodies even decompose and not be able to find. I did a restart and carry on the hobby.

2nd Major crash for me in 2006

My UV light wiring had a electric short cct and cause a small fire in my cabinet (with the sump). It burst my intake pipe to this UV and drawn 100 litres of salt water on my floor. Luckily the water extingusih the fire and did not cause my house to be burnt down. All fishes without pump for close to 8 hours. Of cos all dead again lor....

Thus in Apr 2007, I decided to set up a new tank. Had a minor crash in May 2008 due to introducing a Regal Angel wihtout quanrantine enough. Disease start spreading and cause me losing 1 Flame Angel, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Strawberry, 1 Neon Dottyback, 1 Azune Damsel, 1 Candy Hog, 2 Mandarin and 1 Regal Angel.

Maybe you should stop stocking till your tank is stable. All the best for your O Level.

• SRC Member
i threw all away le. and yes i have a skimmer. the mushroom didnt rot... the rot from the zoa spread to the mushrooms. what did it look like ah... err.. it looks closed, and brown. when u touch it, it will "melt away" and its dam stinko. yea i think real lief experience from pros also very good. About 6 years ago my dad keep alot of marine fish also. he had a 8 ft tank in his office, and i would always go to see during the school hols. At home also got a few marine tanks. i found it very interesting lor. learning abt marine fish. Then when my parents divorce about 4 years ago, my interest stop le. But last year it was rekindled and i found this forum, i was back into the hobby. Now my family sponsor me, i use savings also. I'm feeling much better already la. probably also some stress... collecting O lvl results on the 15th of jan... All this stress add add add i wanna boom liao haha! now my tank looks much better la. water starting to clear, and i find my rockwork not that ugly now. i think if ur in a bad mood, everything is ugly to you!

Thanks everyone for cheering me up =) i wish you all the best of luck in ur reefing escapades too!

Add lots of nitrifying bacteria into the tank and let it settle for a few days b4 u start to stock up again.

Smell yr live rocks also..make sure no rotting smell.

And change yr filter wool, if u are using.

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Hi LemonLemon Bro

Evryone of us one way or another had experience tank crash. Be it major or minor.

1st Major crash for me in 2004

I had my tank "crash" when I go for a holiday with my family for 21 days. All life form (including worms...haha) are dead. All died bodies even decompose and not be able to find. I did a restart and carry on the hobby.

2nd Major crash for me in 2006

My UV light wiring had a electric short cct and cause a small fire in my cabinet (with the sump). It burst my intake pipe to this UV and drawn 100 litres of salt water on my floor. Luckily the water extingusih the fire and did not cause my house to be burnt down. All fishes without pump for close to 8 hours. Of cos all dead again lor....

Thus in Apr 2007, I decided to set up a new tank. Had a minor crash in May 2008 due to introducing a Regal Angel wihtout quanrantine enough. Disease start spreading and cause me losing 1 Flame Angel, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Strawberry, 1 Neon Dottyback, 1 Azune Damsel, 1 Candy Hog, 2 Mandarin and 1 Regal Angel.

Maybe you should stop stocking till your tank is stable. All the best for your O Level.

thanks for the well wishes. yea i will stop stocking for awhile.

• SRC Member

cheer up dude!

it is difficult to be reefing when you're still studying.. have been through that and i totally understand your pain..

every reefer here will tell you that they have been thru some kind of tank crash before.. the least we could do is to learn from our experience! =]

reef on!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• Senior Reefer
cheer up dude!

it is difficult to be reefing when you're still studying.. have been through that and i totally understand your pain..

every reefer here will tell you that they have been thru some kind of tank crash before.. the least we could do is to learn from our experience! =]

reef on!

thanks!! im really lucky that most of my fishes were in a separate tank when this happened. i am going to sell a niger trigger to a fellow reefer this saturday. very lucky it was in my quarantine tank when this happen. otherwise..... dunno how to explain haha

Hi, Bro,

you starts this hobby for about 2~3 months and thinking of quiting? still early leh,... reseting a tank is quite normal for this hobby (starter).

maybe ask yourself what did you do wrongly this round? and make sure it don't repeat again next time.

this is expensive hobby expecially you keep coral. try to maintain same coral as you have before zoa and mushroom.

after your success, you add another LPS (Advance) and it require different skill set again, and spend more money,....

Reset tank is best because you restart your bio system and everything. Make sure all parameter in line before add stock.

Hope to see your success next round. all the best.

regards,

miketeo

• Senior Reefer

i have kept many tanks before this. last time i keep with my parents... always go LFS with them and our tank was very nice. but then move house, decom. now re-starting agian. ya i will continue la. but now abit sian

• SRC Member

I find this hobby rather expensive even for working adults (well... to be more specific, people who receive pay checks instead of giving out pay checks -_- ) and I think its already an accomplishment to be a reefer as a student. Since you're restarting, do look more into keeping good water perimeters and how to maintain them in the long run, while you let your tank go through the ANN cycle.

Reefing is meant to be enjoyable, but if you get to a point when you're no longer enjoying it, time to quit.