corallife salt

klyve

Which LFS is selling cheapest corallife salt?? :thanks:

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

|| Return: 2 x ehiem 1264 || Skimmer: Skimz SM251 ||

|| CR: deltec denitrator || ATO with custom make reservior tank||

|| FR: TLF running Rowas ,UV ||

|| Wavemaker: Jebao RE20& RW15|| Chiller: Daikin 1HP Compressor ||

|| Monitor 1: American Marine Pinpoint Temperature monitor ||

i'm interested to know too.. btw for those using coralife salt, do u find that there is always alot of undissolved white stuff after mixing the water for a day or so?

ya wat u said is true don't really know wat that so now after fail on that on my 3ft tank twice i started to use nature sea water which iwarna selling at i packet 1 dollar only and it seem fine seen 4 week after setup except i brought the wrong fish racoon butterfly keep on bitting on my zoa sad now all detacted from the LR and all around the tank

it also doesnt happen to me regarding the white stuff...petmart long time no stock already....

|| Tank: 5x2x2.5 || Sump 3.5x1.5.1.5 || Lights: DeLighting 2x80w Aquable Special T5 ||

• SRC Member
Yes, Petmart now coralife salt is with moisture. I mean the package is leakage. it is now no long powder form.

i dissolve it and get low KH and also with residue. Anyone got same experience?

Yup..same experience with coralife...open up the packaging and the salt are "lumped" together..hard time scooping the salt. After mixing, always have residue left behind. Use a pump to circulate the water, also no use. The when pour into tank, water becomes cloudy bcoz of the residue and some of my mushies vomit and die because some of the residue went into their mouth. So i switched to Reefmax 4 months ago....so far i like it...only $48/$49 for 11kg. (40% cheaper than tropic marin)

l7304smr.jpg

Wow like most brothers using corallife salt are having problems with the quality of the salt.... :ph34r: Now makes me having 2nd thought about using it. :pinch:

• SRC Member
Wow like most brothers using corallife salt are having problems with the quality of the salt.... :ph34r: Now makes me having 2nd thought about using it. :pinch:

Coralife is still popular in US. I use coralife additives like idoine...but salt is a no no...the residue killed my softies.

You can check out LFS like reborn \, AM and ML, they have quite a varieties of salt.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

i brought mine from aquastar at yishun doesn't have any cloudiness encountered leh... it left a few undissolved particles which i didn't pour it in, did you let the salt water rest after stirring it? (though mine just pour it in half an hour after stirring it) :whistle <== forgotten should let it rest more, but everything seems fine

my 200000000 cents :peace:

• SRC Member

I use Coral Life salt too, I think the residue problem is prevalent in old stock, or those that have been opened for some time. I usually mix it with a powerhead for 36 hours or more, and there will be less than 2 tablespoons of white residue swirling at the bottom of the bucket. I'll just siphon the clear water out and use it, leaving the remaining bit of water and particles behind.

Made a mistake of stirring by hand and using the water as is, when i just started my home tank. Killed a colony of zoos :(

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• Senior Reefer
I use Coral Life salt too, I think the residue problem is prevalent in old stock, or those that have been opened for some time. I usually mix it with a powerhead for 36 hours or more, and there will be less than 2 tablespoons of white residue swirling at the bottom of the bucket. I'll just siphon the clear water out and use it, leaving the remaining bit of water and particles behind.

Made a mistake of stirring by hand and using the water as is, when i just started my home tank. Killed a colony of zoos :(

i have no patience to let the water rest for more than a day. i mix liao, use hand to stir and immediately use it for my tank. for 3 months i have been doing this....guess i have been dodging bullets >.< anyway, when i change watr i dun change alot...only one big pail. so i guess not so serious. but nowadays i just buy water from iwarna. save trouble of mixing salt and more convinient.... next time i will nt do that again...i also notice freshly mixed saltwater got that very caustic smell like very chemical :sick:

• SRC Member

haha...yo brother...your coralife kill zoos...mine is a colony of rics.

Now i prepare my salt water using empty 1.5l bottles and leave them for 48hrs before using.

Scared to use coralife liao.... :cry2:

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

wah so long ar~

i let it rest for 2 hours normally (fowlr) hmm... must take note liao if wanna put in corals. any beneficial for leaving them 48 hours before using it?

haha...yo brother...your coralife kill zoos...mine is a colony of rics.

Now i prepare my salt water using empty 1.5l bottles and leave them for 48hrs before using.

Scared to use coralife liao.... :cry2:

wah so long ar~

i let it rest for 2 hours normally (fowlr) hmm... must take note liao if wanna put in corals. any beneficial for leaving them 48 hours before using it?

i use for 4-5 yrs already no prob lehz..

sometimes water change the mixed water i left only for 5-6hrs only then pour inside my sump liaoz..

did u calculate the salinaty properly b4 pouring in a nt ?

Yesterday bought another coralife salt from Pacific Reef. Quite happy because it is still powder form.

I find that powder form will not have any residue at all for < 24 Hours circulation.

I'm yet to measure the KH and would like to find out the different of the KH for powder form and pet mart *wet (wif moisure).

As for calcium, the level is still good.

So, it is not depend on how you mix with the salt to the water (in this "moisure salt p etmart"). no matter how i try, slowly add salt to water, the KH is kind of low. (< 2). It could be due to chemical reaction due to leakage and brough down the KH.

Hope i can get the good result of KH in powder mix? Anyone?

• SRC Member
wah so long ar~

It depends on how well you mixed it. Letting it rest doesn't actually benefit or harm the water, it's just to make sure that there is no undissolved residue, any of which would sink to the bottom. Sometimes these particles are not visible to the n-aked eye, but will settle onto corals and harm them.

I leave it for 36 hours stirring continuously with a powerhead on, just to make sure that it is evenly mixed and to get as much salt to dissolve as possible. More an issue of me being kiasu or patient, whichever way you look at it.

i use for 4-5 yrs already no prob lehz..

sometimes water change the mixed water i left only for 5-6hrs only then pour inside my sump liaoz..

did u calculate the salinaty properly b4 pouring in a nt ?

I've no complaints abt coral life, any mishaps with this salt is my own fault for being lazy and impatient at that time haha.

I think red sea is much worse than coral life when it comes to undissolved salt particles, I would get at least 4 to 5 tablespoons of undissolved salt after stirring overnight.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

I have been using coralife salt since i started reefing in 2003 (plastic container with 3 bags inside) from petmart and reborn. It dissolves completely without any residue. :rolleyes:

Bought 3 boxes of coralife salt in early 2008, it did not come in plastic container but in paper boxes (3 bags inside each). Salt in some of the bags harden, some still in loose. Those that are still loose have no residue inside. Those harden confirm will have residue no matter how long you stir the water.

Measured 1x water with harden salt mix, kh only at 5dkh. Guess the Ca and carbonate has solidify and this may explain the white residue which is insoluble.

Not sure if this is a batch problem with the distributor in singapore. But once i finish up my outstanding 6 bags of coralife salt, i will not touch this brand again. Mixing salt water is just too troublesome with this problem.

:pirate:

OK, good news is i try my new package of coralife salt that not harden, still dry in the powder form.

Salt added into bucket RODI water slowly until salinity level reach. no residue and quick dissolve (~ 5 min) the dkh is wonderful now. dKH~ 7 to 8. Calcium 420. Compare to harden slat (<2). Ai yoh, no wonder i also need to add more

Carbonate hardness each time changing water. another experience gain.

I think i will continue to buy corallife depenf on the quality(dry powder). Any other good brand and good price salt recommended?

hope this help.