cycling tank

takumee

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
wow..thats jia lat.

anybody wants? then why still sell when they are so lethal?

how about keeping only with their breed? poison kills also?

I've kept box fish before... they don't release poison easily. No worries at all. You can talk to Henry of ML about box fish keeping.

anybody wants box fish?

i got 2 of them.

Keep enough water for a 50% change handy, if anything goes wrong change 50% water and run carbon in your filters, and you should be ok.

Don't stress them out or let other fish stress them out, heh.

I also don't dare to keep boxfish hee, maybe if you got a big biiiiig tank can try.

• 4 weeks later...

may i know is it normal that my water is a very chinese tea colour with normal light?

only with some blue light it gets a little whiter.

my skimmer is those baoyu compact type and no matter how i adjust the air flow, the end product is very light chinese tea.

is it the skimmer problem?

• SRC Member
u mean to say my no2 and no3 is causing my water to turn so yellowish?

but my tank so not smell so awful if you know what i mean.

hmm ya no smell one this kinda things

when u on white light and the water is yellow most probably is ur sand that makes up the color

as ur sand is yellowish it kinda reflects when u on the light thus this colour

hmm my 2 cents :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

• SRC Supporter
hi all,

my jewel does not seem to open to its maximum. what is the reason?

my water parameters are okay.

also, my water temperature is at average 32 degree even though i open the lid whole day.

the skimmer is simply cannot skim very well. any other alternative.

Hi bro, IMHO, clown fish are usually paired, not schooled. So very high chance of fighting going to occur in the near future.

Your water temp is too high for corals. In fact, I had done a search in SRC that Gonio is one of the tough coral to handle. With 32 degrees, dun expect your gonio to open or stretch out. You can try putting somewhere there is flow to see if it improves the situation.

I had tried many different configurations for my wall mount tank (which is hopeless for reef) but to succumb to just Live Rocks and fishes. So if no proper chiller, I suggest you avoid corals.

Just my 2 cents worth of advice.

hmm ya no smell one this kinda things

when u on white light and the water is yellow most probably is ur sand that makes up the color

as ur sand is yellowish it kinda reflects when u on the light thus this colour

hmm my 2 cents :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

its really yellow if you can see from this photo.

post-16043-1242050658.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
me still running as of now day 04 now.

thinking of getting some livestock now.

is it advisable base on the following options?

option 1: should i run for another 4wks?

option 2: run for 4wks first, introduce market prawn and run for another 6 wks

option 3: buy some crabs, prawns and damsell now.

bro ! dun be so excited slowly and steady :eyebrow:

I'm cycling my tank now, Day 3. I've placed media like Seachem Seagel (carbon and phosphate remover) and Denitrate in my sump, is it appopriate at this stage? Should I remove it until it is cycled?

wow..thats jia lat.

anybody wants? then why still sell when they are so lethal?

how about keeping only with their breed? poison kills also?

wellcome to the hobby... you should listen to all old bird Avice..........

its really yellow if you can see from this photo.

What type of lighting do you use and color temperature?

If 6.5KK, definately yellowish...to balance up...on with actinic/blue light.

You can change to 10KK for whiter white w/o actinic blue lor :eyebrow: !

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

hi eChan, think no hard and fuss rule. It depends on your initial setup. If you start everything fresh and needs the bacteria to bloom, then in my opinion, you should remove them.....if you have live sand, rock, bacteria dose, etc, then good to have them to maintain good water quality. Just remember to reach through the cycling cycle - spike in amonia, etc and then back to zero.....if you put in too many media to improve your water, the initial reading may not represent well on your tank cycling....and you might have to take few reading to ascertain the cycling process....

just my humble comment and subject to correction from the experts....

I'm cycling my tank now, Day 3. I've placed media like Seachem Seagel (carbon and phosphate remover) and Denitrate in my sump, is it appopriate at this stage? Should I remove it until it is cycled?

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

hi eChan, think no hard and fuss rule. It depends on your initial setup. If you start everything fresh and needs the bacteria to bloom, then in my opinion, you should remove them.....if you have live sand, rock, bacteria dose, etc, then good to have them to maintain good water quality. Just remember to reach through the cycling cycle - spike in amonia, etc and then back to zero.....if you put in too many media to improve your water, the initial reading may not represent well on your tank cycling....and you might have to take few reading to ascertain the cycling process....

just my humble comment and subject to correction from the experts....

Thanks Solo77 for your advice. For now I think I shall leave it there first and monitor for the amonia and NOs cycle. Btw, I've LR and bateria dose. Running the skimmer though.

all the best for your cycling. Try to cycle it longer and be patience. There is unexplained new tank syndrome(personal experience) that i encountered after cycling.....and believe it or not...you can be nemesis to certain livestock...wahahaha....initially i got problem keeping clowns....true pers and black clowns...even though my tank got other fishes like fire & fire goby, flame angel, etc. Only after almost half a year, then i manage to keep them. For a start, dont jump into exotic fishes and keep those tame and general livestock....and introduce those aggressive fishes as last entry.....but this hobby doesnt seem enough...must have self discipline......not easy for me.....Good luck dude.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member
Thanks Solo77 for your advice. For now I think I shall leave it there first and monitor for the amonia and NOs cycle. Btw, I've LR and bateria dose. Running the skimmer though.

eChan, there's tons of resources on tank cycling. check out the important topics in "New to the Marine Aquaria Hobby" section. Below are some links for you. The key in this hobby is patience. The longer you hold out buying livestock, the better the cycle will be.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrog.../a/aa042403.htm

http://fishwhisperer.homestead.com/articles.html

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)