Hammer coral spraying white stuff like sperm !

erichokk

Help !! I needed Help !!

My Hammer coral is spraying white liquid into the tank.

I did my regular water change last sunday as usual and later at the night I notice that my water is milky. Quickly I changed 20% of the water and measured my water parameters, all are ok but even with 20% water change, the water in the tank remains milky, but with slight improvement. I was dead beat by then.. 12midnight.. so I pray it will recover tomorrow.

Next morning, I checked my tank again and the water clears up, reliefed I want to work, but I do notice that my yumas and frogspawn ddi not open up as usual. When I reached home later in the night, I found the water is milky again! To my horror, my frogspawn is dead and my Yumas are closed up !! Again I did an immediate 20% water change, then I notice that the hammer is the culprit.

It is randomly spraying white liquid into the tank!!! I saw in some documentary film, corals does spray out millions of eggs at certain season, is that what happening to my hammer?? Or it is actually under stress and releasing toxis? My Frogspawn is placed out of reach from the hammer and my only fish (a clown) is having no effect and living normally. Again, water parameter is normall.

The hammer and Frogspawn has been my latest addition about 2 months ago and during these period, both live happliy togehter. What is happening?? My protein skimmer is skimming so much bubbles, I have not seen it work this way before.

I have been keeping marine fish and some coral for 2 years and never have I seen this kind of things happening.. I am at a lost... any advice seniors?

:cry2:

• Senior Reefer

really stumped. never heard of hammers doing this. only hear before they release brown stuff, either brown jelly disease or expelling waste. it is VER VERY unliekly that a hammer coral will spawn in captivity, let alone only 2 months after u got it. but i will not say it is not a possibility. as for now, maybe u could try checking the net? obviously something is wrong and u need to rectify the problem. sorry if this has not been of much use. i will also help u look for an answer. hang in there buddy (:

• SRC Member
Help !! I needed Help !!

My Hammer coral is spraying white liquid into the tank.

I did my regular water change last sunday as usual and later at the night I notice that my water is milky. Quickly I changed 20% of the water and measured my water parameters, all are ok but even with 20% water change, the water in the tank remains milky, but with slight improvement. I was dead beat by then.. 12midnight.. so I pray it will recover tomorrow.

Next morning, I checked my tank again and the water clears up, reliefed I want to work, but I do notice that my yumas and frogspawn ddi not open up as usual. When I reached home later in the night, I found the water is milky again! To my horror, my frogspawn is dead and my Yumas are closed up !! Again I did an immediate 20% water change, then I notice that the hammer is the culprit.

It is randomly spraying white liquid into the tank!!! I saw in some documentary film, corals does spray out millions of eggs at certain season, is that what happening to my hammer?? Or it is actually under stress and releasing toxis? My Frogspawn is placed out of reach from the hammer and my only fish (a clown) is having no effect and living normally. Again, water parameter is normall.

The hammer and Frogspawn has been my latest addition about 2 months ago and during these period, both live happliy togehter. What is happening?? My protein skimmer is skimming so much bubbles, I have not seen it work this way before.

I have been keeping marine fish and some coral for 2 years and never have I seen this kind of things happening.. I am at a lost... any advice seniors?

:cry2:

Is it something like this?

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

coral hanky panky. cool

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Hi Eric,

Seems like your hammer is releasing gametes. If it's releasing waste or zoo, it'll be brown color stringy or blob like.

Milky white stuffs are sperm. If there's another polyp releasing eggs, they will fuse and form planula, or coral larva.

Keep up with the water changes and hope for the best.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kit...production.html

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• Senior Reefer

im afraid they are right. ur hammer is really sex deprived lolz. its very unusual for a hammer that is bought only 2 months to spawn! u are very lucky/unlucky. diligent water changes until ur hammer decides to stop producing gametes will help

I cannot remember where i got this piece of info from but:

i think i read somewhere that some corals, when stressed will release their stinging cells or something like that. and these stinging cells are still potent - mabye that is why some of your other corals died - they literally got stung to death.

just my two cents worth. mabye you can get some other more advanced reefer to verify this. i am have only been in this business for 6 months.

• Senior Reefer

hmm...that is one possibility. but his frogspawn died. frogspawn and hammer from same family, they are relatively safe from each other sting. although not entirely safe, but relatively. if anything should die form the sting, the frogspawn will be the last to die.

• SRC Member
hmm...that is one possibility. but his frogspawn died. frogspawn and hammer from same family, they are relatively safe from each other sting. although not entirely safe, but relatively. if anything should die form the sting, the frogspawn will be the last to die.

Confirmed his hammer is releasing sperm....sometimes the water parameters and the temperature just right for pak chiu cheng...lol

bro lemon, check out this video just for you...fragging frogspawn.

l7304smr.jpg

• Senior Reefer
Confirmed his hammer is releasing sperm....sometimes the water parameters and the temperature just right for pak chiu cheng...lol

bro lemon, check out this video just for you...fragging frogspawn.

haha water right for pcc, or mood right for pcc (:

Thanks for the vid!!vrey informative. and that was a very nice piece of frogspawn. dunno why mut go frag -.-

• Senior Reefer
Today is a worrying day for me. It is like your wife in labour and you are outstation not knowing what is happening.

Luckily, the water clears out, the hammer stop it nasty act. Hope that is the end. :)

Thanks bros for the advice and jokes.

hehe. no problem! ur hammer really hardcore woot. everyday man! strong (:

• SRC Member

So the polyp that spawned confirmed male. Some more likes to PCC. hahaha.

• SRC Member

I hope his tank recovered liao. must oso remember to turn the tv away from the tank. :look: