Dymax or Macro Aqua

sanjaypills55

• SRC Member

Hi Fellow Reefers,

I have a 50 gallon tank moderately stocked running on Wiepro 2011. The problem with this skimmer is it produces half a cup skim mates in 2 weeks.

The nitrates are 40-60 ppm, so i cant keep any corals except maybe few mushrooms.

Currently thinking about upgrading the skimmer. Since i don't have a budget for a high end skimmer like deltec, i am considering a Dymax or Macro Aqua, Needle Wheel kind outsump or hangon kind

Has anybody used these skimmers or would know which one is better? or know of any good skimmer in similar price range.

Thanks in advance for ur answers. :thanks:

& happy reefing!!

• SRC Member
Nobody replied :cry2:

I saw yr comments on another reefer's thread by donaldcoolwater...

I used a weipro before...that's is the skimmer's performance...very little skimate in a long time...n yr nitrate is high...because the skimmer is not effectively collecting organic waste.

One solution for you since you are budget tight...change yr water often...like 10% every 3 days...to compensate yr skimmer's performance...while you save up for a better skimmer. :D decision is yours bro.. :thanks: all the best!

l7304smr.jpg

• 1 month later...

if dymax is within your budget then you may want to consider Dymax RS-40 . Comes with a needle wheel dymax recirculation pump. Will need another feed pump to feed water into the skimmer. I was using that skimmer till I upgraded to Reef octopus DDNW-150-6530. I used it RS-40 for 4ft tank and it worked well. PM me if you want to know more about the skimmer or interested in getting from me. :)

And ya. I have one Aqua Macro 250 needle wheel skimmer at home too. It was working well except that it has only one pump with both air in-take and water in-take so the amount of bubble produced is not as good as the dymax RS-40.

• SRC Member

I finally bought a Reef Octopus DNW-110. Its not a very cheap skimmer or but much cheaper than the high end ones..Still playing with water level to get optimum skimming. Cant see very good results after almost a month of usage!

Ah Siang,

Even though i am on a tight budget, changing 10% water in 3 days could be a very expensive affair on long run... Synthetic salt isnt that cheap.

Anyway reduced my feeding to half... hope that helps in reducing my bio-load!