Binosage's 24G nano tank

albinosage

nicely done! i may consider getting the tunze skimmer as well! great stuff!

I wussed out of modding the stock cup and bought the StevieT one, I've not tried it out yet though..

>_>

• SRC Member
nicely done! i may consider getting the tunze skimmer as well! great stuff!

I haven't used the Tunze 9002 yet, but have been hearing nothing but good things about it. Hope my mod doesn't affect the performance :)

I wussed out of modding the stock cup and bought the StevieT one, I've not tried it out yet though..

>_>

Wow, you haven't used it yet? If you don't intend to use it ever, do consider selling it to me :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

Wow, you haven't used it yet? If you don't intend to use it ever, do consider selling it to me :P

ehehehe not likely I'll sell the StevieT cup. but I'll show you some pictures hehehe.

post-15889-1239903206.jpg

post-15889-1239903269.jpg

post-15889-1239903677.jpg

• SRC Member

Eh, how come your bubble deflector is missing the inverted cup to deflect the bubbles downwards? Steve claims that's the most expensive component of the cup together with the half sphere. :rolleyes:

Picture taken from his website:

post-15730-1239929174.jpg

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

Eh, how come your bubble deflector is missing the inverted cup to deflect the bubbles downwards? Steve claims that's the most expensive component of the cup together with the half sphere. :rolleyes:

Picture taken from his website:

I think this is the newest, lower cost design. Those pictures are of the older cups, not the newer ones with the blue acrylic top.

There never used to be a JBJ Nanocube section on his page either, hehe.

I'll give it a go when I test out this cup, if the performance is no good I'll go grumble at him and get it replaced, hehe.

• SRC Member
I'll give it a go when I test out this cup, if the performance is no good I'll go grumble at him and get it replaced, hehe.

Haha, I didn't know about the new design. Maybe he's cutting cost, but I do remember him saying that the downward deflector is what makes it more efficient than the stock Tunze cup, prevents the bubbles from going back down the neck. I'll see the performance of my micro cup before deciding whether to get it :P

I could use a cup like that! The bubbles in my skimmer cup always over flows through the "air vents" of the lid instead of flowing down. <_<

Hey bro, I actually thought of adding an inverted 50 cent tikum ball shell to act as the downward deflector, maybe you can try that. Low cost and should do the work as well in theory :)

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

Haha, I didn't know about the new design. Maybe he's cutting cost, but I do remember him saying that the downward deflector is what makes it more efficient than the stock Tunze cup, prevents the bubbles from going back down the neck. I'll see the performance of my micro cup before deciding whether to get it :P

Hey bro, I actually thought of adding an inverted 50 cent tikum ball shell to act as the downward deflector, maybe you can try that. Low cost and should do the work as well in theory :)

He never made claims of his cup performing better than the stock tunze cup in the past though, that might be his new and improved design maybe?!

ooh hmm good idea! hmm or half a ping pong ball i think would work too.

• SRC Member

The rest of the rock of yumas seem to be morphing colours as well :whistle

post-15730-1240182914.jpg

There were 3 big ones and about a dozen small polyps, but don't know why the small polyps all shrunk to about 1cm in size.

post-15730-1240182977.jpg

The first to change colour as pictured earlier in the thread:

post-15730-1240183007.jpg

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

The zoas have all recovered their colours :D

post-15730-1240183138.jpg

Amby bro, here's the pink metallics from you :eyebrow:

post-15730-1240183185.jpg

Original colours:

post-15730-1238729719.jpg

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

My water change regime is 20 to 25% change with NSW every 5 to 7 days, but recently got lazy and only did so every 10 days, roughly. Last weekend, out of curiosity, I decided to test the NO3, since I've never tested it ever since cycling was completed. I was expecting it to be between 40 to 80ppm, since my feeding routine pollutes the water quite a bit; 2/3 cube of frozen mysis shrimps, and 3/2 cube of Henry's reef gourmet. No skimmer, and only left with one tennis ball sized clump of chaeto after donating most of it to peacemaker, so I don't actually have anything to export nutrients effectively.

Guess what, my NO3 is undetectable when testing with the API test kit! I have never gotten such results except for when the tank was just tested or when I'm testing on newly mixed water. Even with my previous tank, the lowest I was able to manage the NO3 levels at was 10 to 20ppm. That said, the API test kit doesn't detect less than 5ppm of NO3, so it's not non-existent. But still, that's a terrific result I never expected :P

Finally, FTS for now:

post-15730-1240183438.jpg

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
yo bro, where u got the small little container for ur chaeto? mine is too big and housing too much chaetos. Always flew out and got stuck in my wavemakers.

I got it from Home Fix, they have a line of toiletries and utensils holders molded from clear acrylic or some other plastic. I was looking for transparent ones cos I thought it allows more light to pass thru, and not so unsightly :P

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

nice and clean tank you have there bro

For the chaeto,last time i kept in a plastic container (with lots of square holes) under the T5 lightings at the DT, however, found that how come the chaeto keep getting lesser and lesser instead of growing.

found out it's being consume by the yellow tang and purple tang! wth.. so i put all in the sump from then.. haha

• SRC Member

Thanks for the compliments sis onizuka :)

I thought that the chaeto doesn't really help export a lot of nutrients in the nano tank, since my 12 gallon tank had a constant 20 to 30ppm of NO3 with the exact same basket of chaeto. I even wanted to remove the basket cos it was unsightly to have something hanging there. Decided not to cos it's a nice place to cultivate pods which my seahorses love to snack on. One of them has even made it her home, sleeping inside at night to shield itself from the wavemaker.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

ahhh, i got something extra one.. i not sis!!!! :paiseh: am a bro.bro oni haha..

so cute your seahorse, didn't get a chiller therefore forsake the idea of breeding seahorse, though last time without chiller, baby sea horse were given birth in the tank (however all die with no proper food given as didn't expect them to breed) :cry: . then one by one all die.

from then,started reading up on the LS i buy so that higher chance of it surviving as it hurts to see your LS go 1 by 1 .

jiayou! hope you can breed baby SH in your tank hehe.

cheers :peace:

• SRC Member
ahhh, i got something extra one.. i not sis!!!! :paiseh: am a bro.bro oni haha..

Alamak, all of you should stop this bro/sis teasing! I think I saw a thread where you and lemon were calling each other sis and I really thought you were a sis! :P

Anyway I hope they don't breed la, my flow in the tank quite strong, the babies sure get thrown about one :paiseh:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
My water change regime is 20 to 25% change with NSW every 5 to 7 days, but recently got lazy and only did so every 10 days, roughly. Last weekend, out of curiosity, I decided to test the NO3, since I've never tested it ever since cycling was completed. I was expecting it to be between 40 to 80ppm, since my feeding routine pollutes the water quite a bit; 2/3 cube of frozen mysis shrimps, and 3/2 cube of Henry's reef gourmet. No skimmer, and only left with one tennis ball sized clump of chaeto after donating most of it to peacemaker, so I don't actually have anything to export nutrients effectively.

Guess what, my NO3 is undetectable when testing with the API test kit! I have never gotten such results except for when the tank was just tested or when I'm testing on newly mixed water. Even with my previous tank, the lowest I was able to manage the NO3 levels at was 10 to 20ppm. That said, the API test kit doesn't detect less than 5ppm of NO3, so it's not non-existent. But still, that's a terrific result I never expected :P

Finally, FTS for now:

post-15730-1240183438.jpg

i know that basket! hahah.. thats what i am planning to use as well! i should be placing it basket behind my LR to hid it away from view.. =P

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member
HAHAHAHA, yup, and I suspect that you've hunted for it for quite a while as I had :P

yeah.. sort of... there's alot of sizes as well... maybe using the container for my air refresher for my car as a holding container for my cheato also.. it all depends... my tank now is in the 2nd week of cycling... prawn missing liao.. hahaha

• SRC Member
yeah.. sort of... there's alot of sizes as well... maybe using the container for my air refresher for my car as a holding container for my cheato also.. it all depends... my tank now is in the 2nd week of cycling... prawn missing liao.. hahaha

So you decided to keep the nano cube? :eyebrow:

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member
So you decided to keep the nano cube? :eyebrow:

yup... gonna cut some holes at the back for the chiller pipings and wires.... maybe getting the tunze 9002...

using black sand this time round also... =]

• SRC Member

hey nice tank.. i recently set-up a 24g JBJ nano cube also :D Im going skimmerless cos i realise that the tunze 9002 couldn't fit behind the compartments behind. How long did u cycle your tank before adding livestocks? My tank is currently 1 week old..

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..