teddybear crab?

• SRC Member
  • Sponsor
hi i gt a crab here, hope someone can help me ID it..

when u pick it up or touch it, it'll "retract" (dunno whether its the right word) it's leg and camoflage itself as a pebble

post-15823-1239122001.jpg

This is a teddybear crab wannabe :lol:

ok, I don't have its name but I do have a similar one in my display for several months.

Size about 2 inch. Like yours, it burrow in the sand.

Don't seem harmful to livestocks except its burrowwing activities displace lighter rockworks and corals.

Here's some actual teddybear crabs I've acquired in 2003.

Don't get your hope up though. Can't get them these days :)

post-3711-1239246520.jpg

post-3711-1239246767.jpg

SIGNATURE-Asta120SpirulinaGarlicReefMedi

Join us on Facebook! 

henry'sreefgourmet - your fish, corals and critters will love it!

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Tel : 6777 4047
Mobile : 9843 6032

Operating Hours:
Mondays : 3pm - 8pm
Tues - Sat : 12.30pm - 8pm

Sundays : Closed

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Member

Hey Henry!

That's the crab I keep complaining about to you that I've got in my tank! The fellow who was dragging my sun corals and zoas to cover up it's hole, and eating up all my starfish/sand dollars!

Finally managed to catch it and release it into labrador park.

To the OP, here's an interesting read.

Friend or Foe - Crabs

• Sponsor
Hey Henry!

That's the crab I keep complaining about to you that I've got in my tank! The fellow who was dragging my sun corals and zoas to cover up it's hole, and eating up all my starfish/sand dollars!

Finally managed to catch it and release it into labrador park.

HAH!? Didn't cross my mine at that time that you have this fella 'cos they are from hawaii.

Those I've got was only the size of 10 & 20 cents coin max.

Didn't get to see them feeding on echinoderms though. . . . and yes, they do look cute & cuddly!

Join us on Facebook! 

Goodbye!PO4 - your simple, highly effective and low cost method to phosphate control

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Operating Hours:

Closed on the following Public Holidays : New Year, CNY, Labour Day, National Day & Christmas

• SRC Member
HAH!? Didn't cross my mine at that time that you have this fella 'cos they are from hawaii.

Those I've got was only the size of 10 & 20 cents coin max.

Didn't get to see them feeding on echinoderms though. . . . and yes, they do look cute & cuddly!

Hahah...after this outpouring of love for this critter, I'm starting to feel like I should have kept it rather than release it back into the wild! Could have put it into the refugium of my 2 ft tank! :D

• Sponsor
ya so cute sia!!

esp the white one look so exotic :yeah:

hop mine can become liddat..pray for the fur to grow :P

No lah brudder. . . . the one you have is not teddybear crab so won't grow furry...

more like hairy and the only thing that will grow nicely will be its shell :lol::lol:

Join us on Facebook! 

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Operating Hours:

• Sponsor
Hahah...after this outpouring of love for this critter, I'm starting to feel like I should have kept it rather than release it back into the wild! Could have put it into the refugium of my 2 ft tank! :D

Hahaha... u just kanna teddy-withdrawal syndrome :lol:

guest the fella is singing 'under the sea' and enjoying all the starfishes at Labrador :upsidedown:

Join us on Facebook! 

354 Clementi Avenue 2
#01-203
Singapore 120354

Operating Hours:

• 2 weeks later...