Black Stuff Filter

He guys,

shame on me, but I got another filter in my reef tank sump which got this black stuff inside. The water comes from underneath through and flows out at the lid on the top. The medium is heavier than water.

What is it exactly called and what purpose does it have and do i need to replace it.

Kinda funny but got to know...

Thanks...

• SRC Member

Not carbon right?Or maybe phosphate media?

girlone.png

He guys,

shame on me, but I got another filter in my reef tank sump which got this black stuff inside. The water comes from underneath through and flows out at the lid on the top. The medium is heavier than water.

What is it exactly called and what purpose does it have and do i need to replace it.

Kinda funny but got to know...

Thanks...

its a waterfall filter? sounds like carbon to me. any pic?

• SRC Member

this is a FR- fluidized reactor

the media inside look like phosphate media, could be RowaPhos.

the purpose of passing ur tank water thru it is to allow this media to absorb the phosphate in the water, which is the cause for unsightly algae.

the media will get saturated when it absorbs maximum phosphate, and will have to be replaced.. normally we replace them once every 3-6months, depending on size of FR, and size of tank..

this is a FR- fluidized reactor

the media inside look like phosphate media, could be RowaPhos.

the purpose of passing ur tank water thru it is to allow this media to absorb the phosphate in the water, which is the cause for unsightly algae.

the media will get saturated when it absorbs maximum phosphate, and will have to be replaced.. normally we replace them once every 3-6months, depending on size of FR, and size of tank..

Thanks, appreciate your answer