fish to start off

• SRC Member

What's the size of your tank? It'll help us to recommend fishes to start off as some of the easier fish for FOWLR also requires a decent sized setup(Eg. 4x2x2 and above).

For a start, you can look at these fishes as their suitable for both small(2x1x1) and larger(Eg. 2x2x2, 3x2x2, 4x2x2 etc..) tanks:

- Firefish(Purple firefish, red firefish)

- Cardinalfish

- Clownfish(False percula, True percula, tomato, maroon, clarkii)

- Chromis

- Royal Gramma, Brazillian Gramma

In general, it'll be advisable to start stocking with the more peaceful fish first and adding the more aggressive species last.

• SRC Member
What's the size of your tank? It'll help us to recommend fishes to start off as some of the easier fish for FOWLR also requires a decent sized setup(Eg. 4x2x2 and above).

For a start, you can look at these fishes as their suitable for both small(2x1x1) and larger(Eg. 2x2x2, 3x2x2, 4x2x2 etc..) tanks:

- Firefish(Purple firefish, red firefish)

- Cardinalfish

- Clownfish(False percula, True percula, tomato, maroon, clarkii)

- Chromis

- Royal Gramma, Brazillian Gramma

In general, it'll be advisable to start stocking with the more peaceful fish first and adding the more aggressive species last.

ok noted! by the way mine is a 2ft tank (:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

i highly recommend a school of chromis, maybe 6-8. why so many because sometimes will have mysterious disappearance. last time i bought 12, end up now left with 4. all ended up in the filter. they're great to have cos they like to stay in open water.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Member

i highly recommend a school of chromis, maybe 6-8. why so many because sometimes will have mysterious disappearance. last time i bought 12, end up now left with 4. all ended up in the filter. they're great to have cos they like to stay in open water.

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

• SRC Member

i think he will buy chromis for sure after yr strong recommendation....lol

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Hello mate.

I have a pair of common occellaris clowns ... Been with me for 2 yrs already ... in sump now cos just added pair of Aussie black clowns & dont want any fights ... Pm me if you are interested. FOC.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

6-8 chromis for a 2ft tank wont be too many????

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member
6-8 chromis for a 2ft tank wont be too many????

I would suggest peaceful and hardy fish.

Firefish will jump off your tank if harrassed.

Some clowns are fierce.

For me I prefer 2 chromis or false clowns.

For starters, always will overfeed so this way the tank will mature just nice the way you need.

You can slowly add-up 1-2 fishes every 1-2 months.

Just follow the rule of maximum fish and minimum LR. That way you will not be stressed on corroded water.

Some clowns are fierce.

I agree with that. I would recommend you avoid Tomato and Maroon clown in that category.

Just follow the rule of maximum fish and minimum LR.

Isn't it the other way around ? :)

Anyway a 2 footer can't really take a lot of fishes. Well ................. it can, but the maintainability and effort to keep them healthy would probably erode your enjoyment. I currently run 2 unit of 2 footer.

• SRC Member

whats the rule of maximum fish and minimum LR??? haha... so an average gauge of how many LS can my tank hold?

"the maintainability and effort to keep them healthy would probably erode your enjoyment"

hmmmm.... its tougher to keep them because the tank is considered small and any slight changes would affect the fishes easily? haha...

Carpe Diem~!!!

whats the rule of maximum fish and minimum LR??? haha... so an average gauge of how many LS can my tank hold?

I don't think there is a rule but LR do serve an important function in a system. I am a poor bloke ;) so I always try to go with minimum equipment. In one of my 2 footer (2x1x1.5h) FOWLR , I only use LR (about 1/4~1/3 the volume of the tank) and a slightly oversize skimmer. I think it's call the Berlin method or something. I have a 55W PL light for lighting.

Currently I've got 4 inhabitants in it, 1 regal tang (4"), 1 Indian hind (4+"), 1 oversize damsel (4") and a new Koran (4+") which I got from a bro here a couple of weeks ago. I suspect I have got a 3"~4" wrasse somewhere in the substrate too. The duration they have been in the tank, damsel 1+yrs, regal tang 8+ months, Indian Hind caught 7+ months ago and Koran < 1 month. Fishes lost in last 1 year, 1 yellow damsel jump out of the tank many months ago and another smaller Indian hind ( I suspect the bigger tried to eat it but fail to swallow it) about a month ago.

They have all outgrown the tank actually,so I am giving away the Indian hind and damsel once I manage to catch them. And upgrade the tang and angel to another larger tank. Then maybe restock it with 5 to 7, 2" fishes like baby regal, banner fish, butterfly, etc. Kinda like a grow out tank.

With the current load in the tank, my routine is 1 to 2 large pail of water change once every 2 weeks. And clean the collection cup whenever it's about an inch full. Feed Formula One/Two daily.

So if you're looking for easier maintainence, keep 4 to 5 (2") as a start, but increase the count slowly so that the bacteria has a chance to catch up and you don't get a spike.

• SRC Member

LRs serve a very important function in the marine aquaria. I only have LR(around 10kg) and protein skimmer for filtration in my 2x1x1, current livestock only 1 pair of false percula clownfish. In the long run, for a 2ft tank, it'll be good to stock it with small fishes that won't grow beyond 3" or 4".

How much livestock your tank can hold depends greatly on how much swimming space you are going to give your fish and the actual dimensions of your tank. In general, you should not go too wrong stocking no more than 5 fishes that don't grow beyond 3". If its a 2x1x1, I'll suggest no more than 4fish that don't grow beyond 3".

And last but not least, like what dragonfly_sg has mentioned, do stock up slowly as the tank needs time to adjust to the new bioload everytime you add fish. If stocked too quickly, you can experience an ammonia spike which can cause a tank crash.

• SRC Member

looking for this interesting fish.. yellow-faced jawfish

it'll bury itself under the sand right?

issit common in LFS?

was at CF last week, they do not have them...

any special characteristics of it that i have to take note of????

Carpe Diem~!!!

• SRC Member

"the maintainability and effort to keep them healthy would probably erode your enjoyment"

hmmmm.... its tougher to keep them because the tank is considered small and any slight changes would affect the fishes easily? haha...

the rule? you have to do your homework, surf the net find out. I did that several yrs ago, not going to dig for you, LOL.

All I can say is eg: if the net says min 2 lr/fish, just follow. well, you cant have too much lr in a small tank and water also too less.

a 2ft tank is just nice for new comers but the real problem does not lies with the 2ft tank. New comers always tend to be impatience and overstock.

• SRC Member
looking for this interesting fish.. yellow-faced jawfish

it'll bury itself under the sand right?

issit common in LFS?

was at CF last week, they do not have them...

any special characteristics of it that i have to take note of????

if the tank height is high away from the sand, it is still ok as they wiont able to jump so high except if you buy an olympic jumper.