Water quality! nitrate level!

For FOWLR, what nitrate level is ok?

I mean what nitrate level would be safe for the fishes as well as keep nuisance algae & crayno (red slime algae) under control.

& what is ur level on nitrates in ur tank!

25ppm is consider high.

...but Mine's 40ppm and above! My fish is still surviving though. Other than that, Ammonia 0, NO2 0, Temp 29 - 30deg, PH 8.1 -8.2, salinity 1.024.

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

25ppm is consider high.

...but Mine's 40ppm and above! My fish is still surviving though. Other than that, Ammonia 0, NO2 0, Temp 29 - 30deg, PH 8.1 -8.2, salinity 1.024.

I understand that fishes can survive at 100ppm and below. I have dun a test in most LFS and their water is at least 80ppm. wondering how their fishes can survive. :unsure:

FYI, mine was at 100ppm for a period of time until I introduced denitrator,

• SRC Member

Mine is 40-60 ppm too!

Had plans to keep few hardy corals like buttons etc...but i doubt it will survive at such high levels of nitrates!

Upgraded skimmer & reduced feeding all.. but no use!

Anybody had success keeping hardy coral in high nitrates..other than mushrooms

orsony,

How much did it reduce after the denitrator?

Tell us more about it?

Mine is 40-60 ppm too!

Had plans to keep few hardy corals like buttons etc...but i doubt it will survive at such high levels of nitrates!

orsony,

Tell us more about it?

my currently NO3 stays at 25ppm. You might want to increase your bio home to reduce the nitrate level. Frequent WC also benefit the fishes.

Hi,

would like to ask if increasing too much bio home will have any adverse effect, currently using 500gm, would adding another 1kg be any good? my tank is jbj 24g and around 8months old.

my no3 would hover around between the color range of 10-20ppm, doing weekly wc also...

• SRC Member
For FOWLR, what nitrate level is ok?

I mean what nitrate level would be safe for the fishes as well as keep nuisance algae & crayno (red slime algae) under control.

& what is ur level on nitrates in ur tank!

I have a friend who has a fish only tank with very less LR and small refugium. His nitrate level is a lot over than 120 ppm for many years. His fishes still live many years. So I dont think fishes really care on high level nitrate. But high nitrate level always made his tank fast grown algaes.

• SRC Member

In an aquarium, we maintain a ecological balance. so if there's too much or too little of anything, its no good.

and of course there's usually a band of tolerance before drastic things start happening.

I also feel that fish are generally quite ok with nitrates.

---------------------------------------------

The Deep Blue Sea in My HDB!

http://myfishyroomates.blogspot.com

• SRC Supporter
Mine is 40-60 ppm too!

orsony,

Tell us more about it?

Bro, my blasto managed to survived thru 31 degrees of water without any w c for 4 months or proper skimmer, or anything exp equipment but can see colour fading. Maybe it's luck. But i have decided to stop corals liao.... just see how this blasto do and try to maintain as long as possible. Now back to dosing all the calcium, Stronium, etc.....

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

would like to ask if increasing too much bio home will have any adverse effect, currently using 500gm, would adding another 1kg be any good? my tank is jbj 24g and around 8months old.

my no3 would hover around between the color range of 10-20ppm, doing weekly wc also...

i have a mixture of about 15kg of biohome plus and biohome plus ultra in my sump for my 422. would say that it definately make my tank very very stable after a extended period of time after the bacteria are cultivated. Go for it, however, it would take time to cultivate those bac to reduce nitrate

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member
i have a mixture of about 15kg of biohome plus and biohome plus ultra in my sump for my 422. would say that it definately make my tank very very stable after a extended period of time after the bacteria are cultivated. Go for it, however, it would take time to cultivate those bac to reduce nitrate

i assume that you dun use macro algae or denitrator?

How efficient would you rate biohome with a rating of 10? Whats ur nitrate level now after using them?

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

i assume that you dun use macro algae or denitrator?

How efficient would you rate biohome with a rating of 10? Whats ur nitrate level now after using them?

i dun ... i nvr test for nitrate... nvr need to clean my tank glass for algae... anyway seldom switch on light for my fowlr ... at the most 2-3 hours per day.but my ammonia and nitrite stay zero... nitrate i nvr measure... will be great if someone come over to help me measure =)

change water at 5% each time per week. biohome .... 8/10 at least for the aerobic bacteria i can testify... anaerobic... wait till i measure.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• 3 weeks later...
i dun ... i nvr test for nitrate... nvr need to clean my tank glass for algae... anyway seldom switch on light for my fowlr ... at the most 2-3 hours per day.but my ammonia and nitrite stay zero... nitrate i nvr measure... will be great if someone come over to help me measure =)

change water at 5% each time per week. biohome .... 8/10 at least for the aerobic bacteria i can testify... anaerobic... wait till i measure.

Wow 15kg. I only have 2kg of bio home plus. Looks like it is time to buy more :)

event.png