LPS bleaching

straydum

• SRC Member

every LPS that i get seem to be bleaching, except my bubble. the most obvious one is my hammer and brain.

nitrate: 10ppm

nitrite 0.0ppm

alkalinity (dkh): 9

pH: 8.4

ammonia: 0.00ppm

sg: 1.024

ca: 450

mg: >1400

temp: 26°C

i'm using 4x24w T5 with API tubes (1 month old). does anyone know why LPS bleach?

• Senior Reefer

no la that should be fine. around 8-10 hours sufficient...

hmm i dunno why ur corals bleaching. usually bleach becoz of insufficient or extreme lighting and/or high heat. did u check ur PO4?

• SRC Member

sometimes it is really hard to tell what happened from your little post.

We need to know more about your measuring kits' age, brand, etc...

It could be the flow of water.

If the tank is too small, alot of things will swing high and low, eg: temperature,...

BEST with pics of your tank.

We need more info: tank age, water age,...

It could be new tank syndrome too.

• SRC Member
every LPS that i get seem to be bleaching, except my bubble. the most obvious one is my hammer and brain.

nitrate: 10ppm

nitrite 0.0ppm

alkalinity (dkh): 9

pH: 8.4

ammonia: 0.00ppm

sg: 1.024

ca: 450

mg: >1400

temp: 26°C

i'm using 4x24w T5 with API tubes (1 month old). does anyone know why LPS bleach?

Your lighting too strong liao....2 x T5 is good enough if you are using ATI tubes...I believe yr tank height is 1ft plus, right?

Coz i bought a 4 x 24W fixture from a brother here last week and i switch on all 4 tubes for 8 hrs and when i come home, i saw my LPS corals like brain, echinata and acans not too happy...not opening up as usual and they vomit some stuffs...sign of stress.

So, when i switch on only 2 tubes, they are much better and expand like wat they usually do.

LPS like hammer, frogspawn and octo can tahan 4x 24w...thats y, these you can place right on top.

But for blasto, prata, cynarina, brain, acans and echinata...no need strong lights.

l7304smr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member
Your lighting too strong liao....2 x T5 is good enough if you are using ATI tubes...I believe yr tank height is 1ft plus, right?

Coz i bought a 4 x 24W fixture from a brother here last week and i switch on all 4 tubes for 8 hrs and when i come home, i saw my LPS corals like brain, echinata and acans not too happy...not opening up as usual and they vomit some stuffs...sign of stress.

So, when i switch on only 2 tubes, they are much better and expand like wat they usually do.

LPS like hammer, frogspawn and octo can tahan 4x 24w...thats y, these you can place right on top.

But for blasto, prata, cynarina, brain, acans and echinata...no need strong lights.

huh? 1 ft? I think this bro words are very correct. You can also lift up your lights a lot higher to reduce its intensity.

no offence but I have to disagree with a couple of statements here. First of all, ATI tubes does not make the T5s strong, it is the combination of tubes, ballast and fixture. Next, you cannot tell the intensity of light without using a par/lux meter.

How long your coral were under the lights before they bleach. Fast bleaching may be due to strong lights while long term bleaching may be due to lack of light. Ans there are also other factors that can trigger bleaching, light is just one of them.