Cycling of your new live Rocks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Yup. Btw the peroxide also dissolves the organic matter holding the live rock together. So don't put the live rock into the peroxide solution for too long. 2 days shld do it. Or the rock starts crumbling.

• SRC Member
On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 5:56 PM, sharonleong said:

hydrogen peroxide where you get that?

After soaking it will there be any bacteria left??? I doubt so ya...

Hydrogen Peroxide can be purchased from Guardian Pharmacy, in 100ml or 500ml bottles.  Depending on stock.

• SRC Member
11 hours ago, Junwei said:

Yup. Btw the peroxide also dissolves the organic matter holding the live rock together. So don't put the live rock into the peroxide solution for too long. 2 days shld do it. Or the rock starts crumbling.

Soaking LR in diluted concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide for 3-5 mins is enough to kill algae and usually enough to force worms & crabs out.  Soaking for 2 days.....that's a bit extreme.

just to check is it to pour on the surface of the rocks or need to pour into the pail and put the rocks in ?

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• SRC Member
10 hours ago, DottyClown said:

Hydrogen Peroxide can be purchased from Guardian Pharmacy, in 100ml or 500ml bottles.  Depending on stock.

thank you.

5 hours ago, Junwei said:

Doesn't matter really. But what I do is pour directly into the rock so it absorbs all the peroxide. Theb add water to dilute. It fizzes like mad this way.

pour directly after which you need to soak it with fresh water for how long or just place back into the tank?

• SRC Member

thats the best thing abt hydrogen peroxide.... it is non-toxic... the by products are oxygen and water. I washed mine under running tap, soaked it for 1 hr and it was ready to be put into tank with livestock. Any minute traces of leftover product on the rock is converted to oxygen.

If you buy 3% concentration, use it undiluted if possible for quick results!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

the hydrogen peroxide that you refer to is it this one : http://www.guardian.com.sg/hydrogen-peroxide-3-solution-500ml/p/100303 ? 

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

• 2 years later...

Gd morning reefers,

I recently set up my 5 ft tank and was keen to cycle with the live prawn method, however the tank maker said it was not necessary and proposed dosing microbacter7 and biofuel daily for 7 days and start measuring the water parameters. 

currently at 7th day, the reading is such:

Salinity 1.028
NO3 25
PO4 0.03
CA 500
MG 1500
KH 8.0

Numbers look too good to be true for a week of cycling. I am not in a hurry to put in livestock, so am ok to wait on. However, will the reading change as a wait on? Is the cycling proper? 

• SRC Supporter

Did you check the ammonia level ? Monitoring the ammonia level is the best and correct way to check if the cycling process has been completed.

Yes , some bacteria products is known to speed up the cycling process

Gd morning reefers,
I recently set up my 5 ft tank and was keen to cycle with the live prawn method, however the tank maker said it was not necessary and proposed dosing microbacter7 and biofuel daily for 7 days and start measuring the water parameters. 
currently at 7th day, the reading is such:
Salinity 1.028
NO3 25
PO4 0.03
CA 500
MG 1500
KH 8.0
Numbers look too good to be true for a week of cycling. I am not in a hurry to put in livestock, so am ok to wait on. However, will the reading change as a wait on? Is the cycling proper? 

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 7 months later...