Nuisance Algae

• SRC Supporter

Algae grows in almost every healthy aquarium, no matter how well, or how often the tank is cleaned. There is absolutely no safe way to completely prevent or stop the growth of algae. Once it starts to grow in an aquarium, it does so very rapidly. A small patch of algae can triple in size in a few days.

Like plants, all species of algae need light, water and nutrients to grow. Since an aquarium provides the water, we’re left with two factors that you can control to prevent the rapid accumulation of algae. These are: the amount of light the aquarium receives; and the levels of nutrients dissolved in the water. There are also tap water pretreatment, filtration and sterilization methods that can tremendously reduce the growth rate and accumulation of algae.

Lighting:

By limiting the amount of light that the aquarium receives is one of the most important factor in controlling algae growth. If an aquarium is near a window, algae will grow faster, even if the aquarium does not receive direct sunlight. Leaving the aquarium lights on for more than eight hours a day can also cause rapid algae growth. The aquarium lights should not be on for more than ten hours a day. Fish require no less than six hours of light every day , and coral require not less than 8 hour a day in order to stay healthy.

Nutrients:

Like any plant, algae require food to survive. The three main nutrients that algae need are nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. In an aquarium, these nutrients come from fish waste, uneaten food, the metabolism of beneficial bacteria, and the decay of other organics such as plant debris or even dead algae. There is also a surprisingly high amount of phosphorus in our tap water, this high level of phosphates in the tap water has also been a major cause of rapid algae growth in your aquarium. You can control the accumulation of nitrogen and nutrients when you perform a frequent water change with RD/DI water . Phosphates may be controlled also by using phosphate-removal media in an external filter or by using reverse osmosis water for the aquarium.

Even though there are many different life forms of algae, the root causes and cures are fortunately is similar for all nuisance algae control. Generally speaking, nuisance “algae” can be dealt with successfully by ways of effective nutrient control:

These are some of the ways to prevent nuisance algae growth;

Use only RO or RO/DI water whether you purchase an RO/DI unit or purchase RO/DI water from a commercial source. (Recommended)

Purchase and use Phosphate Removing Products. (Highly Recommended)

Purchase and use Mangrove Plants in your tank or sump. (Recommended)

Runing a refugium with a Deep Sand Bed.

Check to see if your the commercial sea salts you bought contain high levels of phosphate.

Do not overfeed your tank which will cause Nitrate N03 spike .

Siphon uneaten food and other loose material (detritus) from the substrate.

Perform periodic water changes.

By reducing the nitrate (N03) and phosphate ( P04) levels in your tank, your tank will soon be healthy and free of the Green Hair Algae. Many of your tank occupants (corals and other invertebrates) will also benefit from the reduced levels.

• 4 years later...

Please see our FAQ page to understand how Nualgi is impacting algae control in over 2000 trials in US

I have read through your FAQ, so what happens when my display tank has only corals and no fishes? Currently my fishes are in a QT undergoing copper treatment. So who eats up the diatoms?

• SRC Member

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello guys, 

Hope to get some tips and help on how to get rid of bubble algae without using any chemicals. So far, whenever I do my weekly water changes, I will try and siphon some out. Have tried adding emerald crab but it does not work. Tuxedo urchin, snails and yellow tang does not bother with them. Any advise? 

Thank you in advance! 

• SRC Member
Hello guys, 
Hope to get some tips and help on how to get rid of bubble algae without using any chemicals. So far, whenever I do my weekly water changes, I will try and siphon some out. Have tried adding emerald crab but it does not work. Tuxedo urchin, snails and yellow tang does not bother with them. Any advise? 
Thank you in advance! 

As of now, if emerald crabs are not working, only Vibrant can kill bubble algae.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member

Can go with half dose first and observe your corals. Just FYI, ingredient of Vibrant is Lithium. But Underwater Creations never reveal it. Once bubble algae is cleared. Best to do water changes more often to bring Lithium levels down. I myself tried Vibrant before, one or two corals may die but majority of corals will be okay as long as you dose carefully. Also do not dose Vibrant together with any form of carbon dosing.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 11 months later...

Vibrant is definitely the way to go. My tank was infected by bubble algae. Plucking them off didn't help. No matter how careful I was not to pop them. From 5, they multiply to almost 100. Vibrant dosed for 2months and all eradicated. Never appeared ever. I had lps and sps. Never did any harm to any. As long as u follow dosage and be patient, it will do its job nicely

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...